New Jersey | News | Travel

Atlantic City Campaign Wants Gays To Fall In Love Again (There)

DOAC2The Atlantic City Alliance today launched the next phase of its "DO AC" ad campaign, including a version that encouraging same-sex couples to visit the casino town and fall in love again.

Press of Atlantic City reports:

Following up on its $20 million “Do AC” advertising blitz over the spring and summer, the Atlantic City Alliance is spending $6 million to promote the town this fall as a place to “Do Change.”

...

Another print ad features two men sharing a meal under the headline, “Do fall. Do falling in love again.” It will run in a gay publication in hopes of drawing more gay travelers to Atlantic City.

Jeff Guaracino, a spokesman for the Atlantic City Alliance, noted that the gay travel market is worth an estimated $64 billion annually. The alliance’s gay-themed ad is an extension of the marketing efforts that some casinos already do to attract gay and lesbian travelers, he said.

If you click on the image you'll note that the couple here is married, which gives the "falling in love" action its added oomph.

Comments

1. Isn't Atlantic City still in New Jersey, a non-marriage state? So it's okay to spend our tourism money there but we can't get married there. No thanks.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 24, 2012 6:58:03 PM

2. The only thing I can say about this is that it appears to be motivated purely by money. As such, I'm not really interested. Once we get full rights in New Jersey, I might reconsider.

Posted by: jason | Sep 24, 2012 7:14:56 PM

3. Why would any gay person promote separate but equal?

Posted by: phil | Sep 24, 2012 7:20:32 PM

4. Andy,
    I'm taking the high ground.
    There must be something wrong with the site.
    I have never been censored by Towleroad before.
    The thread that was taken down must have been defective in some way, or a hoax, or the "Melman Party" was cancelled.

I just don't want to believe that Towleroad has begun censoring legitimate threads and comments. That would be the kiss of death.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 24, 2012 7:26:32 PM

5. I agree with the first comment. They want our money but they don't want to give us our equal rights so no I won't be visiting.

It's separate but equal all over again and I won't support that. Let's hope the whole marketing campaign fails.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 24, 2012 8:10:08 PM

6. i agree with the above comments, then again, i guess we should boycott the other non-marital equality states as well

Posted by: t | Sep 24, 2012 8:20:33 PM

7. ...which means approximately 90% of the country

Posted by: t | Sep 24, 2012 8:21:11 PM

8. @T: Vermont is lovely this time of year.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 24, 2012 9:22:29 PM

9. sorry governor lardass vetoed same sex marriage why visit NJ? Connecticut has gambling NY has beaches Vermont and New Hampshire are more beautiful and they all believe in equality.

Posted by: walter | Sep 24, 2012 10:32:49 PM

10. Thats great. Just so they stay away from Donald Chumps establisnments.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 24, 2012 11:30:34 PM

11. Atlantic City Alliance isn't the group of people who can legislate or litigate marriage equality, so give them a break. Sure, they are trying to drum up business which leads to profits. That's what they do. I think it's a good sign, however, when a large company or organization recognizes us as a desirable demographic.

But on another note, when Andrew mentioned "you'll note that the couple here is married," my first thought was, "But are they married to each other?"

(For avoidance of doubt, that's a joke.)

Posted by: Scot Colford | Sep 24, 2012 11:50:32 PM

12. Do Fall. Do Falling

In Love Again.

That's just bad. I had to read it three time to figure out what they were trying to say.

Posted by: Brett | Sep 25, 2012 12:10:22 AM

13. Fall in love, but don't get married because it's an abomination in the eyes of God. No thanks, Atlantic City, gay people should be spending their money on places that are just as lovely but support their rights.

Posted by: Winston | Sep 25, 2012 1:25:02 AM

14. With any luck at all, you can vacation in Maine instead. I have some high hopes for this November's vote there. I hope someone's compiling a list of businesses somewhere that shows what businesses put money up to keep us from marrying. I don't want to spend a red cent with any of them.

Posted by: Buckie | Sep 25, 2012 2:25:51 AM

15. GOV. Chris Christie has made it very clear that we are NOT WELCOME in New Jersey.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Sep 25, 2012 6:26:27 AM

16. I would gladly "Do AC!" (Anderson Cooper that is.)

Posted by: Tom A. | Sep 25, 2012 9:58:38 AM

17. Very nice. - as a gay life coach and a gay matchmaker I am happy to see businesses embrace gay men as a community with strength and values.

Posted by: Gay Coach Gay Matchmaker | Oct 8, 2012 2:59:06 PM