2012 Election | Canada | Film and TV | Mormon | News | Religion | Rick Perry | San Francisco | Sports

News: Nepal, Billie Joe Armstrong, Rugby, LDS

1NewsIcon Nine climbers are dead and six are missing after an avalanche in Nepal.

KickAss11NewsIcon Aaron Taylor-Johnson looks ready for action on the Kick-Ass 2 set.

1NewsIcon Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird this weekend vowed to "stand up to the violent mobs that seek to criminalize homosexuality".

1NewsIcon Happy 50th birthday to The Jetsons!

1NewsIcon San Franciscans are mentally preparing for anti-gay, drunk-driving, Prop 8-advocating Archbishop-designate Salvatore Cordileone to take his seat at the head of the Catholic table there. A taste of Cordileone's homophobic rhetoric: "If we misuse the gift of sexuality, we're going to suffer the consequences, and I firmly believe we are suffering the consequences."

1NewsIcon Australia's The Purchas Cup brought gay rugby players from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane together for the very first time... That could be the opening of a skin flick.

1NewsIcon David Twede, an editor at MormonThink who has been critical of Mitt Romney's presidential candidacy, says he now faces excommunication from the LDS.

Perrydog1NewsIcon Rick Perry's campaign threatened to sue the Huffington Post if it ran a story about gay rumors that have long plagued the failed Republican presidential candidate. "[Aide Ted Delisi] said Perry would be owning a big chunk of AOL, the publicly traded company that owns HuffPo, if this came out. Ted seemed kind of pissed off at the media in general, saying that standards had obviously declined if this is what passes for news these days. Ted was clear that he thought the story was complete hogwash."

1NewsIcon The owner of a Portland bar is being investigated for allegedly kicking out an LGBT performance troupe and their friends. One piece of evidence is a voicemail he left in which he blamed cross-dressing or transitioned customers for hurting his business: "People think that A: We're a tranny bar, or B: We're a gay bar. We are neither. People are not coming in because they just don't want to be here on a Friday night now."

Bagirl1NewsIcon These super-heroes have also been politicians. Didn't anyone note that Superman is an alien?

1NewsIcon Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day has checked into rehab after having a breakdown during a Las Vegas performance this weekend.

1NewsIcon Expect conservatives to start griping about how the Broward County School District in Florida is "encouraging" students to celebrate LGBT history month. Glenn Beck's The Blaze is getting the party started.

1NewsIcon Joe Arpaio v 2.0?

Comments

1. Funny, I thought Cordileone's comment was totally apropos for describing the epidemic of child abuse by RC priests.

Posted by: Kenneth | Sep 23, 2012 6:00:22 PM

2. Re John Baird, I've always thought he was gay as a goose. He's of a certain age, handsome, single and kind of gives off that sausage-lovin' glow. He's my Member of Parliament (I live in his parliamentary riding), but as much as I think he's kind of hot, and he has always stood up for gay rights, I just can't bring myself to vote Conservative. Perhaps he'll be defeated in the next election, and then he can come over to my house and we'll have a private little coming-out party for two.

Posted by: Squirt | Sep 23, 2012 6:41:06 PM

3. interesting that my last post was deleted...

Posted by: mikenola | Sep 23, 2012 8:12:26 PM

4. Squirt... I've seen Baird in gay bars, and his staff is all young, handsome, male and dark-haired... The gay equivelent of female secretaries in tight angora sweaters and pearls. He's gay as a goose... I thought it was the most open of open secrets. And he's handsome? Ugh... Not to me... He's always struck me as a total sleaze hitting on young twinks. But to each there own... At least the closet case is finally supporting gay rights for a change.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 23, 2012 9:15:35 PM

5. wHY is that religious filth not in prison for drunk driving? Of course, he should also be in prison for supporting child rape.

Posted by: Aulton | Sep 23, 2012 9:55:57 PM

6. Dear Rick Perry:

Go ahead. Make Arianna's day. Sue HuffPo at your own risk.

See, Rick, YOU know and I know that those aren't rumours. It will be fun when Arianna/Aol/Huffpo starts dragging in the witnesses to court.

So, Rick, I'd suggest you let sleeping dogs lie. Or, as in the pic, keep them in your mouth.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 23, 2012 11:51:17 PM

7. When Cordileone refers to the 'consequences' of 'misusing' 'sexuality', I think what he means is he's not getting nearly enough. From adults, anyway.

Posted by: Catholicspeak Interpreter | Sep 24, 2012 2:54:12 AM

8. The Perry/gay connections have got to be one of the top three [#1 in Texas] open secrets in the country. But, it's one thing to make claims, it's another to offer solid proof in a court of law.

So, Stephen Harper [who Canadian liberals despise] has a gay foreign minister? Various 'conservative' governments in the U.S. at the federal and state levels have also had and have homosexuals in prominent positions.

Billie Joe Armstrong: Anybody know...is he gay/bisexual? Just curious. My cynical self would say his 'outburst' was contrived for publicity, but it probably wasn't.

One of the main reasons many entertainers have substance abuse problems is they must always act professional and be ready to perform, work horrible hours, have lots of downtime, and some makes tons of easy $.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 24, 2012 7:11:38 AM

9. I don't think blaming "trannies" for hurting your bar business is discrimination. Bar owners can also control the behavior of customers and performers.

Posted by: anon | Sep 24, 2012 10:01:31 AM

10. RatBastard... Yes, Harper has a gay foreign minister, as long as he stays in the closet. I don't think that's major progress for the conservatives. Harper's wife has long been rumored to be lesbian, and Baird acts as her plus one/beard at social events because the Harper's hate each other.... Ah... Family values at work!

Posted by: Graphicjack | Sep 24, 2012 10:24:19 AM

11. "Misuse the gift of sexuality?" isn't he celibate - he's not misusing his, he's just throwing it away!

Posted by: JD | Sep 24, 2012 10:59:08 AM

12. I also don't fault the bar owner in Portland. His concerns are legit, and as another poster said, bars and clubs control who and what gets into and goes on in their establishments all the time.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 24, 2012 11:09:25 AM