Brendon Ayanbadejo | Chris Kluwe | Discrimination | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

NFL Commish Roger Goodell Cheering For Brendon Ayanbadejo

Brendon-ayanbadejo-noh8During a lunch with Politico yesterday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked about his thoughts concerning Brendon Ayanbadejo, the Baltimore Ravens player whose support for marriage equality garnered him a hateful letter from Maryland Assembly Delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr asking him to stop endorsing such civil rights. And Goodell made clear he stands with the footballer.

"I think in this day and age, people are going to speak up about what they think is important. They speak as individuals and that’s an important part of democracy," Goodell told the site.

Of course Goodell is not the only football big-wig backing Ayanbadejo. Chris Kluwe, the Minnesota Viking who has come out for same-sex marriage, tore into Burns via letter this week.

"What on earth would possess you to be so mind-boggingly stupid?" Kluwe asked the Democrat. "It baffles me that a man such as yourself, a man who relies on that same First Amendment to pursue your own religious studies without fear of persecution from the state, could somehow justify stifling another person’s right to speech. To call that hypocritical would be to do a disservice to the word."

Kluwe went on: "How does gay marriage, in any way shape or form, affect your life? If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis?"

Ayanbadejo appeared on CNN yesterday morning to discuss the brouhaha, and he also sent a letter to Politico celebrating all the love and support he's received since Burns called him out, effectively bolstering Ayanbadejo's position of a voice for equality. "I was not silenced" said the player. "In fact, what happened instead was pretty amazing — thousands of people joined me and spoke out in support of marriage equality. I even received messages from Steelers fans! Instead of being silenced, my team and my league stood with me in support."

Comments

1. This makes me happy :-)

Posted by: Cody | Sep 13, 2012 9:36:56 AM

2. I think it's misleading to say that Goodell is "cheering for Brendon Ayanbadejo" or that he "stands with" him. Would that that were true but he merely defended Brendon's right to express his opinion. It's a good thing that Goodell defended Brendon's right to express himself but that is not the same as endorsing Brendon's pro-equality stance, which your language would be read by most to imply.

Posted by: Patric | Sep 13, 2012 9:38:01 AM

3. "Of course Goodell is not the only football big-wig backing Ayanbadejo. Chris Kluwe..."

Um, Chris Kluwe is a punter. I adore him, but he is decidedly NOT a "football big-wig," unless, by your definition, every single pro player is a football big-wig.

Posted by: Dan E | Sep 13, 2012 10:47:46 AM

4. "I think it's misleading to say that Goodell is "cheering for Brendon Ayanbadejo" or that he "stands with" him. Would that that were true...."

Maybe based on just that one statement, it might be an exaggeration, but Roger Goodell is decidedly liberal in his political views, so he probably actually is "cheering for Brendan" in reality, even if his public statements could not be interpreted that way....

Posted by: Rick | Sep 13, 2012 10:54:20 AM

5. I'm proud to say that I'm one of the Steelers' fans he refers to. Thank you once again Brendon! See you week ten.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 13, 2012 2:18:11 PM

6. 80+ years of the NFL and still no out gay players. We hear the talk. Where's the action? We keep hearing players are "ok" with gay players yet none have come out and none have been seleted from the draft. I think that speaks volumes.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 13, 2012 2:40:30 PM

7. National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell IS A FOOL.

WHEN PEOPLE BECOME COMFORTABLE WITH HOMOSEXUAL PLAYERS, THE PROBLEMS WILL START. I GUARANTEE - WE WILL START HEARING ABOUT SAME-SEX HARASSMENT IN THE NFL.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 13, 2012 6:01:35 PM

8. "DAN E,"

THANK YOU, SIR. Chris Kluwe IS AN ASS!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 13, 2012 6:06:01 PM

9. "BILL,"

Towleroad HAS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A NEGRO PLAYER WHO RECENTLY "CAME-OUT" AFTER RETIRING.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 13, 2012 6:11:05 PM

10. "CHRISTOPHER ALLEN WHORE-TON"

You sir, are an ASS!

Love
    Chicklets

Posted by: Chicklets | Sep 13, 2012 7:09:13 PM

11. "Chicklets,"

IF YOU SUPPORT THAT RACIST LETTER WRITTEN BY Mr. Kluwe TO Mr. Burns, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT YOU.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON