2012 Election | News | Paul Ryan

BigGayDeal.com

Paul Ryan's Secret Service Name Is 'Bowhunter'

RyanBow

Just thought you might like to know that the Secret Service calls GOP vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan "Bowhunter," because the pro-life politician kills deer and other wildlife with a bow. His wife Jenna's handle is "Buttercup," for reasons unknown.

AFTER THE JUMP, an image of Ryan with one of his kills.

RyanDeer

Comments

1. You know, I am a long-time animal rights activist and when my uncles took me out hunting when I was a little boy, I always let out a holler right before they pulled the trigger so as to scare the "prey" away, whether it was a bird or a deer or what have you. Needless to say, they stopped taking me with them.

That said, I don't see why this story is relevant to gay men, in particular. I would love to be able to say that gay men are more compassionate towards animals than the rest of the population, but I can't--as many gay men have poo-pooed my vegetarianism as other people have and even those who are anti-hunting (as they should be) seem to have no problem with gobbling down a sirloin with relish or even eating foie gras.

My point? That contradiction just makes it look like the anti-hunting stand is just an anti-masculinity/anti-sports/anti-male stand more than a matter of real principle.

The goose or the calf that was force-fed to produce your foie gras or your melt-in-the-mouth veal was subjected to far greater cruelty than a deer that was killed instantly with a rifle shot or an arrow to the heart..

So any of you who continue to eat meat and relish it just don't have any credibility when it comes to the hunting issue and just come across as reinforcing the idea that you are sissies rather than that you really care about animals.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 4, 2012 11:25:08 AM

2. ...because
    Pinocchio was taken?
    D-Bag too offensive?

Posted by: QJ201 | Sep 4, 2012 11:27:21 AM

3. He looks a complete psycho.

Posted by: Alejo | Sep 4, 2012 11:29:59 AM

4. My understanding is that bow hunting is more cruel than hunting with a gun, because the animal suffers longer before it dies. Sometimes even escaping and slowly bleeding to death.
    Come to think of it, that would be Ryan's philosophy, let the sick and elderly die a slow death with no help from the government.

Posted by: rick | Sep 4, 2012 11:32:33 AM

5. While not pro-hunting, my entire family does it, and I understand that some consider it sport. However, it does not in any sense of the word make one 'masculine' by slaying animals.

Modern hunting is nothing like it was 100 years ago; weapons and implements are more modern, and environments easier to hunt in. People pride themselves as veritable Teddy Roosevelts on African safari when all they've done is kill animals in most controlled habitats.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 4, 2012 11:33:20 AM

6. Well, I guess "Marathon Man" as a code name was effectively ruled out by recent events...

And Romney won the coin toss and gets to be "Pants-On-Fire"...

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 4, 2012 11:39:51 AM

7. Just for the record, the second comment from "Rick" was not from me, the real Rick, although the first one was from me.

As to the second Rick's point, it really depends. If the gunshot wound was to a peripheral part of the body, then it takes just as long for an animal to die as it would with an arrow wound.....and it would take more time if the arrow hit the animals heart.

@Gregoire I agree with you, but the fact is that killing an animal is considered "macho"--in fact, that is the main motivating factor for those who do it, as pathetic as that is.

But all that is really besides the main point.

The point is that you cannot pretend to care about cruelty to animals by opposing hunting and then turn around and gobble down a steak and think that you have any real principles. Most meat is produced on factory farms that treat animals like commodities and at least the wild animals who are hunted had a life before they died, which is not the case with farmed livestock.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 4, 2012 11:40:22 AM

8. Ryan is a doctrinaire Opus Dei member - hell bent on promoting Catholic Dogma in public and political life.

He has spent his life following the inner workings of Opus Dei, climbing the pole of professional success to push Catholic 'pro-life' views.
    Neither he nor Opus Dei are interested in the poor, the deprived, or social equality.
    The whole raison d'etre of Opus Dei is the infiltration of the upper classes and the gaining of power for promoting doctrine.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 4, 2012 11:41:38 AM

9. Ahh, Rick. As delusional as ever.

Your vegetarianism is admirable, possibly the only admirable quality you possess. No one here poo-poos it. The reason people like to point it out is because it runs contrary to your incessant blasting of anyone who doesn't live up to traditionally masculine roles.

Bowhunting is abhorrent. There is no need to make animals suffer like that.

Posted by: endo | Sep 4, 2012 11:47:42 AM

10. Too bad Michele Bachmann didn't get the job... Marcus could be "Beau Hunter".

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 4, 2012 11:56:02 AM

11. aren't secret service code names supposed to be kept secret for security reasons?

Posted by: bd | Sep 4, 2012 11:57:39 AM

12. @JACKFKNTWIST, interesting, man: I can SO see Paul Ryan secretly beating himself with a belt for the sake of his f***ed up lies.

He is messed-up-backwards-Catholic/Opus-Dei, u know.

But a guy like that shouldn't be running the country.

Never mind that he cannot be counted to tell the truth to a blind, drowning swimmer asking for directions.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 4, 2012 12:06:27 PM

13. btw, Paul Ryan is no George Washington.

Paul Ryan is a worm of a man, sorry.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 4, 2012 12:08:27 PM

14. Ryan seems to be really insecure with his masculinity. All this, coupled with the marathon lie. It's weird.

Posted by: db | Sep 4, 2012 12:24:50 PM

15. So typical. The Let's-show-everyone-how-cool-I-am-by-posing-with-my-"trophy" photo. Of course, I'd like to see the video of this p#ssy field dressing his own kill. Bow hunting is for macho men and by "macho", I mean self-aggrandizing @ssholes.

With deer hunting, as long as it's not a canned hunt, at the very least, a skilled hunter knows what to shoot at and what not to and that the meat from the hunt is far less likely to be the product of cruelty, like factory farming. But the pathetic little-boy mentality of posing with his bow and then the real-life consequences of bow hunting, especially if you miss or aren't perfectly accurate? It's reassuring to know that the douchiness doesn't end at the political campaigning lies.

Posted by: ESA | Sep 4, 2012 12:29:32 PM

16. Rick's comment is dead on. There is _much_ to criticize Paul Ryan for, obviously, and I find his hunting repellant, but anyone who eats meat - thereby supporting an industry that commoditizes animals - and finds this story offensive is simply a hypocrite. Yes, perhaps hunting with a bow is marginally more cruel than hunting with a gun, but the meat industry is just as bad, if not far, far worse. At least the deer tasted freedom in its life; cows and chickens in feeder lots and coops fair far worse.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 4, 2012 12:32:30 PM

17. This effing pussy uses a release aid over a finger draw. Some "bowhunter".

Posted by: Otkon | Sep 4, 2012 12:34:03 PM

18. What does it say that you have to prove you're masculine? He must not be if he has to take pictures of himself for publicity to show how uber masculine he is...just a tad overcompensating, is my opinion. Sarah Palin on the other hand, with pictures of her shooting wolves or deer or whatever from a helicopter is truly in her souless environment.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Sep 4, 2012 12:42:57 PM

19. @Esa

do you remember the 'hunting' Cheney did in a controlled "hunting farm" (in Texas, I think). He'd kill then go back to the club house for a scotch and soda, leaving the dressing to the hired help -- "I just like to kill-leave the messy stuff to others". I think it was at that time he shot his "dear" friend in the face. At least Sarah Palin (or so the story goes) actually dressed the moose or whatever it was she so gleefully killed.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Sep 4, 2012 12:49:04 PM

20. In Canada, such a photo would be political suicide.
    No doubt Harper does it too, but anyone dumb enough to take a pic would soon find him/herself in the crosshairs.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 4, 2012 12:50:43 PM

21. This image immediately made me think of the movie "We Need To Talk About Kevin" - where the young protagonist commits mass murder with a bow & arrow. Sorry for the spoiler.

Posted by: Boo | Sep 4, 2012 12:54:02 PM

22. Comes across as a "nice guy" but clearly he's not. Just another right-wing nutjob with no compassion whatsover -- for animals, for anyone not like him.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Sep 4, 2012 1:09:16 PM

23. After Ryan's statements about running marathonS, plural, and his "best time" I'll believe that deer is one he actually hunted AFTER I've seen affidavits from disinterested 3rd parties.

With his constant talk about his workout regimen, false statements about marathon running, and now this I'd say it's pretty clear Ryan feels he has something to prove. I don't know WHY he feels like he has to prove his masculinity but it seems he does.

It's unrelated, but the fact that his wife was a paid lobbyist for the Tobacco Industry shows she's every bit as soulless and craven as he is.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 4, 2012 1:29:10 PM

24. @WOODROAD34

How could anyone forget? And yes, right here at home. No surprise there. A quick Google search also brought up

"http://nobloodforhubris.blogspot.com/2006/02/canned-hunts-killing-for-fun.html"

And indeed, at least Palin is at home in her natural, soul-less habitat of stupidity. Ryan here appears similarly uninformed, but that is certainly no surprise either. He makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: ESA | Sep 4, 2012 1:38:39 PM

25. Oh, great... so the GOP traded Caribou Barbie for Caribou Ken. THAT'S a big improvement...

Posted by: graphicjack | Sep 4, 2012 2:04:02 PM