Comments

1. jamal49 says

I picked up on this the other day, Wednesday, I think. I wish I had known how to tip off Towleroad because it was sooooo out-there loony that it almost seemed like a parody and I thought it would have been to see up here.

Thankfully, Ms. Maddow has done a wonderful job taking the piss out of this nonsense.

Sadly, though, it has been gaining momentum in the right-wing, loony-tunes, wing-nut internet world (along with a few GOP types).

For the record, Jerome Corsi is not only the WND’s resident birther. He’s also the guy who smeared Sen. John Kerry, who was the Democratic candidate for President during the 2004 presidential election cycle, with the infamous “Swift Boat Veterans for Truth” campaign that denigrated Sen. Kerry’s heroic service during the Vietnam War.

That campaign, fanned and flamed by FOX News, WND and other conservative media, did have a very negative effect on Kerry’s campaign.

Jerome Corsi is a vile man. Fortunately, I don’t think he’s going to get far with this latest wing-nut outrage.

The irony is that Corsi himself has been rumoured to be a major closet case.

2. Diogenes Arktos says

I quite agree with Jamal49. Since TR apparently follows RightWingWatch.org, I’m surprised it didn’t pick up on the 12 September 2012 post.

BTW – As someone who demanded Obama’s birth certificate, I would like proof how Corsi managed to get a PhD from Harvard.

The WND article Maddow quoted from:

The recent Huffington Post analysis:

3. gr8guya says

At this point, NOTHING surprises me. People are going to keep on creating absurd fictions about Obama. And this is nothing new. There are always people with a visceral dislike of any President.

What’s different now is that these loonies have access to mass media. They can get web sites that seem to legitimize their claims, so that people can say, “I saw it on the web. It must be true.”

And there are few nationally-recognized authority figures to stop the rumors. Years ago, a Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow would have crushed these stories right away. Now, there is no one to do that. Pity.

4. Robert says

@GR8GUYA … “Years ago, a Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow would have crushed these stories right away. Now, there is no one to do that.”

Seems to me Rachel’s doing a pretty good job at that AND having fun with it.

5. Polly Gamous says

These WND people are the same ones who were circulating rumors of Romney’s polygamous marriages about a year ago, and who have investigated claims of the existence of multiple families in Mexico, where Romney’s father was born in a polygamous Mormon “colony”; in Canada just over the border from both Michigan, where Romney “grew up”, and not far from New Hampshire where Romney maintains a “vacation home”; and in France, where Romney did his “Mormon mission” as a “young man”. The WND also circulated evidence that Romney’s great-grandfather was an active and open polygamist.

The WND “journalists” also claim that these secret families are the real reason that Romney can’t release his tax returns–that the returns will unturn a paper trail of tax deductions and tax credits for the support of Romney’s “extended families” (aka Ann Romney’s ‘sister-wives’)–the implication beigng that the Amercian government has unknowingly underwritten Romney’s polygamous marriages for the last 40-something years.

I am ambivalent as to the mainstream media’s total silence on WND’s below-the-radar journalism.

6. My2cents says

Corsi is a wacko, but still manages to fool smart people. He’s often featured on one of my favorite radio shows – “Coast to Coast” with George Noory. Although come to think of it, Noory is more than a bit too gullible at times…

7. Caliban says

Jon Stewart did a segment about Clint Eastwood’s too cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs speech at the RNC that make what I think is a really great observation. There seems to be a Barack Obama that only Republicans can see.

Where the rest of us see Barack Obama the center-left, somewhat wonkish politician, THEY see a Kenyan-born, Muslim, socialist (if not communist), death-panel promoting, atheist and possible anti-Christ hellbent (literally) on the destruction of the US and it’s people. In other words, a Barack Obama that doesn’t exist and only they can see. He’s their Boogeyman and a complete fabrication of the GOP, something they’ve been working on since before the 2008 election.

I lost a LOT of respect for John McCain during that election, not least for elevating Sarah Palin out of the obscurity she so richly deserves, but even HE had the decency to tell audiences that no, Barack Obama is not a secret Muslim. (Palin of course is a different story.)

8. says

it illustrates the divide between parties and allegiances right now, more than ever.

one side is specifically critical of specific policies, election-campaign tactics, party platforms and their negative effects.

the other side is busy making up stories and creating lies to argue against.

as i’ve said before, and others have echoed, it’s like having those political discussions with right-leaning people – you cite the specifics of policy and they say “Obama is a Muslim Socialist!”

we object to policy. they object to a person being a democrat.

ugh.

9. Peter says

Unless Corsi’s so-called Harvard Ph.D. advisors come forward and publicly testify to Corsi’s credentials, it wouldn’t hurt to suspect the man may also be stretching the truth here as well.

10. theo says

I think most people miss the point with Jerome Corsi. He’s a modern-day huckster, interested only in the money from selling books and conning people into paying him for speaking gigs.

He preys on dim-witted idiots and conspiracy theorists who desperately want someone – anyone – to confirm their worst fears. And there’s a TON of money in preying on these idiots.

11. jason says

I know of a lot of men who had romantic liaisons with men during their twenties and thirties but then decided to move on to women because they preferred the settled life of heterosexual marriage and the children it brings into the world.

Why is it so absurd to believe that Obama might be one of those? Does it offend you that Obama might be bisexual at the very least?

In any case, what does Rachel Maddow understand about male sexuality? Compared to female sexuality, male sexuality is far too honest a paradigm for women to know anything about it.

12. jhr459 says

I say more power to Corsi and I hope he runs this story into the ground. Nothing could help Obama’s campaign more!!! This is better than the birther BS. The Republicans are going to rue the day that they didn’t try to downplay this extreme end of the party.

13. Bob says

@JASON — even more nonsensical than usual
    1- ANYTHING abour Obama than could be dug up would have come out in 2008.
    2- You get the prize for Stupidest Misogynistic remark of the month

14. ChristopherM says

“PC” is a term used by people who want to justify saying racist sexist things, and think it keeps them from being called out for it. You’re full of crap as usual.

15. says

Frankly, I’m happy to stand by my initial comments that my first impression of young Obama is that he was gay. As I have shared elsewhere, the young Obama looked so gay that my girlfriend at the time, Caroline Boss, whispered to me: “They’re not gay.” Boss ended up being part of the composite character Regina in Obama’s Dreams from My Father.