Romney Campaign Responds to Clinton Speech

RomneyRomney spokesman Ryan Williams issued a response in the early morning hours to Clinton's DNC speech:

“President Clinton drew a stark contrast between himself and President Obama tonight. Bill Clinton worked with Republicans, balanced the budget, and after four years he could say you were better off. Barack Obama hasn’t worked across the aisle – he’s barely worked with other Democrats – and has the worst economic record of any president in modern history. President Clinton’s speech brought the disappointment and failure of President Obama’s time in office clearly into focus.”

Comments

1. paul says

Um he hasnt worked across the aisle ? Why do you suppose that is ? Maybe because everytime he has reached out across the aisle they have tried to bite his hand off !! Are they serious ? They filibustered a record number of times, they stonewalled, the voted against any of their own bills that Obama sponsored and jeopardized the entire economy over the debt ceiling….these people dont realize we watch what they are up to ?

2. David in Houston says

The ONLY agenda the Republicans have had since DAY ONE has been to NOT work with the President on ANY issue, and to get him out of office because he’s black. PERIOD. — These people are lying sacks of garbage.

3. Ryan says

Wow. I don’t quite know what else to say. This goes hand in hand with the lie that Obama is the most liberal president in the history of the world. Someone needs to take Romney’s statement and give him a bulleted list of all the compromises that have been made for the Republicans.

4. J. Leo says

Really? That’s what mittens heard? Guess he didn’t hear the facts and figures. But then they Wouldn’t mean that much to someone who never had to balance a budget.

5. jamal49 says

@RYAN I agree wholeheartedly. Obama is centrist, if he is anything. He is just barely liberal.

Here’s a link (I hope) to a NY Times article from the other day demonstrating not only how far to the right the GOP has lurched but how much to the right the national dialogue has turned.

The last truly liberal president we had is probably (and ironically) Richard Nixon!

6. gregory brown says

That face pic is a good choice–spectral. It makes me think that Tom Cruise would be a good choice to play Willard. Similar facial structures–and that’s aside from the “spiritual realms” similarities.

7. woodroad34 says

Vote Republican, vote fantasy. There’s a Bob Woodward book out on 9/11 that talks about how Obama and John Boehner worked diligently on the budget last year, only to have Boehner pull out at the last minute. Shows the kind of cross-aisle honor the Republicans put into that kind of thing. Unreal Romney– the man who can work fantasy but not reality.

8. secret identity says

L O L. Brilliant! Their response is to say “I’m rubber, you’re glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks on you”…I mean really? That’s going to be their strategy when things get tough? Wow

9. Diogenes Arktos says

@J Leo – I have heard both that MA requires a balanced budget and that Romney left a hefty deficit. Damn those fact checkers!

@Pete N SFO – There’s also the rumor that Obama is the first gay president. This may be what Chuck is referring to.

10. simon says

They must live in an alternative universe. Instead of rebutting point by point what Clinton levelled against them, they just ignored the facts and put out some childish statements.

11. Sam says

@Jamal

Nixon even offered Ted Kennedy a proposal of universal health care but he turned it down (the reason escapes me (atm).

@Diogenes

The MA budget has been a mess ever since the Big Dig which Romney was governor over much of that period.

12. Randy says

Hahaha. The Romney campaign is banking on nobody actually digging into what they say (sadly, this works for Republicans). This isn’t going to work on independents. Clinton made the case for Obama vs Romney very clear.

13. Kevin says

Pres. Clinton knocked it out of the bark. I even thought about voting for Obama for a second. I reminded myself that I’m a libertarian.
    If I were the RNC I would just move on. There is just no way to top that speach even if the facts are B.S..

14. SFRowGuy says

So Romney, when you say ‘Work with Republicans’ what you really mean is ‘Do what the Republicans want otherwise they won’t let anything through congress, unless it only benefits Tea-Parties or the Rich.’? Yeah, that’s what I thought you meant.