News | Rupert Everett

BigGayDeal.com

Rupert Everett: Gay Marriage is 'Beyond Tragic', Having Babies is 'Absolutely Hideous'

Rupert Everett clarifies his recent remarks about gay dads to Decca Aitkenhead at the Guardian:

Everett"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from. For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that's me, just me. I'm not having a go at gay couples who do. I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that's wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn't there a middle way, where you can just say, 'Not for me, but it doesn't matter'? But no, everything's sort of turned into al-Qaida. I'm sure I'm going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre."

Everett adds, on marriage:

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

Comments

1. I think he makes a number of very valid points.

Posted by: SM Kovalinsky | Sep 29, 2012 5:34:45 PM

2. Love it. That's just his opinion. He has every right to it. Besides all he did was answer the interviewer's questions. Yeah, he sounds bitter, but whatever. Good for him. But I love a good wedding!

Posted by: Nelson_in_SJ | Sep 29, 2012 5:36:32 PM

3. He expresses it poorly, but I also agree with much of what he says.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 29, 2012 5:40:13 PM

4. There are thousands (millions?) of straight men and women who would agree 100% with him but the big difference is that they keep their opinions to themselves. By not shutting up, he's trying to use his notoriety to some ends (unknown to thinking people) but it sure isn't helping him or the cause of lesbians and gays who do want to marry and do want to raise children.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Sep 29, 2012 5:40:35 PM

5. Who?

Posted by: reality | Sep 29, 2012 5:40:45 PM

6. haha good for him!!!!

Posted by: miss_h | Sep 29, 2012 5:42:34 PM

7. Once again, he successfully trolls the media into coverage.

Posted by: theo | Sep 29, 2012 5:48:17 PM

8. Everyone, of course, is entitled to their opinions. I and my partner are too old for kids but I think if I were younger I would have liked it. People now have the choice. That's what it's really about. The freedom of choice.

Posted by: Peter | Sep 29, 2012 5:54:03 PM

9. Shut up, you ugly old man, whoever you are (or were)!

Posted by: 20something Gay | Sep 29, 2012 5:55:34 PM

10. Well!

When he puts it that way.

It kinda makes sense.

Posted by: Ricco | Sep 29, 2012 5:56:23 PM

11. The opposite of the straight world? Really? Mary, Mary quite contrary. What a sad reality to feel so disconnected from humanity in general. Living one's life as the opposite of something else sounds like a terrible starting point.

Posted by: MikeSin | Sep 29, 2012 5:58:04 PM

12. I actually agree with him on a number of points, whilst I disagree on a few more. But, mostly, I agree with his assertion that LGBT people like himself who don't "fall in line" with agreeing that marriage and parenthood are wonderful, splendid institutions that should be revered above all else usually get vilified within our community now.

Yes, everyone should have the right to get married or have children, but please don't ask us all to find the idea of marriage or having children is the ultimate life experience.

He was simply stating his opinion and should be allowed that.

Posted by: Eivar | Sep 29, 2012 6:02:33 PM

13. He misses the point. All that is wanted is equality under the law. Churches can still be behind the times and preach their backward message. Granted there are churches that have made headway in this area.

It is very simple. We want the same rights as a heterosexual Atheist couples. Why is that so hard to understand.....

As far gay parents... Well, look into the foster care system and see how many kids need loving stable homes. Where a case worker should have no more than 30 kids ends up having 100's of kids. People are so concerned about kids and yet there they sit in the system without any stability.

The only problem I have witnessed with gay parents is the hate/bigotry/intolerance/ignorance coming from outsiders.

Also, on a side note I feel that when anyone that says kids are better with a mother and father has just completely insulted every parent that is raising their kid(s) as a single parent. Is it better for a wife to stay with the father even though he beats her every night with words or action...

Ok I am done. lol Thank for reading my rant :)

Posted by: justin | Sep 29, 2012 6:02:46 PM

14. 20something gay - The real irony is that you too will be ugly and old and fortunately no one will want your opinion on anything. You won't be 20 something forever (thank God!). Mr.Everett is entitled to his opinion and, obviously, someone has asked him what it is. No one asked for yours. So please engage your 20something brain before proving your ignorance by sitting at a keyboard.

Posted by: dbaudit | Sep 29, 2012 6:07:28 PM

15. His point might be bitter but its definitely better. I find it very amusing for those who posted comments. Very absurd and also benign. Well let me say this, there is absolutely no difference in the discrimination among gays-straights and within the gays just because he seems to look like a weirdo at the end of the corner. Well, arent we all faced with the same trouble as he does when the first time the straights discriminated LGBT !!!

Posted by: Mo | Sep 29, 2012 6:07:39 PM

16. Rupert, if you define yourself as the opposite of heterosexuality, you're still defining yourself using heterosexuality as a measure. And doesn't that contradict whatever bitter, silly-ass point you're trying to make?

Posted by: RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) | Sep 29, 2012 6:07:57 PM

17. It seems to me he's confused "marriage" with "wedding."

Posted by: Steveinde | Sep 29, 2012 6:09:00 PM

18. I was fine with what he said until he dissed wedding dresses and tiaras. What a bastard!

Posted by: belo | Sep 29, 2012 6:14:32 PM

19. Headline to this post is VERY misleading and taken out of context. I agree with most of what he says.

Posted by: ScottNYC | Sep 29, 2012 6:23:17 PM

20. You know what? My partner and I have been together for 22 years and we look forward to eventually being able to legally get married, but neither one of us is religious and want a church wedding. For some people that is very important. We have never wanted kids, but we have friends that went through a lot of trouble to adopt and that was important to them. Rupert has the life he wants, some of us are still working at getting the life we want. I have a straight brother who is fifty now and has never been married and, as far as I know, he has never had a long term serious relationship. He is living the life he wants. Rupert, just because he is gay does not mean he has to be a spokesperson for the us as a whole. In fact it is nice to see someone who is not just falling in line.

Posted by: Patrick and Chuck | Sep 29, 2012 6:23:58 PM

21. He and his brother were shipped off to boarding school as soon s his parents could. He has absolutely no idea what good parents are.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 29, 2012 6:25:31 PM

22. This is just a variation of complaints that DADT repeal is bad because the military is inherently bad. All of this misses the point. Marriage equality and DADT repeal change everyone's legal and societal status, even those who don't want to marry or serve in the military. ENDA (state-level or federal) changes everyone's legal and societal status, even those who don't work or are retired. Anti-bullying measures measures in the public school system change everyone's legal and societal status, even those who are no longer in elementary, middle or high school. All of these societal changes trickle down to everyone's benefit. Make sense?

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderale | Sep 29, 2012 6:36:54 PM

23. If you have to go to the route of Victoria Jackson, it means you are at then end of your rope being a celebrity. Goodbye, Rupert, nice knowing you. Hold your breath because the quick sand is coming for your lungs!!

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Sep 29, 2012 6:39:29 PM

24. Bitter, party of one.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 29, 2012 6:47:33 PM

25. First, what's with the misleading headlines? This and the Paris Hilton one last week are completely misleading. Second, he's entitled to his opinion and I absolutely agree with him about weddings. Why we want to ape that particular backward, expensive, Victorian tradition is beyond me. But so many gays I know have done just that and are broke as Hell right now to prove it. Weddings suck. They are a sick display of one relationship that almost always inevitably falls apart afterwards. I'm all for the rights part, but not the weddings. PROTECT STRAIGHT WEDDINGS with their creepy traditions!! Lets make some of our own that are less boring and creepy and have nothing to do with church.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 29, 2012 6:49:02 PM