Rupert Everett: Gay Marriage is ‘Beyond Tragic’, Having Babies is ‘Absolutely Hideous’

Rupert Everett clarifies his recent remarks about gay dads to Decca Aitkenhead at the Guardian:

Everett"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from. For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that's me, just me. I'm not having a go at gay couples who do. I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that's wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn't there a middle way, where you can just say, 'Not for me, but it doesn't matter'? But no, everything's sort of turned into al-Qaida. I'm sure I'm going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre."

Everett adds, on marriage:

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

Comments

1. Nelson_in_SJ says

Love it. That’s just his opinion. He has every right to it. Besides all he did was answer the interviewer’s questions. Yeah, he sounds bitter, but whatever. Good for him. But I love a good wedding!

2. Hue-Man says

There are thousands (millions?) of straight men and women who would agree 100% with him but the big difference is that they keep their opinions to themselves. By not shutting up, he’s trying to use his notoriety to some ends (unknown to thinking people) but it sure isn’t helping him or the cause of lesbians and gays who do want to marry and do want to raise children.

3. Peter says

Everyone, of course, is entitled to their opinions. I and my partner are too old for kids but I think if I were younger I would have liked it. People now have the choice. That’s what it’s really about. The freedom of choice.

4. MikeSin says

The opposite of the straight world? Really? Mary, Mary quite contrary. What a sad reality to feel so disconnected from humanity in general. Living one’s life as the opposite of something else sounds like a terrible starting point.

5. Eivar says

I actually agree with him on a number of points, whilst I disagree on a few more. But, mostly, I agree with his assertion that LGBT people like himself who don’t “fall in line” with agreeing that marriage and parenthood are wonderful, splendid institutions that should be revered above all else usually get vilified within our community now.

Yes, everyone should have the right to get married or have children, but please don’t ask us all to find the idea of marriage or having children is the ultimate life experience.

He was simply stating his opinion and should be allowed that.

6. justin says

He misses the point. All that is wanted is equality under the law. Churches can still be behind the times and preach their backward message. Granted there are churches that have made headway in this area.

It is very simple. We want the same rights as a heterosexual Atheist couples. Why is that so hard to understand…..

As far gay parents… Well, look into the foster care system and see how many kids need loving stable homes. Where a case worker should have no more than 30 kids ends up having 100’s of kids. People are so concerned about kids and yet there they sit in the system without any stability.

The only problem I have witnessed with gay parents is the hate/bigotry/intolerance/ignorance coming from outsiders.

Also, on a side note I feel that when anyone that says kids are better with a mother and father has just completely insulted every parent that is raising their kid(s) as a single parent. Is it better for a wife to stay with the father even though he beats her every night with words or action…

Ok I am done. lol Thank for reading my rant :)

7. dbaudit says

20something gay – The real irony is that you too will be ugly and old and fortunately no one will want your opinion on anything. You won’t be 20 something forever (thank God!). Mr.Everett is entitled to his opinion and, obviously, someone has asked him what it is. No one asked for yours. So please engage your 20something brain before proving your ignorance by sitting at a keyboard.

8. Mo says

His point might be bitter but its definitely better. I find it very amusing for those who posted comments. Very absurd and also benign. Well let me say this, there is absolutely no difference in the discrimination among gays-straights and within the gays just because he seems to look like a weirdo at the end of the corner. Well, arent we all faced with the same trouble as he does when the first time the straights discriminated LGBT !!!

9. RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) says

Rupert, if you define yourself as the opposite of heterosexuality, you’re still defining yourself using heterosexuality as a measure. And doesn’t that contradict whatever bitter, silly-ass point you’re trying to make?

10. Patrick and Chuck says

You know what? My partner and I have been together for 22 years and we look forward to eventually being able to legally get married, but neither one of us is religious and want a church wedding. For some people that is very important. We have never wanted kids, but we have friends that went through a lot of trouble to adopt and that was important to them. Rupert has the life he wants, some of us are still working at getting the life we want. I have a straight brother who is fifty now and has never been married and, as far as I know, he has never had a long term serious relationship. He is living the life he wants. Rupert, just because he is gay does not mean he has to be a spokesperson for the us as a whole. In fact it is nice to see someone who is not just falling in line.

11. Artie_in_Lauderale says

This is just a variation of complaints that DADT repeal is bad because the military is inherently bad. All of this misses the point. Marriage equality and DADT repeal change everyone’s legal and societal status, even those who don’t want to marry or serve in the military. ENDA (state-level or federal) changes everyone’s legal and societal status, even those who don’t work or are retired. Anti-bullying measures measures in the public school system change everyone’s legal and societal status, even those who are no longer in elementary, middle or high school. All of these societal changes trickle down to everyone’s benefit. Make sense?

12. bambinoitaliano says

If you have to go to the route of Victoria Jackson, it means you are at then end of your rope being a celebrity. Goodbye, Rupert, nice knowing you. Hold your breath because the quick sand is coming for your lungs!!

13. AJ says

First, what’s with the misleading headlines? This and the Paris Hilton one last week are completely misleading. Second, he’s entitled to his opinion and I absolutely agree with him about weddings. Why we want to ape that particular backward, expensive, Victorian tradition is beyond me. But so many gays I know have done just that and are broke as Hell right now to prove it. Weddings suck. They are a sick display of one relationship that almost always inevitably falls apart afterwards. I’m all for the rights part, but not the weddings. PROTECT STRAIGHT WEDDINGS with their creepy traditions!! Lets make some of our own that are less boring and creepy and have nothing to do with church.

14. JCW says

Though at times our Rupert can come across as a rather bitter, self hating queen, in his defense one must always note that he takes great pains to state that what he has to say are his own opinions, and not that of the gay community as a whole.

I’m happy to be legally married. If I were younger I would have liked to have had children… to each their own.

I hope we are entering a stage in our history where individuality can be expressed without it seeming a betrayal of our struggle for equal rights.

15. Tim NC says

Rupert makes two stupid assumptions. 1st that all gays are queens and 2nd that all marriages take place in church. He’s wrong on both counts of course. But, maybe it’s a British thing…..

16. WebHybrid says

Chalk up another one who thinks Everett’s viewpoints are both valid and progressive. I long have held that most ongoing rituals and institutions have already outlived their usefulness. Mankind is supposed to evolve and innovate, not cling to archaic trappings (e.g., weddings, popes) and promises (marriages, vows of celibacy) that no longer work, no longer serve a practical purpose. And how deadening and even enraging to, instead of encourage creativity, suppress it in favor of a demand for conformity – in perpetuity.

17. THE QUEEN says

HE DOES MAKE SOME GAFFES SOME TIMES BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM ABOUT APEING THE STRAIGHTS BIT, MARRIAGE IS CERTAINLY NOT FOR EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE STRAIGHTS WITH THEIR DISMAL FAILURES AT IT, IT ONLY WORKS FOR SOME OF THEM, SO WHY APE THE STRAIGHTS. WE STILL HAVEN’T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT GAY DIVORCES YET, I THINK IT’S TOO SOON BUT TIME WILL TELL. AND MEN BEING WHAT THEY ARE HOW FAITHFUL ARE MEN GOING TO BE IN MARRIAGE ANYWAY. MAKES A GIRL THINK DOESN’T IT? ANYWAY, I ALWAYS LIKED THE DOMESTIC PARTNER ANGLE BIT MUCH BETTER AND PREFER THAT ROUTE MYSELF. BUT IF YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED, THEN GOOD LUCK MY DEARS…. AH RUPERT BABY YOU ARE SO CONTROVERSIAL BABY BUT NOTHING WRONG IN THAT YOU CERTAINLY DON’T RUN WITH THE HERD AND MORE POWER TO YOU.

18. Bob says

FREEDOM IS ABOUT BEING ABLE TO MAKE CHOICES- if we tell him his choices are wrong, we may as well be Romney.
    –I would point out that Rupert, besides the baggage any Gay man his age carries, will never know what his career or life would have been if he were straight
    –I also seem to recall stories of his getting banged a lot in bars in NYC, so perhaps his self esteem is not the greatest

BUT HE WAS RESPONDING TO QUESTIONS, NOT GIVING A SPEECH

19. candideinnc says

He isn’t unreasonable. I do agree with him about the horrors of a church wedding (UGH!) But there are financial and legal needs filled by marriage here and in other countries that require this legislation. You can’t stand on the sidelines as a gay person and say, “Well, I don’t need that right to live my life, so it isn’t important.” He is picking and choosing his support for the civil rights of gay people. That is kind of what gay Rethuglicans do. I am not transgender, but I support their cause. I already have children from a hetero marriage, but I support lesbians and gays who want to marry and adopt. I buy the whole package of civil rights for gays.

20. I wont grow up says

I sort of agree with Rupert (who, by the way is NOT aging well at aall).I have never understood this desire for gay men and women to marry. I’ve been with my partner for 37 years and we don’t need a certificate to validate our “marriage”.
    Other than the tax advantages it MIGHT provide us there is no advantage. Other than the desire to be totally equal with straight people, and who wants to be equal with people who can’t dance and have bad taste.
    I am amazed at the number of our straight friends who’s weddings we have attended who end up separated or divorced a few years later. Why do we want to copy that model.
    My partner and I have completely merged our investments, wills and our mortgage.
    I have nothing against those couples who wish to have a wedding and would never talk against it. But until it is legal its just a commitment ceremony. We are a commited couple, in fact some say we should be commited, but I digress.
    I’m sure my partner (I hate that term but I don’t no any other) and I will not see marriage equality in our lifetimes (we’re what you youngsters call old trolls) but you kids will see it, have patience. Then you can have all the rights of straight couples, including expensive divorce lawyers and alimony.

21. Idiots says

Wow, I’m surprised so many people on here are defending this pig after all the sh1t he said last week. He is a disgrace, yet some of you idiots are agreeing with him. Morons.

22. Francis says

I agree with Rupert to some degree but the reality is he has a VERY hardened, old-school rebellious gay, way of seeing things. So he isn’t at all an ideal person to look to for opinions on social matters.

23. Stefan says

Sorry, but I remember not too long ago (and many older than me do as well) when the gays who wanted to get married were the ones who were vilified for not fulfilling their “pride” credentials. It was a very tough tide to swim against, being accepted neither in the straight world nor in the LGBT community. So please: spare me the request for a pity party for those who fear backlash when being against marriage. As a semi-famous gay man, Rupert has a responsibility. I’m sorry, but he does. And that responsibility is to *at least* make an effort to advance the rights of the community of which you’re publicly a part.

What he should have said is “personally, I plan to never marry and I’m sure many others feel the same way, but it’s still an important issue and a fundamental right.” Rupert will always have the choice to avoid the awfulness of marriage and kids–he has that choice. I don’t have mine in the vast majority of states and nations in this world. When we have the luxury of either not marrying or marrying, then that is the time for sharing opinions with this kind of tone and lack of political awareness. Until then, get on board or shut it.

24. DV says

You’re a bunch of brainwashed a-holes. Rupert is right on the mark.
    Self entitled fags are so today. I agree with him totally. Replicating heteroosexuals is the biggest tragedy to happen to homosexuals in history. And if these comments are any indication, most of you don’t think you’ll ever age. When you do, you will be the most bitter generation. You missed what gay is really about. You’ve morphed into something the devil would welcome with open arms.

25. tim says

I’m in love. The day Marriage (capital M) is legal in Minnesota, I’ll be down on one knee, begging, pleading for my partner of eighteen years to marry me. Rupert can have his opinion, I have my man.

26. Andrew says

It seems that Towleroad with its choice of photo and headline is trying to make Rupert Everett some kind of villan, which he clearly is not.So many people who post on this site try to destroy the honor and reputation of anyone who doesn’t echo the current politically correct opinions. There is almost as little room for diversity and variety of opinions on the left as there is on the right.

27. KC says

Find his comments a bit funny and agree and disagree. Pretty much as I do with most people. While I think marriage rights are important I find that the focus on marriage tends to leave in its wake the need to also bring about change, openness, and awareness of what it is to be gay/lesbian. At times it seems as if once the magic wand of marriage equality has been waved that there’s this belief that prejudice and ignorance will be erased.

28. Tanoka says

A lot of you are completely missing the point here. It’s not about him having a right to have an opinion; of course he’s got that right!
    But by saying what he says, he’s ignoring the whole reason for the fight for marriage equality: Equality under the law. It’s about money, rights, and responsibilities. Not about having a big, fluffy wedding.

And kids are not for him? Well, kids aren’t for me either, but to ridicule people who go to great lengths to have a kid, something they’ve longed for (when does anyone ridicule hetero couples for wanting kids?), is just a$$hole behaviour.

He sees the world changing; the gay community isn’t that different from the rest of the world anymore, and just like the homophobes he’s trying to push you back in the closet.

Remember that when he says “Oh, it’s just my opinion, it’s just how I feel”, the comment that started this was something a la “The worst thing that could ever happen to a kid would be to have two gay dads”.

And some of you are saying “he’s got a point”.

29. Prof Sancho Panza says

The whole interview on the Guardian website is worth reading. Some of Everett’s opinions aren’t popular, but he’s far from stupid and his first memoir was one of the more thoughtful, insightful celebrity autobiographies I’ve read. I’m hoping the new one is as good. He’s also a good actor, and I bet he and Freddie Fox are quite the stage couple as Wilde and Bosie in Judas Kiss.

And I don’t believe he has any obligation to censor his opinions, as long as he makes clear (which he does) that he’s not speaking for anyone but himself. Loyalty and community should never require lying.

30. Kevin says

I have a friend from grade school who made it very clear that she didn’t want kids. She found a man that felt the same way, having already had some in a previous marriage.

I’ve had two partners, and have called both my “husband” despite not being legally married. And I would have liked to have been married legally, but again, don’t want kids.

Not everyone is cut out to be parents. Heck, some folks that ARE parents aren’t cut out to be parents. It’s OK for Rupert to express his opinion, and it shouldn’t be viewed as hurting our cause. Our true cause isn’t to get married or to have kids – it’s to be FREE to do those things if we choose to.

31. trecer says

I think there’s a huge part of the gay population that resonates with what Everett is saying. We’ve been sort of taken over by the Let’s Get Married crowd, but when I look around me at my gay friends, only a minority of them are fit for marriage or want marriage–much less kids–for themselves. Sure, if you want to get married and have kids, that’s fine, and I’ll vote for the politicians and propositions that make that possible. But what I’m sick of is having this normatizing value imposed on me as the Maximum Symbol of what it means to be gay. I’m sorry, but marriage bores me and I’m not willing to be defined by my position inside it or outside it. When it comes to fighting for something, I’d rather devote my energy to gay healthcare and long-term-care issues, since these actually have meaning in my life. And I’d rather encourage my fellow gays and lesbians to be creative and brave than to put their energies into finding the illusory security of a dysfunctional social institution.

32. Rovex says

He still misses the point, its about choice. I agree that the normal straight church wedding is a horrible thing, clearly driven by the woman at the expense of the man. However gay people should be allowed to get married and do it differently if they so choose, do it better. We want the legality of it, not the stupid dress, cake and party after.

His problem is that not every gay man identifies with his use of ‘queen’, especially the ‘bitter old’ variety.

33. Robert K. says

I’m in favor of “live and let live.” If a gay or straight couple want to get married, in a church or elsewhere, or if they want to not get married and enjoy domestic partner rights, or if they want to have children or not, I say let everybody decide for themselves.

Personally I think that marriage is an archaic and unrealistic institution, but if anyone on here wants to get married to their partner, I will say “Congratulations!” and buy you a gift (which will depend on me winning the lottery first).

34. radical53 says

I totally agree with him.

This is NOT what STONEWALL was about.

Gay rights today is about getting the full rights and conditions of a heterosexual lifestyle. Wrong in every way.

We fought so hard for the right to be gay, not straight.

The gay community, world wide reeks of it’s own Homophobia. That you need to justify yourself to mainstream society.

You all have lost your integrity, self-respect, pride etc in who you are. You will do anything to appease mainstream society. Even it means selling yourselves out to them.

If in the future, there is great increase in gay related suicides. you have nobody to blame, except yourselves. As gay men will be suffering with a an identity crisis, not knowing whether they are allowed to be gay or straight.

This is the future of all of us gay men, and it is a tragedy. You will find that you have legitimised the past when gay men were forced to live in sham marriages and forced to have kids they did not want to have.

But then again, if society can find a way for gay men to get married and live a normal life, it will find away. especially now, as you have decided that is what you want. Shame on you all.

35. Tanoka says

Seriously, RADICAL53? Shame on you all?

Shame on you for fighting for what you want, or shame on you for wanting what radical53 doesn’t want?

Is it so proposterous to want both the right to marry AND the right to different? Can one not be married, yet different from mainstream society?

Why not fight for both? Why not fight for your brothers’ and sisters’ right to CHOOSE?

36. Steerpike says

What’s missing from all this Everett coverage is his TONE, which is endlessly mocking, ironic and fascinating. He’s a proper gay icon, like Crisp or Langston Hughes: a larger than life figure, a great failure in many ways and entirely entitled to have his own opinion about weddings (YES, they are disgusting: they are a disgusting waste of money and usually tasteless: a massive industry of pure kitsch). White roses: disgusting. Three-tier cakes: disgusting. Veils and silk dresses: disgusting. Rows of fancy little gold chairs: disgusting. A whole load of idiots in ill-fitting, off-the-rail morning dress getting plastered on a temporary dance-floor in some pink marquee or hotel function room: beyond disgusting. I agree. the legal thing I am for. We should STAY OUT of the industry and all that ‘special day’ garbage: it’s grotesque and it’s a con.

37. Steerpike says

Plus he is also FUNNY nearly all the time. A and funny is a precious thing in this pathetic world of po-faced, pre-written vows.

Go watch Louis CK. That is what raising a child is like. Agonizing, enriching, impossible and hilarious. There’s a straight guy with a head on his shoulders and a big heart.

We gays cannot lose our sense of humor or our ability to value those who don’t completely agree with us: I didn’t sign any manifesto and I sure as hell never got an agenda. I did not think that I was going to grow up gay to end up agreeing with some idiot homosexual who says that they ‘value their Christian faith’ at some PTA in condemning Rupert Everett for being too louche and Byronic. I grew up gay so that I could BE Rupert Everett.

38. Sarcastic Medved says

I have to say that I agree with Rupert Everett on a number of his points.
    We are gay, GAY! that means, no kids, nada, zippo.
    I don’t feel any burning desire to have kids, never have never will.
    As for marriage, pffftt.

39. noteasilyoffended says

All the articles I have read lately about this guy make him sound like the saddest and most bitter man -gay or straight. His opinions are as valid as anyone else’s. They just sound so self-loathing.

40. joe says

Had he expressed his opinion simply, that would have been fine, but to denigrate the decisions other people make about having a marriage and having children indicates that he is either a publicity whore or a jerk.

41. Lee says

He may have meant to just state his opinion, but when you say “Having two gay dads is the worst thing in the world”, you definately didn’t word your opinion very wisely.

And if he really thinks that the issue of gay marrige is about getting married in a church… well then he’s just really clueless.

I wonder if it is hard to go through life being this bitter…

42. PJW says

So, he doesn’t want to have a surrogate mom bear his child. What about adoption? As to marriage, don’t want a church wedding–don’t have one. And I agree with the comment that the headline is very misleading.

43. Michaelandfred says

My husband and I of 26 years looked at bitter jaded lonely gay men like Rupert and then made sure we were 100% the opposite. He is of course entitled to his opinion, although many seem confused and twisted to conform to his particular views and not reality. There is a huge difference between a marriage and a wedding, and since same sex weddings IN churches in England are not allowed I’m not sure which ones he thinks people have been having. Or even here in the states.

In the end Rupert seems to be the perfect representation of the 70’s gay man who crashed out of the closet but never managed to be glad he’s gay. I’ve not wanted to be anything else. There I think is his problem. It’s not the institution, or the having babies, but seeing others thrive and be happy where he cannot. Maybe I’m wrong, but that article doesn’t say happy life to me. It says angry and bitter.

44. Wilberforce1 says

Again, actors are the dumbest people around besides models. But this queen is so stupid he’s embarassing. He can’t let others make simple choices about how to live without trashing them. He’s pathetic.

45. says

guys, take a deep breath and crack open your textbooks, Psychology 101: it’s called “I Don’t Want What I Haven’t Got”

its cousin is “I Don’t Want What I Know I’ll Never Get”

thus, his comments make perfect sense. thus, give him an eye-roll and move along.

46. AngelaChanning says

Well, after reading all of this, I would hate to have Rupert accompany me to Gay Days at Disneyworld. I think he would ruin the Enchanted Tiki Birds attraction, among others. :-)

47. says

hey, radical53, if you’re such a powerful strong and empowered force of a Gay Man let’s see ya put a face and name to your comments.

ten bucks says you don’t have the balls. Stonewall my ass. Stonewall wasn’t about cowards with no testicles anonymously griping about others, you plebe.

*elegant curtsy*

48. says

This is the telling remark “Why do queens want to go and get married in churches?”

He continues, like many of the opponents of gay marriage, to believe its an issue about “church” and “religious practice” and NOT about the basic HUMAN RIGHTS imparted by the act of “marriage.”

So sad that he’s blind to the situation outside of how it applies to him.

49. GB says

20 hours ago · Like · 6

50. Nat says

“You all want us to conform and live a lifestyle that we don’t want to live or be part of.”

You can live whatever lifestyle you want, provided it doesn’t affect me whatsoever.

But I’m not interested in validating some pre-HIV, 1970s conception of homosexuality as the one true faith, which is what so many here seemed to have signed up for.

If people want to define their lives through being childless and alone, that’s fine. I don’t care. But stop saying that those of us who want a family should turn in our gay cards.

51. says

his comments, and the comments of others here are sort of puzzling to me.

personally, i stopped caring about how others see me and about living up to someone else’s chosen “standards” when i Came Out.

it’s one of those things that happens when you form a solid and secure sense of self – you stop pretending that the choices of others have anything to do with how you live your life, or how much you enjoy it.

i’m stunned other adults on here aren’t capable of the same thing.

52. Nat says

Also, as a broader comment to those who agree with his comments: stop whining.

No one is legally forcing you to have a child, to get married, or even to be monogamous. Those all remain choices for you as an individual to make.

But as of 2012, there are laws in place across the world that prevent gays from having children and getting married. There are laws that effectively preclude gay relationships by criminalizing homosexuality.

And as someone who wants to a) get married; b) have children; c) will likely continue to live in a country where social acceptance for those things is minimal at best, I really don’t have much sympathy for someone who thinks my desires are illegitimate but that their desires represent authentic homosexuality.

53. Nat says

Further followup:

You Everett apologists remind me of the first-wave feminists who didn’t want to obtain the right to vote because they wanted to preserve their protected, domestic sphere, or the black activists who became more obsessed with maintaining community solidarity through ghettoization than actually advancing civil rights.

If you don’t want to do a particular thing, or advance to a particular point, that’s fine. Stop thinking everyone else shares the same mindset.

54. says

in related news, all of you who complain about gay couples in openly-sexual relationships need to get over it, too.

it’s not the fault of a gay couple that understands each other and their sex-drives that you can’t get laid or find anyone who wants to date you.

they’re not the reason you’re single. you’re the reason you’re single. know that. 😉

55. says

He could have just said, I’m too pathetic to go my own way without tooting my horn about it.

Everyone should have the right to do as they wish. It’s pretty simple. People who go broke spending on their wedding are lemmings, regardless of their respective sexes. My husband and I had a very nice wedding (in beautiful Vancouver, BC) that we defined and paid for.

56. Rob says

I like some of the points he makes. Lately, gays and lesbians have become so obsessed with this “marriage and kids” thing. I could care less about either. I’d rather fight for ENDA, cuz everyone needs a job. But marriage and kids? Don’t really need that! Half the charm of being gay is not feeling like you have to have those.

57. Mitchell says

As one of the few men that made it through the 70’s and 80’s. I never dreamed we would all be able to marry and even though I have a partner of 17 years we don’t want to be married either. I agree with Rupert. We were all about pushing boundaries sexually and even at 54, marriage seems way too heterosexual for me. Monogamy is not something we want to conform to even if we think it works for others. We didn’t want children either. Love them but doesn’t fit our lifestyle.

That all said; I wouldn’t deny a frog and a chicken, or two frogs and a chicken to get married if they wanted to. Freedom means we all get to make our own choices. That I’m all for.

58. IO says

Why do so many people think queens represent all gay people. Queens are a very small minority of the gay population and we are embarassed to have them associated with us. There are also millions of gay people out there who are women and they get ignored completely when gay rights are discussed.

59. "The Gay" says

Andrew : Because that’s what this is all about. Look at what Rupert is saying, the foundation of his criticisms :

“For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that’s where my problems in this particular area come from.”

Which has got to be the stupidest ideal, the most inane and nonsensical foundation to construct an identity upon, ever.

That isn’t “gay”, it’s just a personality disorder based on unrecognized infantile reaction to personal hurt, blamed on an entire group of people defined by their sexuality.

He IS almost exactly what we criticize our enemies for being. Except they aren’t hurt, they’re just afraid.

This pathetic 70’s caricature was never real for most of us, and it’s no surprise that it has taken a long time to die it’s grotesque and hideous death. But it must and it shall.

Good riddance, my beautiful disaster !

60. radioredrafts says

I am just so tired of hearing celebrities say “Oh, my foot doesn’t belong there, here’s what I REALLY meant to say”, and then just as often as not inserting the other foot.

61. Chadwick says

Andrew- Rupert Everett called himself and by extension all gay men “queens” IN THE ARTICLE WE ARE DISCUSSING.

If you have a problem with gay men being referred to as “queens” in this context, take it up with him.

62. Jerry6 says

I have no idea who he is, or thinks he is, but the photo attached to the story appears to be of a very ugly person with whom I would never be attracted to under any circumstances.