Mitt Romney | News | Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan Doesn't Have the Time to Explain How Romney Will Pay for His Tax Plan: VIDEO

Taxes_ryan

Pressed on how mathematically the Romney-Ryan tax plan would lower taxpayer bills by 20 percent without costing anything, Paul Ryan tells FOX News Sunday's Chris Wallace: “I don’t have the ... It would take me too long to go through all of the math."

Writes NY Mag:

Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are understandably reluctant to explain the specifics their tax plan, because then they'd have to admit that it is mathematically impossible for them to institute their proposed cuts for the rich without raising the middle-class's tax burden.

Adds DailyKos:

Ryan is straight-up using his reputation as the Republican party's big budget wonk to get out of giving direct answers to any actual budget wonking questions. Because from his point of view, "I don't want to get too wonky" or "I don't have the time" are more palatable answers than "if I gave you details you'd see that I've been lying."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. this made my head explode (which maybe is a good thing - who knows). lower the tax rate by 20% and close unspecified loopholes and it is revenue neutral? is this an example of "new math"?

Posted by: gary | Sep 30, 2012 8:08:35 PM

2. Typical rent boy response. Pfffft.... you just keep blowing your sugar daddy Ryan.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Sep 30, 2012 8:09:27 PM

3. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

Posted by: will b | Sep 30, 2012 8:15:58 PM

4. SHELL GAME
    n.
    1. A game, usually involving gambling, in which a person hides a small object underneath one of three nutshells, thimbles, or cups, then shuffles them about on a flat surface while spectators try to guess the final location of the object. Also called thimblerig.
    2. A fraud or deception perpetrated by shifting conspicuous things to hide something else.
    -- American Heritage Dictionary

Posted by: robert | Sep 30, 2012 8:22:11 PM

5. Paul you don't need to explain ALL the math to us, but how about you give just ONE example of a loophole you would close and how much that would save.

We're waiting....

Posted by: e.c. | Sep 30, 2012 8:22:58 PM

6. Their campaign is kind of sad.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 30, 2012 8:43:50 PM

7. It would take a while to explain? Go ahead, you've got five weeks.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Sep 30, 2012 8:52:43 PM

8. This from a guy who "forgot" $60,000 in income and had to submit an amended tax return, conveniently on the day Money Boo Boo released his 2011 taxes so that no one would talk about it. Some money genius the GOP has there.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Sep 30, 2012 8:56:43 PM

9. They won't even explain their generalities. Are they making rates 20% smaller or are they reducing rates by 20%? For instance, I pay 20%. If they make my rate 20% smaller, that makes my new rate 16%; if they reduce rates by 20%, then I pay 0%. If, like most middle class Americans, I only pay about 12%, then a 20% reduction in rate would only be a net change of 2.4%.

Also, I fail to see how something "revenue neutral" gives people MORE money. If it's revenue neutral, then won't people just be keeping the same amount of money? I have no idea how you can campaign on something that essentially promises to change nobody's life and only serves to make your accountant's job easier.

Can anyone explain this to me, because I really don't understand and I really want to.

Posted by: Joel | Sep 30, 2012 9:01:43 PM

10. Wow, all those Gay Republicans silent on this one? Hmmm...
    Here's the translation: You people are too stupid to understand how my gutting popular social programs and giving that money to the rich benefits you.
    Not a good look, Ryan. Not a good look.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 30, 2012 9:17:28 PM

11. As those wise old people of the AARP said, ahem:
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 30, 2012 9:18:31 PM

12. "It's arithmetic."- Bill Clinton

Posted by: Josh | Sep 30, 2012 9:18:41 PM

13. "Times R tuff, so the gullible public should trust my Eddy Munster hair and my pretty lips and sparkly eyes. Ignore the Koch brothers hands up my ass everyone, that is a feature, not a liability."

Posted by: bkmn | Sep 30, 2012 9:27:51 PM

14. Is it bad that this poor man reminds me of one of those monkeys that sits on a street vendor's shoulder and winds up a music box?

Posted by: Will | Sep 30, 2012 10:12:57 PM

15. The scary thing to me is that a Republican party so out of touch with what the majority of Americans want is so close to the democrats in the polls.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 30, 2012 10:22:32 PM

16. "you people" don't need to know what we have planned for you.

Posted by: alguien | Sep 30, 2012 10:38:03 PM

17. It's okay. I don't have the time to vote for them anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Posted by: Keppler | Sep 30, 2012 11:28:34 PM

18. Paul Ryan has the mark of The Beast.

A Souless evil puppet.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Oct 1, 2012 12:07:43 AM

19. Paul Ryan has the mark of The Beast.

A Souless evil puppet.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Oct 1, 2012 12:07:45 AM

20. Paul Ryan has the mark of The Beast.

A Souless evil puppet.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Oct 1, 2012 12:07:46 AM

21. Paul Ryan has the mark of The Beast.

A Souless evil puppet.

Posted by: Mike in nyc | Oct 1, 2012 12:07:47 AM

22. The Republicans have had a plan to destroy social security by running up huge federal deficits for a long time. Part of that plan is to cut taxes because that reduces government revenue and is always popular.

As to cutting costs or eliminating loopholes which are both unpopular they have no serious intentions. When the deficit becomes un-fundable they will have accomplished their real goal.

Bush/Cheney carried out a major step in that direction and Romney/Ryan will complete the task if they are elected.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Oct 1, 2012 12:14:34 AM

23. And this shameful toad has the temerity to ask the American people to vote him Vice President.

He is an offensive little reptile......(hmmm, is a toad a reptile ?)

Anyhow I say he is a member of Opus Dei and they are allowed to lie.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 1, 2012 2:33:36 AM

24. What an extraordinary charlatan. They say he's a "really smart, nice guy." I think he's not all that adept at speaking and has a somewhat deliberate delivery I find annoying and haughty.

Posted by: Rob Zeleniak | Oct 1, 2012 5:03:06 AM

25. Of course he won't explain! That would confuse their voter base and chase away the independents. Numbers and logic that don't add up isn't a good platform to run on. Fear, bigotry, and God seems to be working for them, though.

I am so looking forward to the debates!

Posted by: Tanoka | Oct 1, 2012 5:15:33 AM