Andrew Tobias | Barack Obama | Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay DNC Treasurer Andrew Tobias Talks About Money and LGBT Equality at DNC Convention: VIDEO

Tobias

Andrew Tobias, DNC Treasurer, spoke about money and LGBT equality in a speech earlier today to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte.

Said Tobias, in part:

First: Money. The Democratic Party is the party of Social Security, federally insured bank accounts, the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, workers' rights, the minimum wage, Pell grants—and so much more that's helped lift the American middle class.

The economy does significantly better under Democrats and so do investors. The stock market is up 58 percent since Barack Obama took office. And listen to this: If you had started in 1925 with $10,000 and invested it in the market only in the 44 years that Republicans held the White House, it would have grown—not counting dividends—to less than $30,000. But to more than $300,000 in the 44 years Democrats held the White House!

I favor the party that invests in the future and boosts the middle class and those aspiring to join it. I favor the party under whose leadership $10,000 grows to $300,000 instead of $30,000.

Second: Equality. The Democratic Party under the leadership of Barack Obama has dramatically improved the lives of millions of lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual Americans and at no cost to anyone else.

In college, I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked other guys. Later I found there was someone else like me, our 26-year-old resident tutor. He and I never talked about it at the time. No one talked about being gay back then. People killed themselves over being gay. Tragically, some kids still do. But, the progress we have made. Eight weeks ago, I attended that young tutor's wedding! To a guy! He and I never talked about it at the time. Love that had been unspeakable 46 years ago was celebrated by hundreds of people—straight and gay, surfers and senators.

In a way, it was a wedding that married my two topics—money and equality—because that young tutor had grown up to become the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, Barney Frank.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Andy is one of my heroes. I'm happy to know him, to count him as friend. He's terrific in every way.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 4, 2012 10:22:30 PM

2. That story at the end was so sweet.

Posted by: Robert | Sep 4, 2012 10:39:00 PM

3. Really it appreciated your words to me about financial matter & I want to know more & more about all these things.

Posted by: Secured Business Credit Cards | Sep 4, 2012 10:55:07 PM

4. don't miss his "best little boy in the world" under the nom de plume john reid - the first gay-affirming book i read, which frankly changed my life

Posted by: t | Sep 5, 2012 12:00:13 AM

5. This is why Obama is going to lose the election: he's talking about things that are on a low priority list for millions of Americans who are out of work.

As for equality, well and good. But where's the proof? Clinton signed DOMA into law, Obama failed to rescind it - in fact, his Justice Department defended it in court...get the picture? Stop looking at the Democrats through rose-colored glasses.

Posted by: jason | Sep 5, 2012 12:28:39 AM

6. TBLBITW is one of the first books I read when I was trying to cope with being gay back in the mid-70s. It made a huge difference in my life. After I learned that "John Reid" was Andrew Tobias, I foolishly decided to send him an email--just to say thanks. He replied! He was warm and gracious, and I was hugely impressed that he would take the time. I think the world of this man, and it makes me very happy to see him in such a prominent role in the DNC and at the Democratic Convention.

Posted by: MajorTom | Sep 5, 2012 2:20:33 AM

7. Jason your hatred for gay people shines through in every posting you make. In fact, hatred--just hatred--shines through in every posting you make. As to Obama "talking about things that are on a low priority list for millions of Americans who are out of work," the guy speaking wasn't Obama. I guess you also missed how much the president has tried to do to turn around unemployment with no help--with absolute resistance--from the republicans. It's so sad to see the kind of stewed, hate-filled garbage that comes from you day after day. One other thing: do you think the Mitt has better plans for the unemployed? How about Boehner? Or McConnell?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 5, 2012 1:10:06 PM

8. One other thing Jason: I'll bet everybody you know hates to see you coming and looks for the nearest exit.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Sep 5, 2012 1:14:07 PM