Zac Efron Says ‘There’s No Doubt’ He’ll Play a Gay Character

2_efron
(image from a recent ad campaign for John John denim)

Zac Efron gives an interview to The Advocate in which he talks about his gay following and the roles he'll play in the future:

I’d never take a role just for the sake of playing gay, but I’m always looking for a role that’s challenging, different, and entails some risk, so there’s no doubt in my mind that one of those characters will be gay at some point in the future. It’s always interesting to delve into unexplored territory, and that would be a new avenue for me. I definitely wouldn’t be afraid.

Efron also talks about the Details interview for which he received much praise from our readers when he said, “Honestly, if the worst he can say about me is that I'm gay, then I think I'll be fine. I can handle it.”

Added Efron in reflection: "I don’t like to live in fear about things like rumors and backlash to begin with — that’s the way I was raised — but I just can’t see what’s so wrong about being gay."

Comments

1. gregory brown says

AND he’s ready to “delve into unexplored territory”. He’s certainly matured nicely in so many ways from HSM. I wonder if he can-or wants to–follow a path like Joe Gordon-Levitt’s, taking on quirky, risky and sometimes unsuccessful roles but steaming on ahead into my/our esteem. That would be fine.

2. jamal49 says

Good for you, Mr. Efron, and I agree with Gregory Brown here that you might try the occasional off-beat role.

The blockbuster mentality that seems to pollute film making these days nearly destroyed Shia LaBeouf’s career and he’ll admit it.

Anyway, I wish you a long, successful career, Mr. Efron. So far, as a fan, I’ve had nothing to complain about.

3. Gregoire says

He’s actually turning out to be one of these teen idols with a little substance behind him. He’s given quite good performances in his last two films, even though the movies themselves were mediocre.

4. G.I. Joe says

I like him. I think he’s a good actor, a good singer and he’s handsome.

BUT I’m also 99% sure that he’s gay, and I’d hate for him to end up like that wretched John Travolta. Please Zac, come out.

5. says

He seems awfully young to have thought up those mature and sophisticated views. Either he has a very good publicist or he’s a genuine member of the new generation everybody’s counting on to scratch their heads in the future about the big freaking war of attrition the world had to engage in on being gay.

6. says

@Tomtallis,

While I’d have my doubts that he’ll ever win an Academy Award, he’s not a terrible actor. He was very good in Hairspray, perfect for the part, while he held his own in movies like Me and Orson Welles.

The Paperboy will be a great test; if he can keep up with Nicole Kidman, John Cusack and Matthew McConaughey, it’s safe to say he’s not succeeding on looks or past fame alone.