David Blankenhorn | Gay Marriage | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News

BigGayDeal.com

Star Witness for Prop 8 Proponents David Blankenhorn Tells Minnesotans to Oppose Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment: VIDEO

Blankenhorn

David Blankenhorn, the key trial witness for proponents of Proposition 8 and director of the Institute for American Values, speaks out against Minnesota's anti-gay marriage amendment in a new video. You may recall that Blankenhorn has had a change of heart since testifying in the Prop 8 trial and has been working to make amends for several months now.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. And he probably still thinks that if he could just find a way to force fathers to stay with their children society would be saved

Posted by: Steve | Oct 19, 2012 3:11:55 PM

2. Is everyone else as tired as I am of these "Ken Melman" death bed conversions ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 19, 2012 3:33:04 PM

3. No, I'm not tired of conversions. The only way you get from minority support to majority support is by people changing their minds. (Well, we could just wait for our opponents to die off, but I'm as old as many of them are, so I don't have that much time.)

"Wisdom too often never comes, and so one ought not to reject it merely because it comes late." - Felix Frankfurter

Posted by: Jeff R | Oct 19, 2012 3:47:48 PM

4. Bad link on "Watch, AFTER THE JUMP... "

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Oct 19, 2012 3:49:16 PM

5. As long as it is with honest intent, it is much better than nothing at all.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | Oct 19, 2012 3:59:14 PM

6. It was the withering cross-ex he went through that really scorched the prop-8 crowd. Unless the Supreme Court rules that only Congress can define which minorities deserve protection under the 14th amendment then they had no case.

Posted by: anon | Oct 19, 2012 4:22:32 PM

7. My FB post from today:

In 2005 one of my students, who was in ROTC, invited a Marine recruiter to campus to defend the military's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy, which allowed gay men and lesbians to serve as long as they lied about who they were. The visit sparked controversy, protests, and a forum at which my student also defended the policy. Today, 7 years later, he has served 8 months in Iraq, left the military and works on Wall Street. He stopped by my office today and said, "You know, you were right about DADT. When I served in Iraq I realized that none of the people on the ground gives a sh*t, and a good half of the women in the service are lesbians. I was wrong." Always nice to know that people learn and change, and I'll keep this in mind next time I have a political disagreement with a student.

People DO evolve.

Posted by: KevinVT | Oct 19, 2012 4:46:44 PM

8. I take heart from this that people can and do change. It's a sad day when we have become so bitter that we can no longer see the actual change that we are fighting for and Mr. Blakenthorn represents that change.

Posted by: Opinionated | Oct 19, 2012 6:49:38 PM

9. It would have avoided a lot of bigoted inspired rhetoric if they all had exercised a little judgment, intelligence, rationality and common decency before they ever took up their hatred of their fellow men in the first place.

But thank you all for your turning the other cheek; I am not of your forgiving nature.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 19, 2012 8:28:15 PM

10. Well said, Jeff R!

Posted by: Matt | Oct 19, 2012 8:42:30 PM

11. I think it is always a good thing when bigots realize the error of their ways. I am happy to forgive Blankenhorn, especially now that he admits he was wrong, which is never an easy thing to do.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 20, 2012 1:01:32 AM

12. We're asking them to change their minds.

They don't owe it to us; they don't owe us anything.

You think you can force enlightenment at gunpoint or with threats ?

It's never worked like that.

If we make space in our own minds for them to change their minds, even if they don't seem to be capable of changing their minds, we create the possibility.

Hanging on to anger and resentment is a great way to make yourself sick, and make it harder to convince people that they're mistaken.

People DO change. Some people don't.

Really, the only difference is believing it's possible.

In other words, our belief that something is impossible can be the only thing that keeps it from happening.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Oct 20, 2012 6:44:09 AM

13. While Blankenhorn's "conversion" leaves much to be desired (read it yourself), the fact that he's actually done an ad for us is something.

Now AFER attorneys can tell the US Supreme Court that not only did the anti-marriage side only produce two witnesses, their main witness is now willingly appearing in a video ad against a constitutional ban on marriage.

I won't be thanking the guy though, until he recognizes that our marriages are simply as good and valid as opposite-sex marriages, and he speaks out affirmatively FOR marriage equality.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 20, 2012 10:58:06 PM