Chick-fil-A | News

Chick-fil-A Selling Party Trays 'Only a Fruitcake Wouldn't Love'

Chickfila

Sent in by one of our Twitter followers.

PS - You can follow us and make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following
@TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. This is one fruitcake who doesn't love Chick-fil-A.

Posted by: starshipcaptain | Oct 12, 2012 6:36:07 PM

2. I don't want to sound like I'm defending Chick-fil-A, but the individual franchises handle their own advertising, from concept to paying for it. This is probably the work of the Chamblee Plaza Chick-fil-A alone.

Posted by: Sully | Oct 12, 2012 6:36:24 PM

3. You're absolutely right, Sully, but that doesn't mean the corporation itself doesn't get involved.

It's like the Wendy's franchises in NC that put they were sticking by Chick-fil-A in their marquees, which was soon followed by a Wendy's corporate announcement clearing the air where they stood on the issue.

Wonder how Chick-fil-A corporate will react to the rogue store and obvious anti-gay dig.

Posted by: kp05 | Oct 12, 2012 6:44:05 PM

4. They're becoming like the Republicans with their double-meaning nods and winks to racists such as food stamps, lazy, basketball, letting people off work requirements for welfare, etc. Only now, they are giving the winks to unrepentant homophobes. It's disgusting.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 12, 2012 6:51:55 PM

5. Not to defend bigots but that seems like a phenomenally easy photoshop to make. Do we have any other confirmation of this?

Posted by: Drexofnola | Oct 12, 2012 6:54:39 PM

6. Not to defend bigots but that seems like a phenomenally easy photoshop to make. Do we have any other confirmation of this?

Posted by: Drexofnola | Oct 12, 2012 6:54:40 PM

7. It's real: my friend sent me a couple of pictures of it. The coupons were blurred to mitigate trolls commenting on the deals.

Posted by: Phillip | Oct 12, 2012 6:57:21 PM

8. Well I'm sure Republicans and evangelicals won't like the party tray because they tend to be nuttier than a fruitcake in most regards.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 12, 2012 7:02:28 PM

9. Doesn't 'fruitcake' mean crazy? That's what I've always known it to mean. If they mean 'gay' then we should start burning their restaurants down. I'm serious.

Posted by: danswon | Oct 12, 2012 7:03:29 PM

10. Yeah, if it had said "fruit" instead of "fruitcake," I'd be more upset. "Nutty as a fruitcake" and such. Plus the holidays are coming up, so "fruitcake" could have a double meaning.

Chick-Fil-A is run by bigots, but I'm not sold on this flyer being homophobic without more information.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Oct 12, 2012 7:06:51 PM

11. "Fruitcake" was always derogatory for gay in my household.

Just like fag is short for faggot, fruit was short for fruitcake.

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 12, 2012 7:27:18 PM

12. Yay! Invite all your bigot friends over for a big ol' tray full of fat, grease, cholesterol and salt! Nothing says "I love my friends" more than a party tray full of heart attack material and hatred!

Posted by: kit | Oct 12, 2012 7:35:37 PM

13. Friends, I don't think we need a thesis on what these comments mean.

What we need is an organised campaign, including boycott, of these institutional bigots.
    Remember two weeks ago they were supposed to be mending their ways...and some posters on here actually believed these scumbags.

Let's publicise out contempt for these people, not agonise how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 12, 2012 7:37:18 PM

14. I heard the "local franchisee" arguement the first time it became public that Chik-Fil-A was supporting anti-gay initiatives. That time it happened to be the franchise nearest my home. Dan Cathy has made his position known with his wallet. I can do that and drive on.

Posted by: Deke | Oct 12, 2012 7:54:06 PM

15. Please bigots, eat more party trays! Don't stop!!! Eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You'll drop off the face of this planet quicker.

Posted by: Damien | Oct 12, 2012 7:57:49 PM

16. Or.. you know... someone who cares about their arteries or has class.

Posted by: umm | Oct 12, 2012 8:25:17 PM

17. Kinda grasping for straws at outrage. Fruitcake can mean a lot of different things.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 12, 2012 8:29:23 PM

18. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT this is not an accident, but was a "joke" by someone at the advertising agency

THANKS FOR INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER -- the lady manager (I would say she is from China) said she was not aware that "fruitcake" was a term for Gay man. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT this is not an accident, but was a "joke" by someone at the advertising agency
    One does not hear it so often as when I was younger.
    I told her to tell the owner to think about the Gay teens who have killed themselves

Posted by: Bob | Oct 12, 2012 8:32:18 PM

19. Thank you for the info, Bob.

I've heard A LOT of horror stories regarding CFA and the type of people that tend to seek/get work at this establishment. The big wigs of CFA can most certainly get involved but they wont. We're talking about a restaurant chain of all places going out of it's way to send messages of homophobia.

The war against this company is still on, boys and girls. It was never off. Their brand numbers are still low and we cannot get complacent now.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 12, 2012 8:52:48 PM

20. @Francis --as I wrote, I think that some wag at the ad agency took advantage of the Holiday ad -- that is apparently actual fruitcake at the rear of the photo.
    Call the number if you like, and help educate the store owner

Posted by: Bob | Oct 12, 2012 9:15:23 PM

21. You may not be aware but this is pride weekend in Atlanta. Chamblee is a suburb of the city. Chic-fil-a is well aware of this. Seems the bigots wether it's the corp office here or individual outlets are simply trying to use that for their own good.

Posted by: David | Oct 12, 2012 9:20:39 PM

22. Why not just print : Blacks like our party trays with a side of watermelon.

Posted by: ty | Oct 12, 2012 10:16:51 PM

23. godfather's pizza pulled a stunt like this on a national scale -- the joke was on the word 'pansy'

Posted by: khan | Oct 12, 2012 10:40:01 PM

24. Whom would Jesus call a fruitcake?

Posted by: Clementine | Oct 12, 2012 11:52:48 PM

25. This is the owner of the store. Her name is Theresa Wilson.

Posted by: Tony | Oct 13, 2012 12:26:23 AM