How To | News | TED Talks

How 'Power Posing' Can Enhance Your Chances of Success: VIDEO

Cuddy

In a recently-posted TED Talk, social psychologist Amy Cuddy talks about how practicing 'power poses' can enhance your chances of success at dating, job interviews, and other challenging life situations.

Shh. Don't show this to Mitt Romney.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not to complain, however though which I am about to, I come to Towleroad to get gay news. Sure, I don't mind seeing bit and pieces of other information but it seems like lately I am being bombarded by items that have zilch to do with LGBT issues.

In other words, seeing a piece about proper posture, or whatever, is a waste of time. Half of the items on the front page at the moment do not deal with LGBT issues. A guy who jumps in ice? How not to slouch? I'm a big fan of this website but enough is enough please. It can't be that hard to track down news items that deal with gay issues.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 17, 2012 2:10:39 PM

2. May I just clarify? I am at work during the day and usually extremely busy however I try to take some time when possible to skim this website (yes, out of any website this is the one I tend to go to). However, spending time reading an article trying to figure out what this has to do with gay issues and then realizing, once again, it has absolutely nothing to do with it, is frustrating.

Maybe you guys can have some sort of link which will show only LGBT specific issues in the search results.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 17, 2012 2:12:57 PM

3. You are very busy at work, but have time to leave not one but two comments here?

lol.

Posted by: lotusmoon | Oct 17, 2012 2:20:51 PM

4. Please do not even try to impose you vision of how Andy should run his publication. I think you got this backward. Towleroad has not never been just about Gay news. If it is just that it wouldn't have been successful. Gay people are people who actually do care about culture, art, and social novelties.

You could recommend more gay political news, but he doesn't have to accommodate. If you do not like you could find another online publication to read. But don't talk as if somehow you are entitled to something here

Posted by: David | Oct 17, 2012 2:24:33 PM

5. Reminds me of those guys who complain that there's too many women in the gay bar

Posted by: shakyacres | Oct 17, 2012 2:30:38 PM

6. Shut up Michael. No one cares about your "issues"

Posted by: unruly | Oct 17, 2012 2:37:28 PM

7. I found this super interesting and more importantly, valuable. I think people in the corporate world often marganilize gay people and in turn those gay employees internalize those feelings and thus render themselves less effective in the log run. I think these tools can help combat that. I'm totally going to start using these tips at work, in presentations and meetings. Thanks!

Posted by: cdubois | Oct 17, 2012 2:38:24 PM

8. Yes, Michael, we should never read about anything other than gay issues. We are 100% gay and there is nothing else to our character.

P.S. You sound so busy, I feel so bad for you!! Maybe you should refrain from reading blogs...especially if they don't cover content that is 100% gay all the time...

Posted by: Terry | Oct 17, 2012 2:40:01 PM

9. Yes, Michael, we should never read about anything other than gay issues. We are 100% gay and there is nothing else to our character.

Posted by: Terry | Oct 17, 2012 2:40:03 PM

10. I love the interesting range of stuff on Towleroad. I just skip over the stuff that doesn't pique my curiousity. This clip, however, I watched all the way through. I found it fascinating.

Posted by: Henry | Oct 17, 2012 2:42:36 PM

11. Thanks for this very interesting post!

Posted by: BenR | Oct 17, 2012 2:47:42 PM

12. @Michael, may I suggest that you read the headlines? I find that they are usually a pretty good indication of about what the articles are about. Hope that helps.

Posted by: voet | Oct 17, 2012 2:49:14 PM

13. If I hold my head up high will you ask me out on a date?

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 17, 2012 2:59:41 PM

14. This was a fascinating presentation that I never would have seen otherwise. I cannot believe that people complain about finding gay content on the web.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 17, 2012 3:03:38 PM

15. Can most of you, if not all of you, kindly p i s s off? Yes, I come to this blog because, would you believe it, a gay blog. A guy jumping in ice water! How not to slouch! Wow, that really enlightens my friggin day.

And, yeah I can come here while working and make comments because I can type over a 100 words a minute.

Rest assured, I would most definitely find something to complain about but it would have nothing to do with women. It would have everything to do with the amount of pathetic gay guy who seemingly can't come to grips with one little constructive critique without completely freaking out.

You guys are a justified reason for not liking gay men. Pathetic. And gee, do I have to wonder why I avoid gay bars at all cost?

Posted by: Michael | Oct 17, 2012 3:24:37 PM

16. Michael: you sound like an entitled pissant. "This blog isn't exactly what I want. Please change it so it is exactly what I want. Oh, and all those people who like it how it is? They are EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THE WORLD. Ignore them."

As others have noted, you can skip the articles that don't interest you. This has never, in the near decade I've been reading it, been an exclusively gay content blog. If that's what you're looking for, you're at the wrong place. And stamping your feet and saying "this isn't just how I want it" makes you look like a spoiled brat.

Posted by: Dan E | Oct 17, 2012 3:29:45 PM

17. Michael can type 100 words a minute! And he avoids gay bars! And likes insulting gay men! Can someone get this man a job at GOProud with a bunch of other self-hating homosexuals?? He's PERFECT!!!

Posted by: Terry | Oct 17, 2012 3:37:43 PM

18. "I would most definitely find something to complain about"

oh, I know!! xD

Please don't stop. @David, stop discouraging this guy from posting; at 100 words a minute, think of all the gems he could still have time for before getting done with "work" for the day!

Rage On, @Michael! I'll be waiting for you at the Eagle at 5pm sharp...

Posted by: shakyacres | Oct 17, 2012 3:43:52 PM

19. Towleroad is not a gay blog. It's a "site with homosexual tendencies." :)
    It could be seen as a nuanced distinction, but there is a difference nevertheless.

Posted by: Harold | Oct 17, 2012 4:24:13 PM

20. I'm a bit distracted by the incessant intake of air through the nasal channels, magnified by the blond ambition microphone. What am I to make of it in terms of non-verbal communication? Other than that, it is interesting.

Posted by: Harold | Oct 17, 2012 4:28:39 PM

21. I don't think I'll wait until the next evaluative situation. I think I'll try this at the beginning of every work day and see what happens.

Posted by: Harold | Oct 17, 2012 4:56:10 PM

22. I ALWAYS USED MY RITA HAYWORTH POWER POSE FROM THE MOVIE "GILDA" WHEN I WENT TO THE BARS, NEVER FAILED TO WORK! NAMASTE.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 17, 2012 6:22:17 PM

23. Phenomenal! And she's right, share it.

It's also bizarre, but perhaps not surprising, that MICHAEL doesn't see how this might affect gay people particularly.

Posted by: David R. | Oct 17, 2012 6:30:39 PM

24. What an inspirational video! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: David | Oct 17, 2012 8:00:16 PM

25. Gosh, Michael, you are amazing! IN SHORT: This is not a GAY BLOG. The blog isnt having hot gay sex with other gay blogs. It's a blog of stuff Andy finds relevant and amusing, and he's found a group of people who like the stuff he shares here. That's it. If you exclusively want news about homosexual subjects, then hire a freaking journalist to pen a daily digest for you to read. And if you don't do that, and come here instead, then I kindly suggest you STFU.

Posted by: topher | Oct 18, 2012 12:53:09 AM