Comments

1. Dave in PA says

Kids that come out also need to be sure they are in a safe environment when they do come out. I waited until I was working and had a place of my own before coming out to my parents to avoid being thrown out or physically hurt. Fortunately, when I did tell them, none of the bad reaction I expected happened, but I still felt better taking that extra step and waiting until I knew I had a place of my own to go after telling them.

2. Dave in PA says

3. Peter says

Dan Savage is an embarrassment to the gay community. He is a hypocrite. He advocates for anti-bullying but is a total bully himself. Can we please just vote him out already?

4. says

On National Coming Out Day, many young people are going to be taking brave and courageous steps that would put to shame the pathetic grown-adult trolls on this, and other, sites.

So that’s a good thing.

If you’re a grown adult, use today to Come Out to the people that you’ve been previously been “evasive and vague” to about your sexual orientation.

Help the next generations of young people by opening the doors for them.

Savage has undoubtedly saved so many lives by being outspoken, and by being Out.

So, raise your voice and visibility to do the same. It’s National Coming Out Day – grow up, stand up to be counted, think of someone other than yourself, and help the incoming generations by opening the doors for them.

It’s your responsibility as an adult.

watch it. very simple ways to do it.

5. Bob says

@Rick, You must be one of those anti-gay Christians who are possessed by Satan and evil to the core. Spewing your hate of Dan makes it clear that you are an enemy of LGBT people and a troll and a very mentally ill person who needs help. Today most people are on to people like you and your failed propaganda to make LGBT people like Dan look bad by trying to destroy who he is and what he does. Rick you are sick and we know it.

6. Alexander says

due to foster care i came in and out of my revolving closet door a few times so i had some practice for the lesbian couple who later adopted me when i was 13. i must say even coming out my freshmen year of highschool to lesbian parents still wasn’t easy. good luck anybody making this leap. careful with labels though you could be bisexual and both gays and straights take issue due to their own insecurities is my guess. ^_^

7. Artie_in_Lauderale says

@ Rick,

As I recall, Rick, you’re the asswipe who had a temper tantrum on this board when Anderson Cooper came out. I guess kids having a positive role model like Anderson Cooper was too much for you to handle. You even had the nerve to say that high-profile people in the media shouldn’t come out at all. We wouldn’t want kids to have anyone to look up to, would we? That might increase their chances for success, and you would find that too upsetting.

Rick, it’s long past time for you to take your routine to Free Republic, where you belong. Commenters have dropped hint after hint after hint. Just leave.

8. Artie_in_Lauderale says

@ Disgusted American,

Rick’s constant theme is “Go back in the closet.” The only thing that’s truly wrong with Rick is that he’s lost his way on the Internet, which is understandable because the Internet is a very big place. We need to get Rick an Internet map so that he can find a more welcoming place for his “Go back in the closet” routine.

9. Max says

He has a good point. His suggestion pretty much sums up what I am doing now.
    Growing up in a midly religious conservative family, being gay is not easy. Let alone when my sister said “Being gay has no future.” straight to his closeted gay brother. I am gonna wait until I am financially independent and finished my college to come out to my family. No matter what the consequences are, I will still come out because there is nothing to be ashamed of for being gay.

10. Artie_in_Lauderale says

@ Peter,

And who is Dan Savage bullying? Evangelical Christians who want you dead? So you’re too cowardly to stand up to evangelical Christians, and you resent Dan Savage because he has the balls to stand up to them. Just makes you look like a coward and an idiot.

11. Steve T. says

Oh, come on. Dan Savage is not a bully. Bullying is how the powerful strike at the powerless, like a big 6th grader taking a small 4th grader’s lunch money. When NOM or AFA or FRC squawk that they’re being bullied by Dan they’re lying, as they are far from powerless.

What Dan does is sarcasm, which has always been how the powerless strike at the powerful. More power to him.

12. Diogenes Arktos says

@Artie_in_Lauderale: You forgot Rick’s incessant diatribes against feminism.

@various: Dan Savage apologized for bullying a group of high school students at a journalism conference back in April.