Ellen DeGeneres | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ellen DeGeneres Honored with Kennedy Center 'Twain Award': VIDEO

Degeneres

Ellen DeGeneres was honored with the Kennedy Center's Mark Twain award for humor last night. MetroWeekly's Randy Shulman and the Washington Post were on hand and spoke with DeGeneres as well as Lily Tomlin, Sean Hayes, John Leguizamo,Jane Lynch, Steve Harvey, Jimmy Kimmel, and Kristin Chenoweth about her career and her legacy.

The WaPo writes:

As her friends made clear Monday night at the Twain ceremony, DeGeneres has played splendidly across the media gamut. She’s been an awards show host (trifecta: Grammys, Emmys, Oscars), a sitcom star (two bore her name), a voice actor (”Finding Nemo”), a commercial shill (American Express, JC Penney, and on and on) and an advocate for various causes. She was even a judge on “American Idol.”

DeGeneres probably deserves a Twain award just for one legendary quip. While hosting the Emmy Awards just after the terrorist attacks of 2001, she asked, “What would bug the Taliban more than seeing a gay woman in a suit surrounded by Jews?”

For all the talk of equal rights, DeGeneres is just the fourth woman to receive the Twain Prize in its 15 years, following Whoopi Goldberg, Tomlin and Tina Fey.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Congratulations Ellen. Well Deserved.

Posted by: DL | Oct 23, 2012 4:11:34 PM

2. While Ellen has helped on gay issues, she has also been counter-productive. There appears to be a two-faced aspect to what she does. I say this because it is known that Ellen has helped the careers of homophobes and those who support homophobes.

For instance, she had Usher on her show despite the fact that Usher had reportedly uttered some quite negative sentiments about gay men. She had Rihanna on her show despite the fact that Rihanna joined Beenie Man on stage after the latter had been caught out on violently anti-gay lyrics that encourage the killing of members of the homosexual community.

As I said, it's this apparent two-faced aspect that I don't like.

Posted by: jason | Oct 23, 2012 5:39:28 PM

3. Although I can't stand liberals and Democrats and I'm gay so I guess i'm pretty much a two-faced hypocrite, as well. I mean, if I'm going to hate Ellen for the reasons I listed I guess I should hate the Republican party. But I don't. Because I'm not exactly sane.

Posted by: Jason | Oct 23, 2012 5:44:17 PM

4. Usher just sang at a gay wedding "Jason." Keep up.

On the other hand -- SHUT UP!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 23, 2012 5:49:39 PM

5. David Ehrenstein,

Usher also uttered some appallingly homophobic comments about gay men. Maybe he's got two faces too.

Posted by: jason | Oct 23, 2012 5:54:47 PM

6. And how many faces do you have "Jason"?

Or is it feces?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 23, 2012 6:31:03 PM

7. Jason, I'm sure you done so much more for the LGBT community than Ellen. So why don't you show us your accomplishments? Show us the out and proud gay man you claim to be? I call your bluff, troll.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 23, 2012 7:49:59 PM

8. Was Howard Stern at the affair? I know that he is a big fan of Ellen.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 23, 2012 8:52:48 PM

9. So many people who post on this site accuse others of being trolls. The best I can figure is that a troll is someone who says things the poster disagrees with.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 23, 2012 9:22:11 PM

10. Is it my imagination or does she look like Congressman Ryan?

Posted by: vriley | Oct 24, 2012 7:10:17 AM