Boxing | I'm Gay | News | Orlando Cruz | Sports

First Gay Boxer Orlando Cruz on Coming Out: 'I'm Very, Very Happy. I am Free' - VIDEO

Orlando_cruz

Boxer Orlando Cruz gave an on-camera interview to HBO sports' Jon Frankel for a 'Real Sports' special last night exploring why athletes in the big four sports are so reluctant to reveal their sexual orientation until after their playing days.

In this clip, Cruz talks about the fear he felt as a closeted gay man. He said he would cry at home before and after the gym. He says he came out because he wanted to gain respect, and now he has it:

"[I'm] very, very happy. I am free."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

This episode will air again Wednesday at 5:10 p.m. EDT and Friday at 10:30 a.m. EDT and 7 p.m. EDT on HBO2.

Comments

1. Very happy for you! Congrats

Posted by: Dan | Oct 24, 2012 11:13:34 AM

2. I'm happy for him too! It takes some balls to be an out player in such a macho sport...

Posted by: topher | Oct 24, 2012 11:33:13 AM

3. I'm happy for him too! It takes some balls to be an out player in such a macho sport...

Posted by: topher | Oct 24, 2012 11:33:15 AM

4. I really hope Cruz becomes #1 in weight class. Either way he's already won a major battle, being openly gay while competing in probably the most "macho" sport.

On an unrelated note, Jon Frankel is hot, even if his face is shaped just like the Muppet Newscaster's.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 24, 2012 11:37:35 AM

5. Jesus, he comes off as so....smooth. Gay panties will be dropping.

Posted by: Brandon H | Oct 24, 2012 12:52:40 PM

6. *swoon*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 24, 2012 12:59:07 PM

7. i concur with lw and brandon... oh boy is he ever going to get laid now...

it might not be too comfortable to go back to puerto rico just yet, but if their celebrities keep coming out, i would hope the pendulum shifts as it has on the mainland.

Posted by: bandanajack | Oct 24, 2012 2:35:20 PM

8. So true! 25 years ago, I felt free when I came out.

Posted by: Carlos | Oct 24, 2012 3:50:41 PM

9. Cheekbones to die for.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 24, 2012 4:02:55 PM