Discrimination | Nebraska | News

BigGayDeal.com

Grand Island, Nebraska Rejects LGBT Non-Discrimination Ordinance; Councilman Does Not Want 'Gay-Friendly' City

Cc_grandisland

The Grand Island, Nebraska City Council last night rejected an ordinance that would have prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The Omaha World-Herald reports:

GrandislandThe council voted 8-2 against the proposal after rejecting separate amendments that would have postponed a decision for 30 days and placed the ordinance before voters.

The measure would have made it illegal to fail to hire or promote based on sexual orientation.

The proposal also would have outlawed failing to rent or sell a house to gays, lesbians, bisexual or transgender people, or failing to wait on people in any business in the city due to their sexual orientation.

Councilman Larry Carney said he proposed the ordinance because “fair play and justice do count.'' Carney said Grand Island should not be a place that tolerates discrimination.

But Councilman Mitch Nickerson said the city of about 50,000 should not be a “gay-friendly'' city. He said the ordinance was in opposition to city morals.

Watch a report from NCN while the hearing was still underway, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

Comments

1. What the heck are "city morals?"

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 10, 2012 9:01:04 AM

2. Grand Island won't be seeing any tourist dollars from me or anyone I know - gay or straight - because of this.

If there's a conference to attend, I'll find another more welcoming location.

Posted by: Mo Cannam | Oct 10, 2012 9:02:20 AM

3. Congrats to the Grand Island, Nebraska City Council's wisdom in officially declaring the Non-Gay-Friendly City of Grand Island where fair play and justice do NOT count. Let's see their CVB work this designation into their straights-only marketing campaign.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 10, 2012 9:24:25 AM

4. Buy nothing, spend no money, boycott Grand Island, Nebraska and encourage everyone you know to do the same. See how that flies in the face of their "city morals".

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 10, 2012 9:25:53 AM

5. You would think city leaders were smart enough to not do things like this as it drives money and business away and harms a city's reputation. Guess not.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 10, 2012 9:28:55 AM

6. Nebraska - a state I wouldnt waste my time in..

Posted by: Disgusted American | Oct 10, 2012 9:32:44 AM

7. SHAME!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tristram | Oct 10, 2012 9:37:19 AM

8. I wasn't planning on any trips to Grand Island anyway. What the heck is there that would attract me, even if they WERE the most gay-friendly city in the world?

Posted by: RWC | Oct 10, 2012 9:39:07 AM

9. A friend lived and worked in Grand Island for a year in the late 80's. His only memorable recollection is the experience of sitting on the front porch and being attacked by a local drunk with a hammer. He didn't think the attack was specifically homophobic, just part of the local mores.

Posted by: gregory brown | Oct 10, 2012 9:41:59 AM

10. Let's acknowledge that most cities in the United States do not include sexual orientation in whatever nondiscrimination laws they might have.

It underscores the need for federal legislation through the Employment Nondiscrimnation Act.

Posted by: james | Oct 10, 2012 9:53:43 AM

11. Where the eff is the federal government in this?!! Seriously. This is blatant discrimination! Why does this kind of bigotry stand in this country?!!

Posted by: AJ | Oct 10, 2012 10:06:01 AM

12. AJ, you do realize there is no federal law outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. This Congress certainly would never pass it, and based on current polls, there soon will not even be a president to advocate and sign such a bill into law even if Congress passed it. The US is many years away if not decades from outlawing sexual orientation discrimination. Add, transgender to the mix, and it is not gonna happen.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 10, 2012 10:36:56 AM

13. JAVIER: I disagree about the "current polls". I don't think Mittens will be president. And I understand about ENDA. It just blows me away that something so simple as employment discrimination in this day and age is not the rule of law. Thankfully every company I have ever worked for has had it written into their own rules.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 10, 2012 10:41:08 AM

14. it's amazing that so many American conservatives are utterly adamant about not only cementing their place on the wrong side of history, but to drive more young people to end their lives.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 10, 2012 10:53:04 AM

15. Drive through Grand Island...you will immediately understand why the ordinance failed.

Posted by: chuck | Oct 10, 2012 11:54:41 AM

16. And you just KNOW that people like this are the same people who have a sniveling fit every time someone mocks them for being podunk idiots or their town for being Nowheresville. If the shoe fits.......

Posted by: Reilly | Oct 10, 2012 12:39:28 PM

17. Is this a publicity stunt? Where?

Posted by: Runt | Oct 10, 2012 12:41:48 PM

18. "Grand Island" Nebraska can keep it's bigoted and ignorant city leadership and it's anti-equality citizens and live in the 1950's while the world moves forward.
    Never wanted to visit Nebraska and now I'll make sure I don't.

Posted by: SFshawn | Oct 10, 2012 12:59:38 PM

19. This is why I moved away from Nebraska. This, and several other delightful moments. But this is a big one.

Posted by: The Bony Man | Oct 10, 2012 7:09:25 PM

20. I'm deeply, deeply saddened/furious/dumbfounded by this. I am a native of Grand Island, Nebraska, and feel like a hole has just been punched through me. Although I haven't called Grand Island home for many years now, I still have personal ties to the city and am outraged by the city council's decision. Shame on you, Mitch Nickerson, and shame on the Grand Island city council for perpetuating intolerance and discrimination. I urge those who are considering spending their time and hard earned money within its city limits to neglect Grand Island in any and all forms.

Posted by: Seth Conaway | Oct 10, 2012 8:20:02 PM

21. The coldest week of my life was spent in Grand Island, NE, about 20 years ago. Seems as though things haven't changed.

Posted by: Rusty | Oct 10, 2012 8:59:03 PM

22. Write to the Grand Island City Council! Make your voices heard!

Electeds@grand-island.com

Posted by: Seth Conaway | Oct 10, 2012 9:16:06 PM

23. drove east thru Neb few yrs back on I-80..only thing i WELL remember, is AWFULL ODOR from roadside cattle feedlots ,and flat,boring countryside...with this news, wont go thru that ignorant bigoted state again, whew!

Posted by: codyj | Oct 22, 2012 5:58:56 PM

24. drove east thru Neb few yrs back on I-80..only thing i WELL remember, is AWFULL ODOR from roadside cattle feedlots ,and flat,boring countryside...with this news, wont go thru that ignorant bigoted state again, whew!

Posted by: codyj | Oct 22, 2012 5:58:57 PM