Comments

1. Mo Cannam says

Grand Island won’t be seeing any tourist dollars from me or anyone I know – gay or straight – because of this.

If there’s a conference to attend, I’ll find another more welcoming location.

2. HadenoughBS says

Congrats to the Grand Island, Nebraska City Council’s wisdom in officially declaring the Non-Gay-Friendly City of Grand Island where fair play and justice do NOT count. Let’s see their CVB work this designation into their straights-only marketing campaign.

3. Francis says

You would think city leaders were smart enough to not do things like this as it drives money and business away and harms a city’s reputation. Guess not.

4. RWC says

I wasn’t planning on any trips to Grand Island anyway. What the heck is there that would attract me, even if they WERE the most gay-friendly city in the world?

5. gregory brown says

A friend lived and worked in Grand Island for a year in the late 80’s. His only memorable recollection is the experience of sitting on the front porch and being attacked by a local drunk with a hammer. He didn’t think the attack was specifically homophobic, just part of the local mores.

6. james says

Let’s acknowledge that most cities in the United States do not include sexual orientation in whatever nondiscrimination laws they might have.

It underscores the need for federal legislation through the Employment Nondiscrimnation Act.

7. Javier says

AJ, you do realize there is no federal law outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. This Congress certainly would never pass it, and based on current polls, there soon will not even be a president to advocate and sign such a bill into law even if Congress passed it. The US is many years away if not decades from outlawing sexual orientation discrimination. Add, transgender to the mix, and it is not gonna happen.

8. AJ says

JAVIER: I disagree about the “current polls”. I don’t think Mittens will be president. And I understand about ENDA. It just blows me away that something so simple as employment discrimination in this day and age is not the rule of law. Thankfully every company I have ever worked for has had it written into their own rules.

9. Reilly says

And you just KNOW that people like this are the same people who have a sniveling fit every time someone mocks them for being podunk idiots or their town for being Nowheresville. If the shoe fits…….

10. SFshawn says

“Grand Island” Nebraska can keep it’s bigoted and ignorant city leadership and it’s anti-equality citizens and live in the 1950’s while the world moves forward.
    Never wanted to visit Nebraska and now I’ll make sure I don’t.

11. Seth Conaway says

I’m deeply, deeply saddened/furious/dumbfounded by this. I am a native of Grand Island, Nebraska, and feel like a hole has just been punched through me. Although I haven’t called Grand Island home for many years now, I still have personal ties to the city and am outraged by the city council’s decision. Shame on you, Mitch Nickerson, and shame on the Grand Island city council for perpetuating intolerance and discrimination. I urge those who are considering spending their time and hard earned money within its city limits to neglect Grand Island in any and all forms.

12. codyj says

drove east thru Neb few yrs back on I-80..only thing i WELL remember, is AWFULL ODOR from roadside cattle feedlots ,and flat,boring countryside…with this news, wont go thru that ignorant bigoted state again, whew!

13. codyj says