Greek Neo-Nazis Protest Gay Jesus Play ‘Corpus Christi’

GreeceProtest

Police in Athens Thursday night detained 30 people during a violent protest by the neo-Nazi group Golden Dawn of the gay-themed play Corpus Christi.

In addition to blocking entry to the playhouse, the group also reportedly beat their opposition while the police turned their backs.

Penned by Terrence McNally in 1998, Corpus Christi has always been controversial because of McNally's casting of Jesus and the Apostles as gay men in Texas, a plot device Greece's Golden Dawn and dozens of other groups over the years have called "blasphemous."

"This is a blasphemous play," Golden Dawn lawmaker Ilias Panagiotaros said. He also launched into a tirade against gay people and Alabanians, because the play's director is Albanian, according to the South African Independent.

Leftist lawmaker Petros Tatsopoulo described the showdown as a "night of
terror," telling reporters, "Golden Dawn members twisted the doors so
the actors could not get out, and to keep [help] from getting in."

And according to eyewitness accounts, police did nothing as Golden Dawn members brazenly beat their open-minded opposition. Local reporter Manolis V offered his take via Twitter: "The police is next to us. I shout 'They're beating me, aren't you going
to do something?'… I move away so I can look on
from distance. A well-known Golden Dawn MP follows me. He punches me
twice in the face and knocks me to the ground. While on the ground, I
lose my glasses. The Golden Dawn MP kicks me. The police are just two
steps away but turn their back."

Yiannis Baboulias at UK's Guardian notes that this incident is just another example of how right-winger fascist groups are operating with carte-blanche in Greece:

Greece is being held hostage by a police force that increasingly appears
beyond state control, and which has long forsaken its role of
protecting citizens from the thugs they now side with, and by a
government which relishes the distraction the Golden Dawn provides from
the cuts and tax hikes.

The government's unwillingness to revoke
parliamentary privileges from those Golden Dawn MPs who participate in
or condone violent acts, and to speed up processes to have them
prosecuted and condemned, demonstrates this.

As in many other European nations, Greece has seen a rise in neo-Nazi activity, though Golden Dawn insists they're not related to Hitler and his hideous ideology. Rather, they claim to be patriotic.

"We will continue the fight for a Greece that belongs to Greeks," said Golden Dawn leader Nikolaos Michaloliakos in May after Golden Dawn retained 18 parliamentary seats.

Comments

1. jamal49 says

And, behind every good little Greek neo-nazi, you can be certain to find the Orthodox Church, whispering nationalistic, xenophobic, homophobic sweet nothings in his ear.

2. Michael says

Go read the Gospel of John. It clearly says John was The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved. That Book gives every indication if Jesus has an orientation it would be homosexual.

3. ratbastard says

1) Albania director? Albanians are mostly Muslim. Chew on that.

2) Greece is in a very bad place at the moment. Athens is not Chelsea – Manhattan or Soho London. It would be wise for everyone not interested in violence and trolling for violence to take a step back, and and think carefully about what they do and say, so as not to unnecessarily provoke violence.

3) If you do engage in ‘cutting edge’ or provocative stuff, be prepared for violence, and don’t act shocked when cops in a place like Greece [at this time in place] don’t protect you. What we’re seeing is a collapse of law, order, and social stability in Greece. When this happens, anywhere, things get ugly, and the veneer of civilization [let alone political correctness] disappears. People in such situations better learn fast how to protect themselves and get the tools needed to do so, of they already can’t.

4. ratbastard says

There’s a substantial presence of far right extremist, including so-called neo-Nazis, in Montreal area and Quebec.

And many Francophones outside Montreal especially are quite right-wing, often VERY far right.

5. graphicjack says

Ratbastard,
    I agree that people should protect themselves and possibly that people should avoid putting on or attending controversial work in a place known as lawless or intolerant… however… a place is never going to change for the better if there is no peaceful dissent to the mainstream. No one ever won their rights by staying quiet.

6. says

it’s actually one of the sharpest, most incisive and incredibly moving works of theatre to come along in a very long time.

blasphemous? what are they talking about? they haven’t even seen it.

these fools are so freakin’ stupid. why not go home, put on your dvd of Mel Gibson’s “The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre” and pray for your economy to recover.

and know this, America – the GOP wants this to happen here. Boehner catering to right-wing bigots censoring art at the Smithsonian. Cutting funding to PBS. Know that throughout history the slimiest politicians seek to censor art in order to control the masses, because they know that art transforms lives.

7. says

and anyone who cowers and caters to the idiots is…..well, a coward.

progress isn’t made by letting bullies win, and the only ones who think it is are likely anonymous cowardly trolls who couldn’t find their own balls with a magnifying glass.

as per usual.

*elegant curtsy*

8. Diogenes Arktos says

@Ratbastard: Check wikipedia on three recent demographic studies about religion in Albania: at most 50% are Muslim. The communists did their work well, as Albania was declared the “First Atheist State”. Gallup, moreover, lists Albania as the 13th least religious country. Official religious freedom only returned in 1992. The director, therfore, is most likely non-religious. BTW – Albania’s most famous citizen is the late Blessed Mother Teresa.

9. Diogenes Arktos says

@Ratbastard: I supposed it should come as no surprise that a convention of Quebecois Francophones chose Cabaret’s “The Future Belong to Me” as one of their theme songs.

10. says

@ Michael :
    Agreed , the Bible contains many approvals of homosexuality, including Jesus and John:

David and Jonathan with “the love that passeth the love of women”;
    Ruth and Naomi,”whither thou goest I shall go, your people shall be my people…..”

But hasn’t there been a recent papyrus indicating that there was a Mrs Jesus ?…..not ruling out the possibility he was gay with John.

BTW for the Greeks to oppose homosexuality is a terrible betrayal of their history and culture; cf Thebes and Lakonia/Sparta.
    But they seem to have left classical and heroic Greece behind a long time ago and now they may return to the time of the fascist Colonels.

11. Len says

And when the Greek citizenry finally erupts and takes down the government, the politicians will all cry, “How did this happen?! Who could have foreseen this?!”…

12. MaddM@ says

hmmmm…. a country in a horrible economic situation that’s turning to far right extremism and justifying domestic terrorism by hiding behind patriotism and religion, claiming to be the true cultural vanguards of their country and ethnic identity.

Nope not like hitler and the nazis at all!

How absolutely disgusting. And interesting that some would say going in agreement with them will somehow bring peace an leniency- give me a break. At least go down fighting and keep some dignity rather than die from getting your face stomped in while trying to lick the boots of the oppressors.

13. SoLeftImRight says

Always lovely to be reminded that Muslims don’t own the monopoly on violent religious extremism.

14. ratbastard says

@Diogenes Arktos,

Most Albanians are at least defacto Muslim. I’m aware the communist did a number on Albania, like every place else they mis-managed. I wasn’t necessarily implying this was a Muslim conspiracy, which I think is silly. BUT, Greek far rightist affiliated with the church will are certainly aware of Albania’s demographics. You do the math.

=============

I stand by by Quebec comments 100%.

15. stevemd2 says

55 million died and some people just dont get it

the leaders of these groups should be dropped of naked and without anything in Borneo

they still had headhunters there as of 10 years ago.

16. Diogenes Arktos says

@Ratbastard: I did the math. Check your statistics. I also pointed out indirectly that the most famous Albanian is RC – homophobic and anti-choice.

Who criticized your comments on the Quebecois? I certainly didn’t. You need to give up your gay card. The Cabaret number I gave is sung by a NAZI.

17. ratbastard says

Touche, Diogenes Arktos; no, I didn’t know what that song was. I don’t like musicals in general, so don’t be surprised.

Albania is essentially considered to be a Muslim country more-so than Christian.

18. Richie Rich says

The real shame is that the play is so god-awfully badly written. I worked on this piece of crap back when it first debuted at Manhattan Theatre Club in NYC. It’s just dreadful. The entire staff and all those on the production put up with so much crap just to get this to the stage and the playwright didn’t hold up his end of the bargain. Should have never seen the light of day again…not because it’s controversial but because it’s just such a bad play. I expected much more form McNally.

19. Diogenes Arktos says

@Ratbastard: While it has been intresting discussing the religious breakdown of Albania, I believe that the religious background of the Albanian director is irrelvant. I think the issue is nationalism, pure and simple: he’s not Greek. To be honest, I also have to turn in my gay card, because my knowledge of theater is too limited.

20. Plomo says

If Jesus was real he was certainly not gay. To be the image of god and be gay? our point of life is for procreation and the family none of which are possible through homosexuality. To defame Jesus in the orthodox nation of Greece is low, not only do international zionists destroyed the economy of Greece through speculative lending with the help of Goldman Sachs…they want to piss on their religion as well.

Enough I hope that the Golden Dawn wins the next election.

21. Lakis Velotris says

Golden Dawn folows the lead of the Greek government SAEUSA.org administering to “expatriate homogeneity”. THe 2003 book of Berkeley Theologian Paul Manolis exposed how they racketeer to deny the ghetto their American Birthright in order to have them as a captive lobby for Greece.