2012 Election | Chick-fil-A | Education | Film and TV | Maine | Maryland | Minnesota | News | Paul Ryan | Religion | Rihanna | Science | Washington

News: Racist Shirt, Elon University, Bangor, Endeavor

1NewsIcon Concise and clear headline of the day: "Black, gay and Christian, Marylanders struggle with conflicts".

Racistshirt1NewsIcon An Ohio man showed his racist pride by wearing a shirt that read "Put the white back in the White House" at a Mitt Romney campaign rally.

1NewsIcon Check out a new Django Unchained trailer.

1NewsIcon BusinessWeek highlights 15 advertisements illustrating how far we as a culture have come in terms of gay and lesbian inclusion. There's till further to go, though.

1NewsIcon Elon University's Student Government Association voted 35-11 to ask the campus' Chick-fil-A outpost to relocate elsewhere. The resolution has now been sent to the group's executive president for either approval or a veto.

1NewsIcon Paul Harris profiles Timothy Kurek, the straight Liberty University graduate who pretended to be gay for a year, over at The Guardian.

1NewsIcon Paul Ryan uttered an estimated 24 un-truths during his debate against Joe Biden.

RihannaVogue1NewsIcon Rihanna Vogues.

1NewsIcon The Federal Trade Commission is reportedly building an anti-trust case against Google. "Commission staff [is] preparing a recommendation that the government sue the search giant...The agency’s central focus is whether Google manipulates search results to favor its own products, and makes it harder for competitors and their products to appear prominently on a results page."

1NewsIcon A round-up of some celebrities with great mug shots.

1NewsIcon The space shuttle Endeavor is inching closer to its permanent home at the California Space Center.

1NewsIcon A refresher for anyone unsure of which gay votes are going down where next month: "Washington is one of four states where voters are being asked about gay marriage. Maryland legalized gay marriage this year as well, but that state will also have a public vote next month. In Maine, voters will decide on an initiative to approve same-sex marriage three years after a referendum overturned a gay marriage law passed by the Maine Legislature. And in Minnesota, voters will decide whether to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage there."

1NewsIcon Fred Karger on NOM: "We need to fight back against equality’s single most formidable opponent as it continues its attempt to take away the rights from millions of Americans at every level of government."

Daddysroomie1NewsIcon A 1991 book called Daddy's Roommate tried to explain homosexuality to children.

1NewsIcon The 12-person city council in Bangor, Maine, unanimously voted to endorse a measure that would legalize gay marriage in the state. The city "consistently opposed discrimination and acknowledged the importance of the diversity of its citizens," they said in their non-binding resolution.

1NewsIcon Openly gay Washington State Sen. Ed Murray discusses his tight relationship to the anti-gay Catholic Church. "My faith has helped me see people who strongly disagree with me as important and wonderful people, even when I can’t stand them and they can’t stand me," he said.

1NewsIcon Actor Gary Collins has died at the age of 74.

Comments

1. Rihanna is a known supporter of violently anti-gay dancehall music acts from the Caribbean. You can check it out on YouTube if you type in Rihanna and Beenie Man, for instance. Google will show you as well.

Why on earth is Andrew Belonsky, who I suspect is given the privilege of posting articles on Towleroad, publicizing such a vile individual? You've got your priorities mis-placed, Andrew.

Posted by: jason | Oct 13, 2012 6:12:32 PM

2. The people tracking Ryan bloopers missed this one, where he thinks Canada is overseas.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Oct 13, 2012 6:59:55 PM

3. Belonsky refuses to admit ANY minority can be anti-gay, Jason. Totally hides from it. We know that by now. He tried to coddle himself away in a little Manhattan pc pretend-world, like so many out-of-towners who move here. And if you challenge that....watch out! You'll see claws.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 13, 2012 7:04:55 PM

4. I got Jason'd. That's what I call taking a comment seriously until I check the name seventy-five percent of the way through and it turns out to be Jason. It's like getting rickrolled.

Posted by: Solomon | Oct 13, 2012 7:10:35 PM

5. As the election draws nearer, it seems racism is what drive conservatives.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 13, 2012 7:33:09 PM

6. Geeze YUPP, sounds like you have issues. Please provide proof of your claims.

Posted by: EYEROLL | Oct 13, 2012 7:35:29 PM

7. "A 1991 book called Daddy's Roommate tried to explain homosexuality to children."

And TWLRD didn't know that until DListed pointed it out today, after 21yrs later?! LOL

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Oct 13, 2012 8:38:33 PM

8. Well done Elon university for keeping up the pressure on Chick Fil A !!!!! I hope your Executive President has the balls to support you.

Posted by: Icebloo | Oct 13, 2012 9:14:27 PM

9. A link from the Dlisted article about "Daddy's Roommate" leads to a discussion of banned books and specifically Sarah Palin's efforts as mayor of Wasilla to have that book and others removed from the local library. When the head librarian resisted censorship efforts Palin had her fired, but widespread local support for the librarian led to her being reinstated.

This came up as an issue during the 2004 election and Palin lied and lied about it and her supporters denied it had ever happened.

Posted by: Caliban | Oct 13, 2012 10:42:53 PM

10. "PUT WHITE BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE" ? Now that's a troll!, the standard by which to measure us - I mean - them by.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 13, 2012 11:02:11 PM

11. @Iban4yesu: your point?

Posted by: BLOL | Oct 13, 2012 11:05:43 PM

12. Rihanna has connections to anti-gay singers whom she has supported even after they were exposed as being homophobic. This isn't garden-variety homophobia, by the way. I'm talking singers who actively support the killing of gays and lesbians. Peter Tatchell of the UK gay activist group calls it "murder music", I believe.

Rihanna went on stage and sang with Beenie Man in 2007 even though he had been exposed as being a member of the murder music set in 2004.

Posted by: jason | Oct 13, 2012 11:40:49 PM

13. I remember Daddy's Roommate in the kid's family books section in Border's when I was a kid. I read through it and was happy it was there.

Posted by: luminum | Oct 14, 2012 9:51:47 AM

14. I still have my copy of "Daddy's Roommate". I got it at a B&N in Manhattan. It created quite a bit of controversy ("gay agenda" and all that). It was banned, of course, from many public school libraries. The Archbishop of NY condemned it. Pat Robertson went ballistic. I cherished it then as I do now.

Rihanna, dear Jason, is not a homophobe and has been a friend to the LGBT community. Her appearance with Beany Man is irrelevant. They did music together. They didn't shout homophobic comments from the shared stage. And, dear Jason, who knows if Rihanna hasn't spoken privately to some of her compatriots about their homophobia?

Therefore, little Jason, what is your point?

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 14, 2012 11:46:02 AM

15. @Solomon
    I can usually spot Jason comments within half a sentence and stop reading

Posted by: Steve | Oct 14, 2012 11:56:51 AM

16. ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

Posted by: Walt | Oct 14, 2012 8:22:53 PM

17. @WALT: up your meds.

Posted by: BETTY | Oct 14, 2012 9:58:02 PM

18. Please no more rich white male presidents. They are f**king up this country. I'm 5th generation Mexican American and these men don't represent me as a citizen of the US. All they know is big business, big money, and 'traditional family values'. And yet they continuously demonstrate weak morals and ethics. NO THANK YOU.

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Oct 14, 2012 10:38:08 PM