2012 Election | Abortion | Barack Obama | Donald Trump | Jay Leno | Kenya | News

President Obama Censures Mourdock, Mocks Trump On 'Tonight Show': VIDEO

ObamaLeno

President Obama touched on a whole slew of topics during his appearance on NBC's Tonight Show last night.

The commander-in-chief talked Halloween, the debates and test-driving a pal's Chevy Volt. He also poked fun at Donald Trump's offer to donate $5 million to a charity of Obama's choice if the president would unveil his college transcripts and passport application, another volley in Trump's publicity campaign to "prove" Obama is foreign.

"This all goes back to when we grew up together in Kenya," the president laughed. "We had constant run-ins on the soccer field. He wasn’t very good and resented it. When we finally moved to America I thought it would be over.”

The biggest headlines out of last night however are Obama's comments about Richard Mourdock, the Romney-backed Indiana Senate candidate who pulled a Todd Akin by saying that rape is "something God intended" and victims should keep potential babies produced by said crime.

Obama of course disagrees:

I don’t know how these guys come up with these ideas. Let me make a very simple proposition: rape is rape. It is a crime. These various distinctions about rape don’t make any sense to me. This is exactly why you don’t want a bunch of politicians, mostly male, make decisions about women’s heath issues.

Watch Obama's comments about Mourdock and Trump as well as the NBC-provided footage of Jay Leno's entire interview with President Obama AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. The Republican Party candidate Mourdock is clearly too religious for his own good. His comments are typical of those who are too religious.

Posted by: jason | Oct 25, 2012 9:23:02 AM

2. http://www.desmoinesregister.com

The largest newspaper in Iowa didn't take kindly to Obama initially insisting any interview be "off the record" with them and then scooting off to Jay Leno. Their newspaper today has the two massive pictures of the candidates seen in the link. Oh, I'm used to media bias. Just not in the opposite direction.

Posted by: MarkUs | Oct 25, 2012 9:30:04 AM

3. Markus Markus Markus

You aren't used to media bias. You aren't used to reality not conforming to your delusions.

Posted by: Polyboy | Oct 25, 2012 9:44:29 AM

4. If Trump will show us what he looks like without his hairpiece, we'll donate $5M to charity.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 25, 2012 9:59:21 AM

5. I am a lifelong democrat who only once voted for a republican, so I know my view is not objective. However, I can not for the life of me understand how anyone would vote for Romney over this bright, thoughtful, caring and extremely competent man: Mr. Obama. I think he has all the qualities and then some of JFK and Clinton without the personal weaknesses.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 11:09:54 AM

6. I think Obama have done a good job, and he also have humor. I like his policies. I really hope he will win.

Posted by: nn | Oct 25, 2012 11:12:58 AM

7. POTUS' appearance last night was really one of his best and props to Jay Leno for letting him do his thing. Agree with Andrew above - Obama is just so damn thoughtful, insightful and introspective whereas Romneybot is so cold and calculated.

Posted by: Drew | Oct 25, 2012 11:22:48 AM

8. @Jason: I agree that Mourdock is too religious in the same way that the Taliban are too religious.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 11:29:03 AM

9. Obama seems like a person one can relate to, Romney seems like some rich guy who looks down on people less fortunate than him. At the end of the day who would you want running the country? A person the 'average' American can relate to or a privileged spoiled 'kid' who thinks he is making his family proud?

Posted by: Will | Oct 25, 2012 12:03:38 PM

10. I'm not a fan of Leno, never have been. But I must say I've seen Obama as a guest on both Letterman and Leno and by far Leno is the best interviewer. This segment was entertaining, fun and very informative. After having seen Romney and Obama on these shows, how can anyone seriously consider voting for Romney? Not only would I much rather have a beer or dinner with Obama and Biden, I feel much better with them in the WH than I ever could or ever would with those Romney/Ryan cretins.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 25, 2012 12:48:15 PM

11. Obama thrills me with warmth in the heart. What a great way to start off the day.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 25, 2012 1:54:23 PM

12. This was, of course, a political move. Polls show that Obama wins the likeability test. In fact, the GOP has written off trying to get people to like Romney; they don't. So, it's smart to have Obama go on these shows to remind people of one of his campaign strengths.
    And, yes, he is charming, funny, real, and relaxed. (Not one of those adjectives would ever be used to describe Romney.)

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 25, 2012 3:35:33 PM

13. As a Gaelophile and myself a grandson of the Old Sod. I think that much of Obama's charm and good humor come from his Irish roots. We are told that Obama's Kenyan father was a university educated and very bright man, that may be where his keen intellect comes from. However, that smile and charm is all Irish.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 4:42:53 PM

14. Obama is a charmless asshat and he is about as Irish as Prince Harry's left nut.

This ignorant low IQ affirmative-action joke is spending his time of the View, Leno, MTV and Comedy Central and then people which that we should be respectful for him?

If you lower the office, get out knothead.

Posted by: jamman | Oct 25, 2012 5:49:34 PM

15. @Jamman: Mr Obama does indeed have an Irish heritage. His great-great-great grandfather Joseph Kearney was born is the small village of Moneygall, Ireland. Last March 20, 2012, the Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny presented Mr Obama with a formal certificate of Irish Heritage in a White House ceremony. The rest of your post is just your ignorant opinions to which you are entitled. You are not however entitled to your own facts. Mr Obama is of Irish as well as Kenyan descent

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 6:47:17 PM

16. if you don't think the government should be involved in our bodies then why are we about to have a national, government-run, health care system?

Posted by: kderpder | Oct 25, 2012 10:15:28 PM

17. Don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Oct 25, 2012 10:16:22 PM

18. @ Leprechaunvict: I was tempted, but will take your advice.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 25, 2012 10:22:50 PM

19. JAMMAN - calling Obama a "charmless asshat" annoints you directly with the term fully warning all of a dolt's presence. Go away.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 26, 2012 2:19:16 AM

20. NEATO! Yet another lowbrow TV appearance from our community organizer-in-chief. Please discuss: "But I'd like to know why Obama would go against his redistributionist nature and choose to deprive a charity of his choice from receiving a cool $5 million from The Top One Percent. Reportedly, Obama's spent millions to keep these records secret, so there's no question he'll refuse Trump's offer. And that's what keeps me from caving to pressure that insists I jump on the Trump-Is-A-Laughingstock bandwagon.

In a perfect world I could jump on the bandwagon, but it's the media and the left who have set absurd standards involving every nook and cranny of a Republican's past. And if it takes a stunt like this to call attention to this glaring double standard and the shadowy past of our secretive president, we're better off with Trump than without him.

Now we know that keeping whatever's in those records secret is more important to Obama than a charity receiving $5 million. Moreover, voters everywhere have now been reminded of this fact.

Laugh it up, but in my book that's a good thing."

Posted by: SayWHAT? | Oct 26, 2012 4:31:04 AM

21. Libya, anyone? Hello??? Yea, I'm sure he's a nice guy that you could drink a beer with, but what happened in Libya and the subsequent cover up deems him unworthy of the Office. Hillary should be ashamed of herself, also. They threw American free speech under the bus, because they didn't want to admit al Queda is not going away. But hey, I'm just a troll, nothing to read here, move along.

Posted by: Amy | Oct 27, 2012 2:01:11 PM