Sam Champion is Gay and Engaged to Be Married

Champion

TV meteorologist Sam Champion is gay and engaged to be married to his boyfriend Rubem Robierb, ABC News reports:

“We are thrilled and so excited and thank everyone for their good wishes,” says Champion.

Champion and Robierb met through mutual friends a few years ago in Miami, where Robierb lives. Born in Brazil, Robierb is a fine-arts photographer who shows his work in Miami, Atlanta, Santa Monica and New York.
The two plan to wed later this year.

Champion also discusses his engagement in a report on last weekend's wedding of MSNBC Anchor Thomas Roberts to Patrick Abner, published in the Vows section today:

Among the 170 or so guests at the reception was Sam Champion, the weather anchor at ABC’s “Good Morning America.” He took a turn on the dance floor with his partner, the photographer Rubem Robierb.

“We’re getting married New Year’s Eve in Miami,” Mr. Champion said in the spirit of the moment.

Mr. Robierb corrected him: “We’ll do it here officially, and then have a party in Miami.”

Tweeted Champion this afternoon: "I've never been happier to share a bit of personal news!!"

While Champion has dwelled in a so-called 'glass closet' for some time, I believe this is the first time Champion has discussed his sexuality publicly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Congrats in any case!

Comments

1. Jim says

I danced with Sam on Fire Island once and he was really fun, and great looking. This picture, however, is waaaaay too photoshopped. He looks like he’s in Madame Tussauds.

2. GregCT says

Back in the 90s when he was still the weatherman for ABC-7 in NYC, Sam used to go to Art Bar in Stamford, CT with his posse on gay nights, so we’ve known about him forever … glad that he can be really out and proud. I agree his face looks unnatural in the above picture!

3. Clay says

Sam Champion has been a regular fixture in every gay bar and establishment in Manhattan for years. This middle aged bleached blonde has been routinely seen on NYC streets holding hands with his various boyfriends over the years. No surprise at all. AC did make it easier for tv news types to come out of their “glass closets”. Congrats!

4. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, Mr Champion’s fiance is beautiful.

I’m going to Brazil one day so that I can touch (and taste) exquisite human beauty.

‘Course I know I’ll have to put out some money for the company of some handsome young Brazilian. But that’s what decadent American tourists are expected to do…right, Ratbastard and Rick?

Yes, I’m going to Brazil before I go on to Glory. …guess I’d better hurry up.

5. Sarah says

Sam’s previous boyfriend, Shawn Bell, was even more handsome! And they were together from 2006-2011. This must have been a whirlwind romance – Best to them all.

6. TANK says

I hope that some of the bitchier middle-aged queens around here don’t jump all over Tank for asking this question, but a few years back I read that Sam Champion was dating a certain MLB star who used to appear in tons of commercials, but who then suddenly disappeared from the airwaves. Does that mean the MLB guy is going to come out now, too?!

7. RichBinPS says

Sam is no AC but no one is. There has been several tabloid stories circulated that included Sam ‘so’. There’s never enough good news, here’s hope this is another good role model romance being circulated. Regardless, wish the best to the men.

8. marc says

Folks-

Why can’t you simply be happy for two openly gay men who are willing to share their happiness with the world. Sam is a NYC institution who’s gone national with GMA. He’s always been a thoughtful and friendly guy at the gym, on the street and even out in the Pines. Visibility is a good thing for all of us.

Congratulations to a handsome couple. Many happy years!

Marc

9. Nelson says

Sam was a regular at the Brasilian escort saunas.
    He was extremely good looking and was very generous with money for the boys.
    The boys loved him since he was a “Power Bottom “.
    No surprise that he would marry a Brasilian.

10. Chris says

Yupp: He was the WABC weatherman for almost 20 years. And has been very visible in the media and in the community the whole time — hence, institution.

11. Karen says

Re: Homosexuality – SIN: I Cor. 6:9, 10; Leviticus 18:22; Deuteronomy 23:17; I Timothy 1:10; Homosexuality is a sin in God’s eyes. Sam Champion and Rubem Robierb please read the Bible and get right with God. If you don’t know God, you can admit your sins, ask God for forgiveness and accept him as your Lord and Saviour who died on the Cross for our sins.

12. david says

Won’t be watching GMA anymore–don’t need to have this dispicable life style paraded around as being normal–didn’t like the way Lara Spencer “gushed” when this was announced—just made me sick!!!