Art and Design | Honey Boo Boo | Jason Mecier | News

Mosaic Artist Completes Honey Boo Boo Portrait Made of Trash: VIDEO

Mecier

Mosaic portrait artist Jason Mecier has completed 50 hours of work on a Honey Boo Boo Portrait made from trash.

*Highlights include two cans of hair spray, three tiaras, make-up, mascara, fake eyelashes, coupons, sketti, butter, ten cheese balls, two Red Bulls, one Mountain Dew, a McDonald's chicken nugget, a pink Snuggy box, an empty toilet paper roll, one cabbage patch doll and a jar of Pigs Feet. No roadkill was injured during the making of this portrait!

Watch him assemble it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Some of Mecier's other work here. Remember, everybody's a little bit gay.

Honey-Boo-Boo

Comments

1. Honey Boo Boo is not only a national treasure, she is an international treasure.

Haters stay pressed and redneckognize.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 16, 2012 1:05:56 PM

2. Ok, that's actually freakin' incredible.

There's something interesting about this program - despite being fodder for anyone and everyone who wants to crack an easy joke, the core is a family that (gasp!) truly loves one another. and doesn't seem to give a flying f**k what others think.

i just think of so many otherwise "dignified" families who disown their children and family members for the most asinine of reasons.

and here's some family everyone is dedicated to labeling as "disgusting white trash", and what do they do? love and accept each other just as they are.

i just wish they ate better. :( health, yo.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 16, 2012 1:08:58 PM

3. On his website, he has other mosaics of Phyllis Diller and Florence Henderson.

I think he might be gay.

Posted by: ripper | Nov 16, 2012 1:09:45 PM

4. Man, somebody could have great fun setting that whole thing on fire and laughing in the face of Big Pu$$y-boy as he bawled his eyes out, being too deficient in masculinity to do anything about it despite his considerable size.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 16, 2012 1:33:41 PM

5. Rick, I really hope that's an imposter because that's even lower than you usually stoop. Whoever you are, you're a real piece of sh*t.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 16, 2012 1:45:11 PM

6. It's a shame, that old grump should realise that she's just a child. Let her live her way atleast through her childhood. Wtf is wrong with that man, does, he think by doing this he has climbed Mt. Everest? Symbolising a child with thrash is a grossly thrash minded act in itself specially when the child hasn't done any harm to him. If you don't like her then just stop getting so obsessed with her!

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 16, 2012 1:53:59 PM

7. What makes you think he's saying that SHE is trash? "Found object" mosaic seems to be his medium, and he did a great job. No matter whether you like her or not (and there are some very likable things about that family), it's not like a mosaic of precious jewels would really capture her appeal. She's part of our disposable pop culture, not the Queen of friggin' England!

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 16, 2012 2:11:30 PM

8. OMG, that poor Cabbage Patch Kid! That said, I like the piece.

Posted by: Joel V | Nov 16, 2012 2:16:14 PM

9. There's only one "old grump" on this page and it's you RYAN. Honey Boo Boo Child is part of low-brow pop culture, somewhere around there with found-object art. There are many people who appreciate both with genuine affection, not mocking condescension. Lighten up!

Posted by: txstevo | Nov 16, 2012 2:17:19 PM

10. I'm amused at people who decide something is "low-brow." Weren't Shakespeare's plays considered low brow when they were written? Or some of the surviving ancient Greek plays?

Posted by: jht | Nov 16, 2012 2:28:35 PM

11. TXSTEVO: I'm just 19 you d*mb and btw it was my perspective to see it, it was a genuine reaction which came straight from my heart and I didn't ask you guys to agree or disagree so, better stop giving out troll like personal comments which are off the topic. I would have found have found it offensive if someone will make a portrait of me from trash without my prior consent. Moreover, if it's really a piece of art then why don't you give your mamma, papa and sista photos to the mosaic artist to make similar portraits. Better ask him to include his family in the frame too.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 16, 2012 2:36:26 PM

12. @RYAN - Found-object art, folk art, whatever you want to call it, may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is a real art form, particularly in the American South. All over the world, especially in poorer countries, people build shrines Catholic Saints using junk they found in landfills and dumpsters. Are they mocking those saints? No. Just the opposite.

Keep an open mind.

Posted by: txstevo | Nov 16, 2012 3:24:43 PM

13. How incredibly appropriate how trash is being used to pay tribute to a "personality" that only the absolute trashiest of humanity would take an interest in.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 16, 2012 5:37:32 PM

14. I know Jason personally and own one of his pieces. Believe me when I say that he is reverent to all of his subjects. Almost all the celebrities that you see on his site are from his "Celebrity Junk Drawer" series and include items sent to him from those celebrities from their home junk drawers.

There is nothing mean spirited about what he is doing. He has a sincere love for pop culture especially the low-brow variety.

Posted by: Richard | Nov 16, 2012 6:10:32 PM

15. @TXSTEVO: You still didn't get it! May be you're just too old to understand this. It's not about mind. It's about heart! I said that because I feel that I wouldn't not like anyone to make a portrait of me using thrash without my consent. And that would be irrespective of the fact that whether the portrait is beautiful or not, which is what the mind perceives. Therefore, for me, even if I were poor, I would rather have no portrait than one made of thrash without consulting me.

So, keep a closed mouth. (or better, your hands off the keyboard if you still can't get it as I don't think you're gonna get the noble prize for meaningless bickering.)

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 16, 2012 6:18:13 PM

16. @RYAN: You don't get it.

"I said that because I feel that I wouldn't not like anyone to make a portrait of me using thrash without my consent".

Well, good thing that NO ONE did that. Please keep your sensitivities to yourself, especially when no one was asking and your were never involved.

Posted by: Richard | Nov 16, 2012 7:05:08 PM

17. Totally agree with Littlekiwi. Come on you bitches, the kid is only 8 years old or so and you're spewing on her? WTF? And Rick, you are f#&@ed in the head.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 16, 2012 11:49:14 PM

18. Despite no post self restrictions: plus one.

Posted by: TJ | Nov 17, 2012 12:50:12 AM

19. Um, what I meant was - dear Kiwi: despite no post (blah blah blah)...

Posted by: TJ | Nov 17, 2012 12:51:58 AM

20. As an artist who does found art portraits myself, I think this is a great piece. Her family has made her a public object as a child but the artist has found some heart and damned good composition and color in his piece. What is the problem? Trash or recyclables is just the medium, like using acrylics or pastels, it is not a statement on her worth, it's what he "paints" with. Lighten up.

Posted by: lisilk | Nov 17, 2012 2:42:44 AM

21. Ripper: What Gave It Away?...LMAO!!! I would bet my home that A Couple More Years From Now Honey Boo Boo Will Be A judge On RUPAULS DRAG RACE...LOL!!!

Posted by: Kent Poteete | Nov 17, 2012 7:28:04 AM

22. A good piece of art will most always start controversy. I say job well done!

Posted by: Kari | Nov 17, 2012 9:34:27 AM

23. Adults who are pushing all this Honey Boo Boo stuff should know that they are probably guaranteeing that she will be one f*cked up adult, in need of years of therapy. Let this child be a child!!!

Posted by: andrew | Nov 17, 2012 5:50:00 PM

24. awesome compilation

Posted by: william | Nov 17, 2012 8:22:34 PM

25. I like the idea. Thanks, you have such a power of inspiration.

Posted by: Tenerife holiday homes | Nov 20, 2012 3:59:00 AM