Kevin Clash | News | Sesame Street

Elmo Voice Actor Kevin Clash's Accuser Recants Underage Sex Abuse Allegations

The man accusing Kevin Clash, the voice of Sesame Street's Elmo, of inappropriate sexual contact when he was 16, has recanted those allegations, TMZ reports:

2_clashThe accuser's lawyer just released a statement saying, "[The accuser] wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr. Clash was an adult consensual relationship. [The accuser] will have no further comment."

It's unclear why the accuser suddenly changed his story ... but sources close to the situation tell TMZ ... the accuser's attorney had been meeting with Clash's attorney as recent as an hour ago, discussing a financial settlement and 6-figures were on the table.

Said Clash in a statement: "I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest. I will not discuss it further."

Comments

1. Pisses me off. When I first heard this story, I immediately thought, "money". And I knew that there would be so many people that would immediately believe the accusation.

It sucks that the accuser can make a false claim like this and not have any repercussions.

Posted by: Michael | Nov 13, 2012 6:20:27 PM

2. And here's a reality about actual victims of abuse - they don't want money. they want justice.

this is not a surprise. shameful.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 13, 2012 6:21:29 PM

3. Very sad situation. I also wouldn't be surprised if the fact Mr. Clash didn't come out until yesterday was being used against him in a blackmailing manner. And that angle went away with Mr. Clash came out.

Regardless, hopefully this story gets put to bed quickly.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 13, 2012 6:22:54 PM

4. Sixteen is the age of consent in many states

Posted by: rick scatorum | Nov 13, 2012 6:28:18 PM

5. I always thought Kevin was a sexy guy but now I can see he's the usual self hating gay man who is only into young twinks. Disappointing.

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 13, 2012 6:28:58 PM

6. @ Icebloo, you're making a lot of assumptions there.

Posted by: Mick | Nov 13, 2012 6:37:18 PM

7. Very Micheal Jackson sounding...underage boys, Peter Pan queen, money pay off, accuser goes away...ghouls are a given

Posted by: THRILLER | Nov 13, 2012 6:50:35 PM

8. Kevin Clash is bi. He married a woman and has a son.

Posted by: Javier | Nov 13, 2012 6:56:37 PM

9. cant believe you would even print the unsubstantiated gossip in the second paragraph. what is this the national enquirer?

Posted by: jim | Nov 13, 2012 6:57:19 PM

10. RAPED...! I was RAPED! I was RAPED, RAPED, RAPED, RAPED, R A P E D...!

....ah, naw, never mind.

Posted by: Terrance | Nov 13, 2012 7:44:15 PM

11. Hush money doesn't change the fact that it happen and its wrong, sad ...

Posted by: MArk | Nov 13, 2012 8:03:50 PM

12. What I would like to know is why the accuser is allowed to remain anonymous after recanting his story. He's admitted that he wasn't a minor when sexually involved with Clash, so his name should be released as he's an adult. It's only fair, after dragging Clash's name through the mud,

Posted by: Keith | Nov 13, 2012 8:04:27 PM

13. Something is strange about this whole thing. As someone mentioned earlier, by and large, victims of abuse want justice, not money. At the same time though, people falsely accused of sexual misconduct, particularly with minors, want their names cleared. While the report of a financial agreement between the two parties is not confirmed (and probably will never be due to no publicity clauses in a settlement agreement of that nature), it seems extremely odd that either party would agree to a settlement, particularly Mr. Clash. Perhaps the accuser was lying and was only seeking money, but a financial settlement makes me wonder if the allegations are true or if Mr. Clash was worried about something else coming to light.

Posted by: John | Nov 13, 2012 8:09:30 PM

14. @Javier: what does marrying and having children have to do with being straight, gay, or bi? For whatever it's worth, he has self-identified as gay.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 13, 2012 8:40:17 PM

15. The kid was paid off. His allegations were true, but this is what he wanted all along. Money. He enjoyed it at the time, and didn't want to miss it now. So he used his being underage in the beginning to ensure a fluid future for himself. Pity. Work for your money, and don't stain other people's hard work just because you can make a living out of THAT! Nasty.

Posted by: Flip | Nov 13, 2012 9:20:58 PM

16. I hope when I'm in my 50's, I don't have that attraction to 18 year olds. Guys that do seem to get in trouble.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 13, 2012 9:40:08 PM

17. Actually a lot of it can be about money. Because of stupid age of consent laws, after all, and being a pretty boy who can attract wealthy older guys. If you're a desperate idiot hitting your 20s and know someone with money and have no self-respect, why not? Aside from decency. It's poor judgment on both sides.

Apparently I could have made a bunch of money with such threats. But I take my decisions into my hands, and always have. And that was a long time ago, and I cannot imagine sleeping with someone half my age.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 13, 2012 9:41:25 PM

18. The fact that the accuser recants his story actaully makes the whole situation worse in my opinion. It shows that Clash has no balls to admit the truth and the "victim" is sleazy enough to be willing to be paid off to shut up.

Posted by: acevedo | Nov 13, 2012 11:03:15 PM

19. Another GOP nut that thinks PBS needs to go away.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Nov 13, 2012 11:18:41 PM

20. Kevin Clash is bi. He married a woman and has a son.

@Javier: You're wrong on pretty much all points in that sentence. He's gay, is divorced and has a daughter.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 13, 2012 11:56:39 PM

21. I hate Obama. Being a president, he is supporting for transgender marriages.

Posted by: Agreement Samples | Nov 14, 2012 2:51:08 AM

22. Laws and money aside, there is NO good outcome for a 50 something man to be sleeping with a teen. I don't care if he's "legal" or not, they are in very different places in life and a sexual relationship is bad for both involved.

Posted by: Isaak | Nov 14, 2012 3:27:13 AM

23. This was pure media "character assassination", particularly in part by TMZ. They didn't use real bullets, but it killed the famed career of Kevin Clash. My heart goes out to Mr. Clash, however he left himself open by allowing this association to start with someone at such an early age. I guess even though this is the 21st century... these kind of affairs happen. He'll find OUT soon who his real friends are, and I hope they support him in his time of need.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | Nov 14, 2012 8:16:49 AM

24. Well no more voicing Elmo.Stick a fork in him he is done.3 2 1 calls for boycott are coming.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 14, 2012 9:46:34 AM

25. Sadly, it does not matter at this point if the accusations are true or not. His career has been irreversibly damaged. I try not to be too judgmental when I hear of a relationships between an older & younger person, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt when both (now) claim that the relationship happened between "consenting adults."

The thing that makes me feel the worse is that we've sort of lost a fantastic gay friend, someone who could have bridged a gap and changed a few minds. "Every kids' favorite Muppet is voiced by a gay guy!?" I actually had no idea myself, and I'm sure Clash's orientation surprised many others. Instead of it being terrific news, he's been outed with a sleazy sex scandal, no doubt confirming suspicions in some peoples' minds about the nature of ALL gay men. A really sad situation for everyone involved.

Posted by: KiKi | Nov 14, 2012 10:41:50 AM