Elmo Voice Actor Kevin Clash’s Accuser Recants Underage Sex Abuse Allegations

The man accusing Kevin Clash, the voice of Sesame Street's Elmo, of inappropriate sexual contact when he was 16, has recanted those allegations, TMZ reports:

2_clashThe accuser's lawyer just released a statement saying, "[The accuser] wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr. Clash was an adult consensual relationship. [The accuser] will have no further comment."

It's unclear why the accuser suddenly changed his story … but sources close to the situation tell TMZ … the accuser's attorney had been meeting with Clash's attorney as recent as an hour ago, discussing a financial settlement and 6-figures were on the table.

Said Clash in a statement: "I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest. I will not discuss it further."

Comments

1. Michael says

Pisses me off. When I first heard this story, I immediately thought, “money”. And I knew that there would be so many people that would immediately believe the accusation.

It sucks that the accuser can make a false claim like this and not have any repercussions.

2. Francis says

Very sad situation. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the fact Mr. Clash didn’t come out until yesterday was being used against him in a blackmailing manner. And that angle went away with Mr. Clash came out.

Regardless, hopefully this story gets put to bed quickly.

3. Icebloo says

I always thought Kevin was a sexy guy but now I can see he’s the usual self hating gay man who is only into young twinks. Disappointing.

4. THRILLER says

Very Micheal Jackson sounding…underage boys, Peter Pan queen, money pay off, accuser goes away…ghouls are a given

5. jim says

cant believe you would even print the unsubstantiated gossip in the second paragraph. what is this the national enquirer?

6. Terrance says

RAPED…! I was RAPED! I was RAPED, RAPED, RAPED, RAPED, R A P E D…!

….ah, naw, never mind.

7. Keith says

What I would like to know is why the accuser is allowed to remain anonymous after recanting his story. He’s admitted that he wasn’t a minor when sexually involved with Clash, so his name should be released as he’s an adult. It’s only fair, after dragging Clash’s name through the mud,

8. John says

Something is strange about this whole thing. As someone mentioned earlier, by and large, victims of abuse want justice, not money. At the same time though, people falsely accused of sexual misconduct, particularly with minors, want their names cleared. While the report of a financial agreement between the two parties is not confirmed (and probably will never be due to no publicity clauses in a settlement agreement of that nature), it seems extremely odd that either party would agree to a settlement, particularly Mr. Clash. Perhaps the accuser was lying and was only seeking money, but a financial settlement makes me wonder if the allegations are true or if Mr. Clash was worried about something else coming to light.

9. Diogenes Arktos says

@Javier: what does marrying and having children have to do with being straight, gay, or bi? For whatever it’s worth, he has self-identified as gay.

10. Flip says

The kid was paid off. His allegations were true, but this is what he wanted all along. Money. He enjoyed it at the time, and didn’t want to miss it now. So he used his being underage in the beginning to ensure a fluid future for himself. Pity. Work for your money, and don’t stain other people’s hard work just because you can make a living out of THAT! Nasty.

11. Billy says

I hope when I’m in my 50’s, I don’t have that attraction to 18 year olds. Guys that do seem to get in trouble.

12. Paul R says

Actually a lot of it can be about money. Because of stupid age of consent laws, after all, and being a pretty boy who can attract wealthy older guys. If you’re a desperate idiot hitting your 20s and know someone with money and have no self-respect, why not? Aside from decency. It’s poor judgment on both sides.

Apparently I could have made a bunch of money with such threats. But I take my decisions into my hands, and always have. And that was a long time ago, and I cannot imagine sleeping with someone half my age.

13. acevedo says

The fact that the accuser recants his story actaully makes the whole situation worse in my opinion. It shows that Clash has no balls to admit the truth and the “victim” is sleazy enough to be willing to be paid off to shut up.

14. GregV says

Kevin Clash is bi. He married a woman and has a son.

@Javier: You’re wrong on pretty much all points in that sentence. He’s gay, is divorced and has a daughter.

15. Isaak says

Laws and money aside, there is NO good outcome for a 50 something man to be sleeping with a teen. I don’t care if he’s “legal” or not, they are in very different places in life and a sexual relationship is bad for both involved.

16. says

This was pure media “character assassination”, particularly in part by TMZ. They didn’t use real bullets, but it killed the famed career of Kevin Clash. My heart goes out to Mr. Clash, however he left himself open by allowing this association to start with someone at such an early age. I guess even though this is the 21st century… these kind of affairs happen. He’ll find OUT soon who his real friends are, and I hope they support him in his time of need.

17. KiKi says

Sadly, it does not matter at this point if the accusations are true or not. His career has been irreversibly damaged. I try not to be too judgmental when I hear of a relationships between an older & younger person, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt when both (now) claim that the relationship happened between “consenting adults.”

The thing that makes me feel the worse is that we’ve sort of lost a fantastic gay friend, someone who could have bridged a gap and changed a few minds. “Every kids’ favorite Muppet is voiced by a gay guy!?” I actually had no idea myself, and I’m sure Clash’s orientation surprised many others. Instead of it being terrific news, he’s been outed with a sleazy sex scandal, no doubt confirming suspicions in some peoples’ minds about the nature of ALL gay men. A really sad situation for everyone involved.

18. Stephen says

I think the 2nd paragraph is misleading and probably won’t be substantiated. Producers of Sesame Street had already stated that after interviewing the accuser twice they felt his accusations were unfounded.

19. ratbastard says

Money? You bet the ‘kid’ probably had that in mind, but who says it didn’t occur as originally told and he simply wasn’t paid off? That’s just as probable. And if he made a false charge, will he be prosecuted? Everybody reading this knows we only have a bullsh*t version[s] of the story.

16 is the age of consent in most states, but that’s as long as there isn’t a 2 years age difference, not between a guy in his mid 40s and 16 year old boy or girl.

20. ratbastard says

The BBC didn’t do anything about one of their biggest stars, a children’s TV host no less, for many decades. It was an open secret what he was up to, and they ignored it, even enabled him continued easy access to children. Turns out this guy was a real sociopathic freak into all kinds of paraphilic sexual activity aside from pedophilia, including necrophilia. Just the rumors about him had been around for decades, yet the BBC, police, etc., did nothing except interview him a few times.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the producers of Sesame Street would look the other way. Religious institutions, academia from early childhood through HS and even college, youth sports leagues, etc., have been ‘looking the other way’ for a LONG, LONG time. $$$ talks.

21. Dr Ebing-Krafft says

As a gay man who had multiple male perpetrators, no amount of cash would help. All I wanted was that they faced up to what they had done and lived the rest of their lives conscious of their devastation to mine. Just like Sandusky, they never believed they did anything wrong:(

Yes, I intentionally switched the hyphenated name.

22. RJS says

Whether or not Kevin Clash is guilty is somewhat irrelevant. His accuser is now 23, correct? That means he has let this go unreported for seven years.

Without evidence of a relationship when the accuser was 16, whether it be unbiased witnesses, email/phone records, physical evidence, etc., is is his word vs the accused.

Or are we so quick to judge and convict “without a shadow of a doubt”?

When it comes to the accuser’s actions of accusing, recanting, and recanting his recant… there are quite a few shadows here.