Fashion Men | Models | News

Meet Casey Legler, a Woman Working as a Male Model: VIDEO

Legler

TIME profiles Casey Legler:

Legler landed the modeling gig this summer when her friend, the photographer Cass Bird, invited her at the last minute to participate in the role of a man for a photo shoot for Muse magazine. The photos were shared with an agent at Ford Models, and the next day, Legler was invited to sign a contract to work exclusively from their male roster.

“This is a unique little moment that fashion is allowing to have happen,” Legler says.

Watch Legler talk about her gig, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Awesome.

Posted by: chuy | Nov 21, 2012 12:59:39 PM

2. I mean no offense to her, and I think it's mildly funny. But she doesn't look remotely like a man to me, and I love androgyny. I think that her friend and agent might be just be doing this to get attention.

Who cares. Someone attractive.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 21, 2012 1:03:06 PM

3. Dude looks like a lady...

Posted by: Ginway | Nov 21, 2012 1:15:44 PM

4. But she is rather pretty. Doesn't look like a man, but she has a great, athletic beauty about her.

Posted by: Ginway | Nov 21, 2012 1:16:18 PM

5. she's adorable in any case!!

Posted by: topher | Nov 21, 2012 1:22:44 PM

6. "I've been taught by some of the best queens how to rock a pair of heels."

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 21, 2012 1:28:57 PM

7. She has a 'handsome' face; but I can't even see her as an androgynous male European model....she still looks like a woman--the body language, the way she sits, etc.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Nov 21, 2012 1:30:31 PM

8. She looks like a woman with short hair and pants... Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I am in no way attracted to her, because she is obviously female, and looks female in all the photos.

Posted by: Quest | Nov 21, 2012 1:31:06 PM

9. Meh, I could tell that was a lady... I've seen really androgynous ladies of every build and race, but she's not that great compared to them. Good for her though!!

Posted by: Shaunie | Nov 21, 2012 2:22:52 PM

10. This says more about how feminine the average male model looks these days than how masculine she looks.

Posted by: Petes | Nov 21, 2012 2:31:17 PM

11. The bulk of the comments seem to be "But I can tell that she is female." I don't think the point of her story, or why Ford books her, is that people would be lead to believe that she is genetically male. She is modelling men's clothing.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 21, 2012 2:31:30 PM

12. she's cool as hell

Posted by: gomez | Nov 21, 2012 2:38:36 PM

13. I guess Andy Towle thinks that this is a story of interest to lesbian and gay readers because lesbians are women who want to be seen as men. Why is Towleroad promoting 1950s stereotypes? Andy, if you want to lose the few lesbian readers you have, keep it up.

Posted by: Beth | Nov 21, 2012 2:43:11 PM

14. Uh, IS she a lesbian? This story is being reported all across the LGBT media for its gender-bending interest, including exclusively lesbian sites, Beth, but I haven't seen Legler identified as a lesbian anywhere.

Either way she seems like a pretty cool person.

And she 6'2", which is very unusual.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 21, 2012 2:54:29 PM

15. I doubt they even tried to make her look convincingly male - in any case I like her looks a lot

Posted by: calcifer | Nov 21, 2012 3:11:18 PM

16. I don't know what Andy's attraction to the modeling industry is. The periodic "male model fix" posts are always a picture of waifish, primped, plastic effeteness and thus almost invariably unattractive and about as appealing as an anorexic Venezuelan drag qeen lineup. This post is no different really and as others have correctly identified, says vastly more about the cloistered and solipsistically warped image of beauty the fashion industry has cultivated and deludes itself into thinking is in any way attractive to the overwhelming majority of average everyday people. It's a creepy cult of coked up, pretentious art students who sit around getting high on the stink of their own farts while convincing themselves that everyone around them doesn't see them as the creepy, phony losers they really are.

Posted by: Blake | Nov 21, 2012 4:08:18 PM

17. So I guess Jason finally got banned?

He would have been all over this post.

Posted by: ripper | Nov 21, 2012 4:20:08 PM

18. Now I know why those poor male models look so starved and thin -- she's takin' their livelihoods away!

Posted by: DeeVee | Nov 21, 2012 4:52:26 PM

19. She isn't really supposed to look like a man. All she is doing is showing off clothing.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 21, 2012 5:11:05 PM

20. Good for her- but it makes no sense- there are plenty of male models why use a woman.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 21, 2012 5:11:57 PM

21. The main point here is androgyny and how the lines are blurred or exploited in our culture. It is important to note that she had a good friend that is in the industry or this would have never seen the light of day.

Andy often posts stories that are NOT necessarily specific to gay culture and that's OK with me and a lot of other readers of this blog.

Chill, y'all, it's the holidays.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 21, 2012 5:21:10 PM

22. She's got balls

Posted by: Ann Drahjinet | Nov 21, 2012 9:23:33 PM

23. She looks like that one dude from "Friends"

Posted by: Observer | Nov 22, 2012 3:34:15 AM

24. With most of the photos, if I saw them out of this particular context and just in a fashion magazine or whatever, I wouldn't think twice about the gender: I'd presume the person was male. Apart from that, she seems like a really cool and intelligent person and though I'm not really into women as such, I find her very attractive.

Posted by: Rio Grande | Nov 22, 2012 2:38:08 PM

25. Blake, some of us don't want to look like "average everyday people." Some of us want to look different.

But it's really great that you managed to insult Venezuelans, drag queens, and art students. It really makes you sound mature.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 22, 2012 2:54:40 PM