2012 Election | Barack Obama | Mitt Romney | News | Rachel Maddow | Stephen Colbert

BigGayDeal.com

Stephen Colbert Grills Rachel Maddow About The Election and Her 'Conservative Dream-Killing Machine': VIDEO

Maddow_colbert

Stephen Colbert asks Rachel Maddow why FOX News seemed more freaked out by Obama's win than MSNBC seemed elated.

Says Maddow: "I think the difference between the two sides is that the Right talked themselves into the idea that it was going to be a Romney landslide based on - I don't know. Gut. Feelings. Karl Rove was saying, 'Yes I see the polls but I also see the enthusiastic crowds and based on the enthusiastic crowds I'm sure that Romney is going to win.' Turned out it was a bad way to predict the election."

The two hosts also discuss the relationship between gay people and hurricanes.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I was feeling compelled to send Rachel Maddow a bunch of flowers, too. But, something tells me her office is swimming in them right now...

Posted by: Marcito | Nov 9, 2012 9:31:08 AM

2. Hilarious! Love ya Rachel!

Posted by: EchtKultig | Nov 9, 2012 9:32:09 AM

3. Kind of can't stand her show, but she was charming in this video.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 9, 2012 9:54:35 AM

4. Two of my my favorite media "personalities." Both of them are incredibly smart and very funny.

To my dying day I'll remember Stephen Colbert's speech at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2006. If you remember, up until that point George W Bush had been kept in an adoring bubble and NOBODY was criticizing him, at least in the media. He was holding "town halls" across the country but the crowds were vetted beforehand for Republican ideological purity. Wearing a shirt that criticized him or his policies would get you booted out. Criticizing Bush was tantamount to treason.

Colbert's show was fairly new and a lot of people on the Right still hadn't gotten the joke, that he wasn't actually conservative, he was mocking conservative pundits. So they invited him to be the main speaker at the WHCD, where he proceeded to lay waste to George Bush AND the media that enabled him in a blistering monologue while standing only a few feet away from George W Bush.

I don't know, maybe it's coincidence, but right after that is when the media FINALLY stopped kissing Bush's @ss. It was like a dam burst and I'll always credit Colbert for making it happen.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 9, 2012 10:14:09 AM

5. @Caliban I too remember the Colbert's speech at the 2006 Correspondent's dinner. It was a wonderful subversive performance, and I loved the uncomfortable looks on everyone's faces -- not just George's and Laura's, but on the attendees. They knew that Colbert was speaking truth to power in a way that very few of them had ever done.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Nov 9, 2012 10:25:07 AM

6. It's just incredible. The jubilation doesn't stop...no matter what I tune into. I have never felt such non-stop elation - except when I was in love...oh, wait...

Posted by: Geoff | Nov 9, 2012 10:30:22 AM

7. Love the picture behind them. Where did that come from?

Posted by: jleo71 | Nov 9, 2012 10:30:55 AM

8. Very funny. What is keeping me from gloating is the large number of votes Romney actually got. And a tape in my mind of how bad I felt when W got re-elected and also when Prop 8 got passed. But inside I am very happy the election went the way it did.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Nov 9, 2012 10:42:37 AM

9. @jleo71, that's a backdrop Colbert frequently uses. It's a photo-manipulation of Central Park with a giant C-for-Colbert shaped lake. One of the running jokes is Colbert is so egotistical he puts his name or initial on everything. His desk is C-shaped, etc.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 9, 2012 10:43:26 AM

10. Gay people cause hurricanes. We are a force of nature, yes.

Of nature.

Great joke.

Posted by: benjamin | Nov 9, 2012 12:27:15 PM

11. @Benjamin: Colbert had a much more detailed theory at the time of the Repulican National Convention. You can find a link here on TR. I'll just say it begins with hot, steamy gay sex...

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 9, 2012 12:48:08 PM

12. It wasn't JUST the enthusiastic crowds. It makes them sound crazy if you claim that they based their hopes exclusively on the crowds. It was also the yard signs. Don't forget about the YARD SIGNS!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 9, 2012 1:14:36 PM

13. If only they would have a love child! I'm pretty sure Steve would give it a try. Rachel maybe not so much. Maybe after many drinks.

Posted by: Lovely couple | Nov 9, 2012 1:59:50 PM

14. Colbert had a great week. His tearful opening post-election was a classic send-up of the entire TeaParty/GOP (under)world and Willard's team in particular.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Nov 9, 2012 9:31:10 PM

15. Although he can sometimes be a horse's a**, to his credit the other person who stood up to Bush was Dana Milbank of the Washington Post. As I recall the height of the Bush-fauning was in 2002-2003, and Milbank - alone among the MSM - actually dared to be snarky to Karl Rove and the Bush Administration. In Milbank's case I think it's just part of his personality to be sarcastic, he can't help himself. And I think he wedged his foot firmly in his mouth by defending the Family Research Council against the SPLC's designation as a hate group. But, give credit where it's due.

Posted by: BZ | Nov 10, 2012 3:21:25 AM

16. Its really endearing to see Rachel turn into a giggly little girl in response to Colbert's humor.

Posted by: Dennis | Nov 10, 2012 11:17:06 AM

17. always love rachel maddow!

Posted by: william | Nov 10, 2012 11:37:56 PM