2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

The Moment of Victory Against Minnesota's Anti-Gay Amendment: VIDEO

Victory

Here's the stress, and the exhaustion, and the anticipation, and the worry, and the euphoric joy of a victory wrapped up in a single video.

At 1:45 a.m., Campaign Manager Richard Carlbom of Minnesotans United for All Families announced to campaign staff and board members that the vote on the proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in Minnesota was too close to call. As he was about to end his remarks and tell everyone to get some sleep, the news came that the Associated Press had confirmed the defeat of the amendment.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. love it!

Posted by: Dan Mc | Nov 7, 2012 8:40:55 PM

2. I cried last night when we heard the news, and I cried again today watching these wonderful warriors erupting in joy. So proud of my fellow Minnesotans today.

Posted by: David | Nov 7, 2012 8:52:31 PM

3. Reassuring.

I don't think enough people (hetero and GLBT) realize just HOW incredibly stressful these votes are to those who have been traumatized by the events that occur when no protections are legally available, such as not seeing your mother before she dies, becoming homeless, losing your adopted child, developing PTSD, etc.

Since our brain is an organ, when we talk of MENTAL health we are also talking about PHYSICAL health, and these anti-equality campaigns are literally killing us.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Nov 7, 2012 9:03:17 PM

4. Best birthday present ever.

Posted by: bkmn | Nov 7, 2012 9:42:56 PM

5. Love this video. Thanks, Andy. The happiness just keeps rolling in today.

Posted by: LHN | Nov 7, 2012 9:48:59 PM

6. So many friends, lovers, family who I wish were here to see this happen. It does get easier!

Posted by: Lifesart | Nov 7, 2012 9:54:12 PM

7. True words, John. My relatives and straight friends can, and some do express sympathy with our situations, but don't really feel empathy and cannot truly understand how exhausting it can be to have, in the back of your mind, that so much of what we have earned for our lives can be taken simply because we are less than equal. Got to keep trying!

Posted by: Curt | Nov 7, 2012 10:01:56 PM

8. i put in 6 months into the campaign against prop 8 and was devastated when it passed. it left me with so many doubts and regrets for not doing more. i am so happy for MN. so happy we are moving forward.

Posted by: io | Nov 7, 2012 10:18:34 PM

9. I didn't think I would choke up but when I heard the cheers and saw how happy everyone was, I got all misty.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 7, 2012 10:19:17 PM

10. So great, thank you for all you did.

Posted by: Rafael | Nov 7, 2012 10:21:52 PM

11. This was one of the best videos EVER.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Nov 7, 2012 10:29:47 PM

12. @IO, If the Supreme Court denies the Prop 8 case, then Prop 8 may be gone by Cyber Monday!

Posted by: Anthony | Nov 7, 2012 10:30:32 PM

13. OK - I'm crying, now.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 7, 2012 10:31:11 PM

14. Awesome!

The timing of the video is perfect, with all of them hopeful but stuck in limbo, having to walk away without knowing, mentally stuck there, then sudden knowledge it's over- they won.

Congratulations to all of them, Minnesota, and all of us because it means something to gay people everywhere.

But this stuff takes so much out of all of us, having our rights held hostage to the opinions of others, their religious beliefs, when and where they were born. It isn't supposed to be this way. Time and time again our rights have been affirmed by elected officials and judges, even those appointed by Republicans, which difficult as THAT is to deal with is supposed to be how it works. Never the majority deciding on the rights of a minority.

Don't get me wrong. Nov 6th was a great day, with many great things happening. But it isn't supposed to be this way and I'm wrung out. But that's the way it IS, so time to gut up again and keep going.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 7, 2012 10:53:42 PM

15. What a WONDERFUL video ! It sends shivers down my spine. GREAT GREAT NEWS ! Well done to everyone gay or straight who worked so hard to defeat the hate !

Watch out NOM - we're coming for you !

Posted by: Icebloo | Nov 7, 2012 11:22:40 PM

16. I cried when I heard Obama won last night, I cried when I saw the amendment results this morning and I cried at the rally at the capitol tonight. I think I'm in an emotional post campaign delirium. We're all so tired and happy after these fights. Minnesota had a lot going on thie year. We were constantly calling and door knocking, but it was worth it. Next step is to get the law repealed. We are so close. I'm so hopeful for my GLBT friends.

Posted by: Serena | Nov 8, 2012 12:28:32 AM

17. I wonder when exactly he found out the good news lol.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Nov 8, 2012 1:41:22 AM

18. LOVE THIS!

Posted by: Cali Mike | Nov 8, 2012 2:20:38 AM

19. Shared this on my facebook page and all my friends are loving every bit of it. Sooo great for our community to work so well together!

Posted by: Art Smith | Nov 8, 2012 2:21:12 AM

20. A special shout out to all LGBT who are out, who are open, who care about their equality and who've done things to attain equality for us all. Things, be they large or small. Whether it's volunteer with LGBT organizations, or simply having a CONVERSATION with a family member, friend and coworker about our concerns and issues as a community--- it was a group effort. We are winning. We have reason to be proud today.

Posted by: PhotoZ | Nov 8, 2012 2:22:45 AM

21. For a group (GLBT) who've been shunned, rejected, hurt, and often kicked out of our homes or churches....boy do we get things done! Not only did we come together and make change happen, more so than any other movement in recent memory, our movement has seen the fastest growing form of success. It's as a direct result of the heart and amazing tenacity of our people. Keep on fightings guys and gals and make change happen not only for us but for future generations of GLBT.

Posted by: Amir H. | Nov 8, 2012 2:30:32 AM

22. A great testimony and tribute to all those GLBT people who have suffered discrimination, harassment, bullying , being passed over, belittled, and those who have grown to be proud, who have started out small and expanded their self worth into these wonderful supporters we see in the vid.
    Congratulation to all.....your enthusiasm is infectious......and most of all, THANK YOU.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 8, 2012 3:09:56 AM

23. not gonna cry - not gonna cry - not gonna cry

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 8, 2012 4:20:26 AM

24. The Associated Press had confirmed the defeat of the amendment.

Posted by: Bo Schaefer | Nov 8, 2012 4:44:38 AM

25. Wonderful, wonderful news. Hate lost on 11/6. Hate lost. :)

Posted by: millerbeach | Nov 8, 2012 5:35:47 AM