Nate Silver | News

Nate Silver Talks About Being Gay

Silver

From a profile in The Guardian:

It turns out that what he calls his "dorkiness" is actually the secret to his powers. "I've always felt like something of an outsider. I've always had friends, but I've always come from an outside point of view. I think that's important. If you grow up gay, or in a household that's agnostic, when most people are religious, then from the get-go, you are saying that there are things that the majority of society believes that I don't believe."

Comments

1. Is he taken? I have a thing for nerdy guys.

Posted by: SteveS | Nov 19, 2012 10:22:06 AM

2. A great insight about the power of diversity and difference...

Posted by: kit | Nov 19, 2012 10:32:00 AM

3. While others might not find Nate "hot" in the typical way that most people define hot....I happen to find him SUPER HOT! I'm just like Steves who posted above....I REALLY have a thing for nerdy guys. I seriously would like to make out with him....and then MORE.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 19, 2012 11:05:56 AM

4. He is taken. His boyfriend is very nice.

Posted by: Mona | Nov 19, 2012 11:08:11 AM

5. My gay Jew was David Rakoff (RIP) but I will take him.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 19, 2012 11:10:41 AM

6. I read this article yesterday, and when Silver was asked which contributed more to his being an outsider, being a 'math geek' or being gay, he said being a math geek because it presented earlier. By the time he realized he was gay he was already an outsider due to his 'geekiness.' Kind of interesting, I thought.

He's also quite humble about his accomplishments, pointing out that others use the same (more or less) system he does and were equally accurate. He's just the one who's getting all the attention.

To me, the best thing about all this is it's a triumph of facts, science, and reason over punditry and "gut feelings." The GOP is dismissive and derisive of science, pooh-poohing global warming, evolution, and the biological origins of homosexuality in favor of "well the BIBLE says...!" And Silver (and others) just shoved science straight up their keister. Bravo!

FWIW, the group Anonymous has claimed they prevented Karl Rove from hacking the election results in 3 states, which is why Rove had a meltdown when Ohio was called for Obama. He'd promised his backers it was taken care of, the election was fixed. I don't know if it's true, but it deserves more attention. All the polling data in the world is meaningless if elections are rigged.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 19, 2012 11:13:45 AM

7. Rove could have told the money men anything to earn a check. However, all the polling in the world was showing Ohio going for Obama.

Posted by: anon | Nov 19, 2012 11:52:29 AM

8. Cool, I never knew he was even gay. He makes a great point there.

Posted by: Lucas H | Nov 19, 2012 11:52:39 AM

9. I agree with Caliban: The best thing about Silver's accomplishments is that they represent a "triumph of facts, science and reason..." In short, it's a triumph of knowledge based on observed reality (as oppossed to knowledge based on one's faith or subjective feelings), which has become so greatly devalued in America, particularly by all the manifestations of the political right.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Nov 19, 2012 12:25:44 PM

10. until I read it here I didn't know he was gay. that is a good sign. after seeing him interviewed so many times the focus was on his poll crunching skills and not his pole munching skills. It never came up and it shouldn't have. It just doesn't matter unless you're about to ask him out.

Posted by: terry | Nov 19, 2012 12:28:40 PM

11. My gaydar had forecast a 64.16% chance that he was gay. I win. Can I have a book deal now?

Posted by: neonzx | Nov 19, 2012 2:13:26 PM

12. in my book Silver gets the Gold. Smart guys often win .... we may have found our new Steve Jobs!

Posted by: David B. | Nov 19, 2012 2:39:46 PM

13. Another great story about Silver with a great picture of him and an ex-bf in the comments:
    source: comments to http://americablog.com/2012/11/nate-silver-is-gay.html

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Nov 19, 2012 3:23:03 PM

14. Gay geeks will rule the world.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 19, 2012 5:06:05 PM

15. I had NO idea he was gay! Awesome! My boyfriend is a numbers nerd just like that. Good stuff.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 19, 2012 5:31:35 PM

16. I am so happy to be on the same team as him.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 19, 2012 5:39:48 PM

17. Cool

Posted by: Billy | Nov 19, 2012 6:43:25 PM

18. Do tell, Caliban...do telL!

Posted by: Kissyfur | Nov 19, 2012 10:05:29 PM

19. Can't stop laughing: turns out Dean Chambers was right all along. And he was TROUNCED by "a thin and effeminate man."

Posted by: Keppler | Nov 19, 2012 11:40:47 PM

20. I'm mildly confused that people didn't know that he's gay given that it comes up in almost every article about him. I was getting a bit annoyed about it until I stopped caring.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 20, 2012 11:42:07 AM