Alabama | Mallory Owens | News

BigGayDeal.com

Alabama Lesbian Mallory Owens Releases Statement About Brutal Thanksgiving Attack, Says She Fears for Her Life

M_owens

Mallory Owens, the Alabama woman who was attacked on Thanksgiving Day has released a statement through GLAAD regarding the attack in an effort to clarify media reports:

HatecrimeOfficial Statement from Mallory Owens and Family

I am represented by attorney Christine Hernandez. I am supported by my family, friends, several organizations including Equality Alabama and GLAAD as well as numerous other indviduals who have offered a multitude of support to myself and my family including all of those that have donated to help me with my medical expenses. For all of you that have supported me, I am very grateful.

The last week has been the most traumatic several days I have ever experienced, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Not just for me, but for my family as well. Fortunately, we are a strong family, and we are sticking together as a family.  On Thanksgiving Day, I visited the Hawkins’ home, the family home of my girlfriend Ally Hawkins. As I was leaving, I was brutally attacked by Travis Hawkins Jr., Ally’s brother. I believe that he intended to kill me. I was defenseless against him. This was not the first time Travis Hawkins Jr. attacked me and sent me to the hospital.

CONTINUED, AFTER THE JUMP...

Travis Hawkins Jr. has been charged with Assault Second Degree by the District Attorney’s office. Although, I appreciate all the efforts of the hospital and EMS staff, police, all the investigators, and District Attorney Ashley Rich, neither I nor my family agree that Assault Second Degree is the right charge. We are very hopeful and optimistic that as Ms. Rich, her offce and the police continue to investigate this crime, that the charges will be upgraded to attempted Murder. I was unconscious when the beating ended. I do not know what stopped him. I do know he has threatened to kill me before, he has attacked me with a metal pipe before, and on Thanksgiving Day he launched an unprovoked attack on me that left me unconscious, hospitalized, suffering horrific head trauma, severe injuries and in need of surgery and additional treatment. Since the attack, Travis Hawkins Jr. has been seen following my family and appearing at locations where they have gathered. He has threatened to finish me off. I believe as long as he is free on bond that my life continues to be in danger. Even beyond the physical harm, I am quite traumatized. I am afraid and I feel that I have been victimized repeatedly by the Hawkins family.

The interview at the Hawkins home was not requested by me, nor was I aware that the media would be at the Hawkins home. I was brought back to the home by Ally Hawkins. I wanted to be in my own apartment. Mr. Hawkins Sr. insisted we give the interview and statements were made. I believe Mr. Hawkins Sr. is very manipulative, I believe he organized the family and orchestrated the media represenation to portray himself in a better light. I do not feel safe there. I was very uneasy and nervous while I was there. I was still very disoriented, weak, and intimidated. Mr. Hawkins Sr. has also threatened me with harm based on my relationship with his daughter.   Travis Hawkins Sr. threatened me with a metal pipe while I was waiting in the car on a prior occassion.  Travis Hawkins Jr. used a metal pipe to assault me on a prior occassion.  He and his son pose a very real threat. I will not go back there.

It will be a very long time before I feel safe again. This sort of attack whether it is proven to be a hate crime or a crime derived from one man’s hate of another human being should not happen to anyone in this country. No one should have to endure an attack the way that I did. Neither should a mother have to see her daughter in the state that my mom had to see me.

During this investigation, many statements were made to the media, some were premature and misguided. All of us involved have been at the center of a huge media storm. At this time, we want to let the investigation continue and we need to heal. Ally Hawkins has continued to release statements and make arbitrary facebook posts and she has even offered a motive for her brother’s actions. Please know that Ally Hawkins is NOT SPEAKING for me, she is NOT representing me in the media in any way. Her statements and public posts on facebook or any other form of social media are NOT representative of my opinions, beliefs or words.

I am fortunate that my family’s love for me is unconditional. I fell in love with a girl. My family loves, accepts and supports me. They have shown nothing but love and acceptance throughout my attack, my time in the hospital, and the investigation of this brutal attack, they have been there for me, loving me and supporting me. I want to thank and publicly show my appreciation for my mom, my brother and sister, my Uncle Ricky, Linda, my grandma. Besides the countless individuals who have offered their support financially and in words of kindness, I also want to thank organizations like Equality Alabama and GLAAD for offering their direct support to me and my family, as well as working to create a culture in Alabama where people aren’t attacked for being who they are and loving who they love. Thank you to all those who have prayed, supported and advocated for myself and my family. For those of you who pray, we ask you to continue to pray for us as we heal.

GLAAD adds: "Mallory’s hospital stay and follow up care is expensive. If you want to make a donation to help offset the costs of this brutal attack, you can do so. An account for the Benefit of Mallory Owens has been set up at Regions Bank, you can go to any location locally. GLAAD has set up an on-line donation account to help facilitate the donation process. You may go to http://www.gofundme.com/1ldc7k to help."

Comments

1. Just another Christian beating up women.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 30, 2012 10:05:25 AM

2. An account for a hitman should be set up to end this situation.

Posted by: Mykelb | Nov 30, 2012 10:12:46 AM

3. @Mykelb: Shut up, troll.

Question to Mallory: for clarity, was that previous statement of yours made up?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 30, 2012 10:20:27 AM

4. Um, why did this happen? If it wasn't a hate crime, as she insisted it wasn't, is there a particular reason to withhold the information?

Posted by: ryana44 | Nov 30, 2012 10:23:54 AM

5. This story has more twists and turns than an episode of Dynasty.

I'm glad she's not at that family's house any more.

Posted by: ripper | Nov 30, 2012 10:25:02 AM

6. Mallory-Please start taking Brasilian Jiujitsu immediately!!! You won't have to be afraid anymore, I promise.

Posted by: Camille | Nov 30, 2012 10:30:47 AM

7. I truly hope she finds a place where she can be and feel safe. And perhaps some people reading about her fears will contact her and offer such a place to stay.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 30, 2012 10:39:17 AM

8. I don't think Mallory is the one who made those previous statements. Sounds like it was the girlfriend who was "speaking" for the victim.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 30, 2012 10:51:09 AM

9. @Chris (aka Brain Surgeon / Rocket Scientist / Brightest Crayon In The Box)

Let's break this down for you. She was brutally attacked by this person, then brought back to the scene of the attack to "recuperate" with the attacker standing there while she issued a statement exonerating the attacker. You really have to ask? Also, nothing trolling about MYKELB. You however, TROLL seem to be a big anus or related to the Hawkins family.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Nov 30, 2012 10:54:52 AM

10. Mike, what makes you think this guy is a Christian? There are plenty of Christians who are very welcoming of gay people. And even among Christians who do have issues with homosexuality, many would, no doubt be horrified about what this guy did to this young woman. Please check out the facts before you make absurd generalizations.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 30, 2012 10:55:03 AM

11. @ryana44, if I'm reading her statement correctly (and I think I am) she was taken to the Hawkins home by her "girlfriend" (in quotes because she need to get the f*ck away from her) when she was still very disoriented and weak from the attack. There she felt intimidated and endangered and was confronted by the media unexpectedly. She does not stand by what she said about the attack at that time.

That family is clearly insane. The father was arrested for SHOOTING HIS SON (the one who attacked Mallory) in the past. The ONLY reason the father is not in prison now is the family closed ranks, as they are doing again now, and the son refused to testify. There have been allegations of drug use by both the father and son.

By taking her to that home to be pressured into making that previous statement Mallory's girlfriend participated in covering up this event, so has chosen her family over the person she supposedly "loves."

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 30, 2012 10:56:30 AM

12. Love and prayers for Mallory's healing and safety.

Posted by: Arrant | Nov 30, 2012 11:04:11 AM

13. Oh how nice, my comment was removed.

Posted by: James Troia | Nov 30, 2012 11:05:47 AM

14. Mallory said specifically it wasn't a hate crime and the reason that Travis attacked her "will get out".

Anyway, we need to put all that aside. At the end of the day, hate crime or no hate crime. A young woman has been attacked brutally, the animal who attacked her is walking the streets still, and the family of the animal who attacked her clearly has a deep animus against Mallory. Plus, this has been charged as a second degree assault. Mallory clearly is not safe, this incident is not being taken as serious as it should be and given this is Alabama, that isn't surprising, and Mallory needs a safe spot she and Ally can crash while she heals and the legal process is worked out.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 30, 2012 11:07:14 AM

15. Sorry, but she was attacked because SHE put herself in that situation.

When someone has attacked you before, has put you in hospital before, has threatened to kill you before, you DON'T sit down and have dinner with them, and THEN play the victim card.

Posted by: James Troia | Nov 30, 2012 11:08:56 AM

16. There is WAY more to this story. The last update on this site stated that Mallory said this was NOT a hate crime and the truth would come out. I think attorneys are guiding her through this. Yes it sucks that she took a beeting and there is no excuse for it, there is something missing.

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 30, 2012 11:15:06 AM

17. James Troia, you're a monster.

Posted by: Peter | Nov 30, 2012 11:16:09 AM

18. Yes Peter, I am like a total monster, a total monster who would NEVER put myself in a situation that could well ya know...put me in hospital AGAIN.

Posted by: James Troia | Nov 30, 2012 11:24:58 AM

19. Instead of just calling him a monster Peter, why dont you evaluate what he said. Would YOU yourself sit at the table with someone who has put you in the hospital before?

Now I dont agree with revoking sympathy of course, I feel for her. I just don't understand why she was still there. If you have such a nasty history with people, why don't you get yourself away? I sure as hell know I wouldn't be there after an attack.

In fact, I wouldn't be there simply based on the information that the father had shot the son before. Any facts like these, make me stay AWAY from people, nevermind have dinner with them.

I understand where James Troia is coming from. Mind you, I dont sit there and blame her for it, obviously. I just wonder WHY she is doing this to herself, by putting herself in close proximity.

Posted by: Draek | Nov 30, 2012 11:25:35 AM

20. Thanks Derek, and I totally agree...why would she do this to herself, why would she put herself in a hostile environment?!

Posted by: James Troia | Nov 30, 2012 11:29:10 AM

21. Do you people know a damn thing about blunt force trauma to the head? You can't take anything she said in the immediate aftermath of that attack as coming from her. I've had friends who butted heads playing ultimate Frisbee who were loopy and out of it for days.

Posted by: BGKev | Nov 30, 2012 11:38:13 AM

22. Perhaps he had smacked her in the head a few days before thanksgiving which obviously greatly impaired her judgement BGKEV.

Posted by: James Troia | Nov 30, 2012 11:46:32 AM

23. The whole situation is terrible, and my sympathies go out to Ms. Owens.

What is just as horrible is the fact that there is so much victim blaming going on. What if she was invited to the dinner as a peace offering with the family and genuinely thought that it would forge a better relationship with her girlfriend's family? None of us know the situation, but you should be damn sure that the victim is not the one who should be blamed. As far as I'm concerned, those blaming her are just as complicit in these type of attacks, as you perpetuate the culture that allows this type of brutality to go unpunished.

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 30, 2012 12:15:40 PM

24. The whole situation is terrible, and my sympathies go out to Ms. Owens.

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 30, 2012 12:15:42 PM

25. I have to agree with James and Draek on this. It is not a good idea to go anywhere near a set of people whose behavior is known to be violent and irrational and put yourself in the way of likely harm. there are undoubtedly some unrevealed twists in the story. Was Mallory coerced into being at that family love feast? Was she impaired with drugs or drink?

I certainly hope she recovers and gets far away from the whole situation.

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 30, 2012 12:20:20 PM