Comments

1. Daniel says

Poll watchers are partisan representatives of the various political parties – they can’t prevent people from voting but they CAN challenge ballots. Basically they’re training them to be dicks to anyone they think might vote for the other candidate – not exactly in the spirit of free and fair elections.
    Republicans – trying to turn the US into a 3rd world dictatorship since 1968. USA USA USA!

2. Chuck Mielke says

Has the Romney “I’ll say anything you want me to say if it’ll get me your vote” campaign ever been anything but deception? I fear he’ll win; as a Mormon, he was raised on salesmanship and emotional blackmail.

3. Caliban says

So in other words, voter intimidation.

I can’t say I’m surprised but it’s still pretty shocking. I’m hoping news cameras catch them in the act early in the day and show Ohioans what’s really going on. I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to a few “poll watchers” getting their @sses handed to them either.

4. gr8guyca says

This is sort of like the coach of a football team being allowed to put on a referee’s shirt during a game. You can say that he’s now an “independent observer”, but he’s not.

Elections should be taken out of the hands of partisans of any party. The ability of a party to control the conditions of an election is just inviting abuse.

5. Caliban says

Well, Steve B, I can think of one way you’d never have to scroll past stories “biased” toward gays and those who support us (and on a gay blog no less!) ever again.

Perhaps if you put your thinking cap on you’ll figure it out. Besides, I’m sure Free Republic would welcome your input since the GOP has such a “big tent.”

6. Icebloo says

We only have ourselves to blame. When the Republicans stole the election in Florida for Bush we all sat back and let them do it. We didn’t press politicians to charge anyone with fraud and we didn’t ask them to put anything in place to stop it happening again. That’s why it’s happening more and more each election. We have no deterrent.

THIS IS ALL OUR OWN FAULT !

7. Diogenes Arktos says

SOME poll watchers are partisan. Because the US is a member of a UN-sponsored international group of poll watchers, we are obligated to allow them to monitor our elections. Since their founding in 1990, they have been here for many elections. It’s only this year that the right-wing has raised a ruckus. (especially Texas)

8. Peggy Whited says

I signed up to be a Republican poll watcher. I greatly doubt that instructions vary significantly from state to state. What is being published in this story is false. Poll watchers are told not to interfere with voters in any way. We just report information. The only liars in this campaign are Obama and the Democrats. Just because something is in print–such as Obama ads against Romney or this story–doesn’t mean they are true.