2012 Election | News | Tammy Baldwin | Tommy Thompson | Wisconsin

Tammy Baldwin's Victory Speech After Becoming First Openly Gay U.S. Senator: VIDEO

Tammy_baldwin

As we reported last night, Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) defeated Tommy Thompson to become  the U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, and the first openly gay U.S. Senator in history.

Said Baldwin (at 3:25): "Now, I am well aware that I will have the honor to be Wisconsin's first woman U.S. Senator, and I am well aware that I will be the first openly gay member...but I did not run to make history. I ran to make a difference!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wonderful.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 7, 2012 10:32:52 AM

2. I have to admit, that moved me to tears. As a 45 year old gay man, I've seen changes to our society that I never imagined.

Posted by: michael | Nov 7, 2012 11:27:33 AM

3. Gee, look at all the "diversity" around her. Two elderly men (undoubtedly relatives) in the back among 13 women......even though 45% of male voters in Wisconsin voted for her.

So save your tears, Michael. A lesbian being elected to the Senate is not a victory for gay men, any more than it is a victory for gay men when lesbians get promoted in Corporate America and gay men do not, because lesbians do not face anywhere near the hostility that gay men do, from either men or women.

When we see an openly gay MAN elected to the Senate or as a Governor or even as Mayor of a big city, then we can say change has really occurred.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 7, 2012 12:27:04 PM

4. RICK/JASON, SHUT THE FCK UP AND TRY TO BE HAPPY SOMETIMES! My god, you're a depressing and really pathetic person.

Posted by: Shaunie | Nov 7, 2012 12:32:24 PM

5. The homophobes lost in Wisconsin and so did the misogynists. Tammy's win was a milestone, and a good one for anyone who isn't threatened by women and openly gay leaders.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 7, 2012 12:37:54 PM

6. an incredible woman, and an incredibly proud moment for all Americans who possess integrity and intelligence.

the only people upset by this win are the country's Undesirables.

ROCK ON TAMMY!!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 7, 2012 12:38:03 PM

7. Dear (p)Rick. When we didn't see you for a while, I had held out hope that you were busy seeking therapy. Perhaps the therapy failed? Try, try again!

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Nov 7, 2012 1:05:08 PM

8. How lucky Wisconsin is! I'm from Minnesota originally, but I have a conservative sister living in Eau Claire--I bet that even she voted for Tammy...

Posted by: Jim | Nov 7, 2012 1:08:16 PM

9. Are/were there closeted gay U.S. senators?

Just curious.

Posted by: Kurt | Nov 7, 2012 1:10:55 PM

10. Kurt: The first that comes to mind is Larry Craig, but then he insisted, after getting caught cruising in a men's room, that he was not gay. So, I dunno, I guess he was just a run-of-the-mill straight senator cruising for sex with men!

The other is Barbara Mikulski from Maryland. She has never come out but many claim that she is a lesbian.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Nov 7, 2012 1:24:34 PM

11. What a boost Tammy Baldwin has been for progressive values and against the party of angry old white men.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 7, 2012 1:30:46 PM

12. I've been giving money to Tammy's campaign for a couple of years now even though I live half a country away from her state.

I built that :)

Posted by: Mike Hipp | Nov 7, 2012 1:36:59 PM

13. On the question of closeted senators, it's been widely rumored that Herb Kohl, the senator that Tammy is replacing, is in the closet. He in his 70s, never married and has often been referred to as "The Dairy Queen."

Is there a count yet on the number of openly gay congressional representatives that were elected last night? I saw a few mentioned on the site. Mark Pocan, the guy replacing Tammy in congress, is an out man. Any one else?

Posted by: Mike | Nov 7, 2012 1:59:05 PM

14. I always assumed it was very much an open secret that Herb Kohl is gay. But then I moved out of Milwaukee, up north, and realized how many people had no idea. People were shocked to learn something that I think I heard in 1994.

I am thrilled Tammy won. I have always liked her, even when she didn't give me a job 12 years ago. But I must say that I never thought I would see the day when Tommy Thompson would lose an election in Wisconsin. That is what I find so impressive about this win.

Posted by: Adam | Nov 7, 2012 2:29:46 PM

15. "I am thrilled Tammy won. I have always liked her, even when she didn't give me a job 12 years ago"

Which no doubt had nothing at all to do with your gender. LOL.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 7, 2012 3:15:09 PM

16. My God, Rick. There must have been horrible woman who wronged you in your childhood. Get therapy

Posted by: Mikemike | Nov 7, 2012 3:58:02 PM

17. My God, Rick. There must have been horrible woman who wronged you in your childhood. Get therapy

Posted by: Mikemike | Nov 7, 2012 3:58:04 PM

18. rick is right - the day we see a out gay man elected to the senate you will know change has really arrived -
    i bet it is maybe 50 years off -
    about the same time we get an out gay male movie star or out gay male major sports star
    it's disingenuous or willfully ignorant to think that gay men are not far more threatening, scary and repellent to the straights than gay women-
    what's changed is that homo-hatred is now more in line with racism
    it's kept out of public display

Posted by: jw | Nov 7, 2012 9:24:14 PM

19. Brava, Tammy Baldwin!

Posted by: rhea | Nov 8, 2012 3:05:11 PM