Education | News | North Carolina

UNC-Chapel Hill To Open Gender-Neutral Dorms

UNCChapelThe University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is adopting new dorm rules to help students, particularly LGBT students, feel more comfortable in their school-provided digs.

From local ABC affiliate WWAY-3:

The board of trustees unanimously endorsed Thursday "gender-neutral" housing. Supporters of the gender non-specific housing option say the move would help students - specifically gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students - who are being harassed and bullied in traditional on-campus housing.

Students will be able to apply for the option of choosing roommates of either gender in campus suites and apartments. The university already has coed dorms but students of the opposite sex do not share rooms.

How long before the right gives this some kind of "gay agenda" spin.

Comments

1. I'm sorry but I could not bear to share a room with anybody. My room is my room. It is my private space where I can do whatever I want - including belch.

I'd rather sleep on the lawn out front than share a room with a stranger.

Posted by: jason | Nov 15, 2012 10:27:11 PM

2. We had gender neutral dorms at the University of British Columbia in the early 80s!

Posted by: Roger | Nov 15, 2012 10:40:03 PM

3. Blah blah blah I sleep on lawns blah blah blah I'm making a statement.

Posted by: JASON | Nov 15, 2012 11:43:19 PM

4. Colleges around the country have been doing this for years. I'll never underestimate the right's willingness to take an old and dead issue and try it out for a new spin, but on the whole I doubt anyone of note in the Christian right will take on this as an issue. Maybe some fringe element we can poke fun at, but that's about it.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 16, 2012 12:59:58 AM

5. This info is very useful for me! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: research paper writers | Nov 16, 2012 7:21:34 AM

6. This is also a terrific development for straight couples, who will be able to live together, if they wish, in campus housing.

Posted by: Jere | Nov 16, 2012 10:00:47 AM