Dan Savage | Gay Marriage | News | Washington

Dan Savage And Terry Miller Are Now Married In Washington: PHOTO

Savagemarriage

The moment has arrived: a decade after tying the knot in Canada, a marriage legally meaningless here in the States, author and activist Dan Savage wed Terry Miller in Washington State. And Twitter user kateleroux was there to capture the moment.

So, what now? According to Savage's Twitter, "It's time to consumate this thing." Right on.

Comments

1. Dunno about Washington State, but our 2005 marriage in Montreal was recognized and legal in New York State, even before you could actually marry here.

Posted by: Murdoch | Dec 9, 2012 5:04:14 PM

2. CONGRATULATIONS, DAN & TERRY!!!
    Since you (particularly Dan) are Nationally known figures, I hope your wedding photo is in every paper and every TV news show.
    And I am sure your son is very proud.

Posted by: Bob | Dec 9, 2012 5:08:59 PM

3. Here's to consumation !

Posted by: norseman | Dec 9, 2012 5:13:19 PM

4. Congratulations on being able to get married in Washington state!

Posted by: TerryA | Dec 9, 2012 5:29:18 PM

5. >> a marriage legally meaningless here in the States

The Canadian marriage meant something in the states that already recognized marriage equality; it was only meaningless in the states that didn't. In fact, their Washington State re-marriage is still meaningless in those states that don't, technically speaking.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Dec 9, 2012 5:33:58 PM

6. Why does anyone care if it was legally meaningless if it meant something to them?

Posted by: shawnthesheep | Dec 9, 2012 5:47:08 PM

7. They are so incredibly cute. Congratulations Terry and Dan! You are loved!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 9, 2012 6:03:24 PM

8. @ shawnthesheep "Why does anyone care if it was legally meaningless if it meant something to them?"

?? seriously? they obviously care, and i'd hope you care too! lol that's why we're doing what we're doing in that state and in many others, after all: to have something that means a lot to us also mean something legally.

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Dec 9, 2012 6:06:08 PM

9. Well, at least someone has a boyfriend who will have sex with him.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 9, 2012 6:34:02 PM

10. Congratulations to Dan & Terry!

Posted by: RJ | Dec 9, 2012 6:47:55 PM

11. Rick Santorum must be sooooo mad right now... Or jealous that he isn't getting a little Savage Love himself.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Dec 9, 2012 6:57:51 PM

12. Congratulations Dan and Terry, you are true leaders of the LGBT fight for freedom and Civil Rights, keep up the good work, may you live long happy lives together.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 9, 2012 6:59:34 PM

13. This is a great photograph and you both look so charming.
    Congratulations to you both. Be happy.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 9, 2012 7:07:51 PM

14. @ MURDOCH :

You raise an interesting subject;
    the recognition by any State of the Union, or by the Federal Government, of valid foreign marriages.

Isn't it about time the USA treated foreign
    legal decisions with respect ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 9, 2012 7:11:51 PM

15. Or treat foreign legal homosexual contracts
    with respect.....the USA already recognises foreign straight marriages for Residence purposes.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 9, 2012 7:13:43 PM

16. Ron, I don't know about Santorum, but I've always found Dan Savage adorable and occasionally fantasize about gettng a little "Savage love" from him myself. (just a fantasy - I'd never go after any married person - gay or straight.) But considering my history of past homophobia the only kind of "Savage love" Dan might want to give to me would probably be a litte too "savage", if you know what I mean!

At any rate, Congrats to Dan and Terry. If they've lasted 10 years and raised a child together they are a credit to the institution of marriage.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 9, 2012 7:18:27 PM

17. I wish Dan and Terry every happiness in the world. However, is everyone going to decide that marriages performed elsewhere that it's legal requires that they chase marriage wherever it's "legal" and get married over and over? If they move to Oregon (where gay marriages don't exist) will they feel they have to get married again if at a future time Oregon approves same sex marriage? If they were married in Canada their marriage is completely kosher in the great state of Washington. There was no need for another marriage. Some of this looks like publicity and pandering to the media. I hope that's not Dan's goal though with Dan now being a "celebrigay" I wonder sometimes.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Dec 9, 2012 7:20:20 PM

18. I can't believe Dan is wearing a suit and tie! Terry must have made him dress up for the occasion. Congrats to two of my heroes.

Posted by: Adam | Dec 9, 2012 8:36:08 PM

19. Fabulous photo!

They're both lovely -- an very loved

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 9, 2012 9:43:48 PM

20. Congratulations to Dan & Terry! A wonderful couple.

Posted by: Adam | Dec 9, 2012 10:18:35 PM

21. Oh look, they are all dressed up! For those whining with their faux outrage that "oh, the humanity" because Dan was wearing a hoodie to pick up his marriage license the other day...get a life!

Congrats to them and here is to a long and happy life together!

Posted by: MODULAR | Dec 9, 2012 10:48:22 PM

22. All the happiness to both of them.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 9, 2012 11:52:43 PM

23. I don't get this. If they were legally married in Canada, why would any state in the US that recognises same-sex marriage NOT recognise their Canadian marriage?

Posted by: Rhea | Dec 9, 2012 11:57:28 PM

24. Terry, I am so proud of you for getting Daniel out of that damned T-shirt! See? I told you you could do it! Frankly, now that I see it with my own two eyes, you should make him do it more often - Dan looks damned handsome in a suit - mrow! mrow! Now go home and consummate yourselves silly.

Posted by: Mommie Dammit | Dec 10, 2012 1:05:27 AM

25. Congratulations to Terry and Dan. I saw Dan Savage on the last segment of "Up" this morning. So articulate and spot-on about LGBT issues. Thanks, Dan, for speaking out so capably for all of us.

Posted by: a\jam | Dec 10, 2012 1:20:49 AM