Desmond tutu | News | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Desmond Tutu Calls on Uganda to Drop Anti-Homosexuality Bill

Nobel Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu spoke to reporters at a conference in Kenya today, calling on Uganda to drop its anti-homosexuality bill, RNS reports:

Tutu“I am opposed to discrimination, that is unfair discrimination, and would that I could persuade legislators in Uganda to drop their draft legislation, because I think it is totally unjust,” Tutu told reporters here on Tuesday at the All Africa Conference of Churches meeting...

...“My brothers and sisters, you stood with people who were oppressed because of their skin color. If you are going to be true to the Lord you worship, you are also going to be there for the people who are being oppressed for something they can do nothing about: their sexual orientation,” he said.

Tutu said people do not choose their sexual orientation, and would be crazy to choose homosexuality “when you expose yourself to so much hatred, even to the extent of being killed.”

The bill could be debated and voted on at any time.

Comments

1. Bravo!

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 5, 2012 1:59:35 PM

2. Excellent. The African continent needs South Africa's leadership. Support from South Africans of all races would be greatly appreciated, from South Africa's president on down.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Dec 5, 2012 2:49:46 PM

3. Thank you, Bishop Tutu. I read elsewhere that Donald Trump attended a gay wedding and found it to his liking. I wonder if I'll see that on FOX,CNN or any other television news channel.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Dec 5, 2012 3:27:17 PM

4. What a big contrast between South Africa and the other African countries. They have marriage equality while the rest of the continent is still mired in the stone age.

Posted by: simon | Dec 5, 2012 6:07:22 PM

5. Why is Ratzinger on the Vatican throne and not Tutu? It's not because of skin color.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 6, 2012 12:07:48 AM

6. I've always admired Desmond Tutu. He's always spread such common sense messages.

I am an atheist but I have to say if ANYONE was to show me the Christian way was good it would be Archbishop Desmond Tutu or Jimmy Carter. Both these men live their WHOLE lives as decent people with decent values. If only other so-called "Christians" would follow their lead.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 6, 2012 1:05:40 AM

7. @Manny. Unfortunately Desmond retired last year. Which is bad for the church but has been good for us because he's now able to speak out more.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 6, 2012 1:06:45 AM

8. @Manny: Indeed it's not because of skin colour, it's because of denomination. Tutu isn't a Catholic bishop, he's Anglican (what is called Episcopalian in America). There have actually been suggestions in the past that Tutu should be appointed Archbishop of Canterbury - that's the symbolic head of the Anglican Communion, but without direct authority like the Pope has over Catholics.

Posted by: aj | Dec 6, 2012 5:38:15 AM

9. @Icebloo: I was very disheartened when ++Desmond Tutu announced his retirement from public life, precisely for this reason. Obviously, I'm very glad he has decided to unretire.

@AJ: Thank you. The current (soon to be retired) Archbishop of Canterbury has condemned the Church of Uganda's support of the Kill-the-gays bill. I suspect he hasn't been more vocal this time around is that he's on his way out. From what I've heard about the new ABC, he will have no problem continuing that policy.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Dec 6, 2012 9:04:02 AM