EastSiders | News | Van Hansis

New Web Series 'EastSiders' Focuses on Gay Life in L.A.: VIDEO

Eastsiders

The new web series EastSiders explores the aftermath of infidelity on a gay couple in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Silver Lake.

1_eastsidersWhen Cal (Kit Williamson) finds out Thom (Van Hansis) has been cheating on him with Jeremy (Matthew McKelligon), their relationship is turned upside down. Will the lies tear them apart or are they just stubborn enough to stay together forever?

Drunken outbursts and double standards abound in this dark comedy about the sad and funny messes we make out of our lives.   Cal’s best friend Kathy (Constance Wu) is always there for him with a bottle of whiskey in her purse, but she has her own problems with her nice guy boyfriend Ian (John Halbach), even if they’re all in her head.  Stephen Guarino guest stars as a party promoter throwing one last bash before the apocalypse.

Check out the new trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Many of you will recall Hansis for his five-year turn as Luke Snyder on As the World Turns.

Williamson talked about creating the series with 'We Love Soaps':

I just noticed there weren't many stories about gay characters I could relate to in any kind of significant way. They were few and far between and gay characters were usually depicted as archetypes instead of complete human beings. I also think the neighborhood I live in (Silver Lake, east of Hollywood) has its own type of vibe and character to it that I wanted to explore. I wanted to marry these two ideas and tell a story about a couple I could relate to.

Williamson says they have written and shot three episodes, the first of which will be airing on December 14.

Eastsiders2

Comments

1. Are we seriously doing this again?

We literally just finished up with a series with almost the exact same plot line featuring once again, strictly skinny white gay guys.

The only difference is the freakin' coastline. I swear y'all are so frustrating!

Posted by: Pekemo | Dec 10, 2012 10:52:51 AM

2. Wow, an inspection of gay life in Los Angeles? What a rarely observed topic!

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 10, 2012 11:07:29 AM

3. @Pekemo Now that you've got that off your chest, go away. There are those of us who look forward to watching this.

Posted by: Vince | Dec 10, 2012 11:09:21 AM

4. PEKEMO - that's the beauty of the fact that this series was written and created by a single guy. He can make a series about his life and write/cast it accurately. It's not made by ABC or someone you can protest -- it's just a gay dude making a show about his life. Let him do it, and appreciate the fact that it's a show about a gay relationship -- I'm a total fatty and I don't give a crap that this show is about skinny guys. It's about a gay relationship, something I hardly ever get to see portrayed. That's enough.

Posted by: Billy | Dec 10, 2012 11:55:39 AM

5. Well, I'm def gonna watch, but seriously, a series called "Eastsiders" in LA and no minorities? Really?

Posted by: Joel V | Dec 10, 2012 11:57:59 AM

6. Why waste time complaining?

If this trailer / plot does not interest you, then do not watch this series.

Sure this is not the most original idea, but how often is there an original idea on television?

At least these web series are providing us with queer characters, unlike the majority of television series.

Posted by: Blake | Dec 10, 2012 12:15:29 PM

7. I agree with BILLY above in so many ways.
    I would actually like to see a different plotline, on that I am familiar with.
    Two guys have relationship
    One guy "cheats" on the other.
    One guy confronts the other, not about having sex, but about being excluded.
    Both guys talk it out ---
    Both guys have an open and loving relationship...

There is no reason that the Gay/Lesbian communities MUST follow the hetro-normal relationship paradiagm. We can find our own ways to relate --- and they don't always have to be 1-to-1.

Just my short 60-years on the planet speaking....

Posted by: daya | Dec 10, 2012 12:18:06 PM

8. I dont care bout the gay content a bit, Id watch Van Hansis eat a sandwich for 30 minutes.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Dec 10, 2012 12:21:22 PM

9. What trailer?

Posted by: Critifur | Dec 10, 2012 12:31:46 PM

10. Far beyond the original idea, isn't it the dilemma of the writer to find characters who are familiar enough that we'll like them (without making them stereotypes) but different enough to make their situation and resolution believable (without appearing superficial)?

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Dec 10, 2012 12:57:03 PM

11. OMG Van Hansis!!! I am totally watching this. He is hot!! and a great actor.

Posted by: Julia | Dec 10, 2012 1:19:47 PM

12. I can see why the religious right hates gays. All I have to do is read the comments at Towleroad and I hate gays too.

Posted by: KM | Dec 10, 2012 1:43:47 PM

13. KM: I have to agree with you, no matter the theme of the article, is bitching all the time about everything. If it's not one thing is the other, but some people are always ready to complain.

I think the series look good, and i miss Van Hansis, so if it's possible (i hope it's not one of those geoblocked shows) i will watch it

Posted by: jjose712 | Dec 10, 2012 2:23:07 PM

14. For those who bemoan about another series about gay, white guys, I'd encourage you to be more visible. What is truly frustrating is that there are not enough non-white people who are out.

Posted by: Carlos | Dec 10, 2012 3:44:53 PM

15. How nice...ANOTHER gay series with all white men in it. Because we all know there are no other races or ethnicities that are gay and could relate to gay life *roll eyes*.

Won't be watching.

Posted by: Yet again | Dec 10, 2012 4:38:40 PM

16. Carlos that's actually not the issue and I hope you dont REALLY think that. All you have to do is take a film and television class if you want to see one-sided view that's presented in that medium. I dont have it in me to complain about this show because it is what it is. Just because it follows a similar premise as other gay tv shows and films doesnt mean it's going to be bad or lacking in any way. But to your issue, again I say do your research, the issue isnt that we dont see more tv shows and films about gay men/lesbian women of color because more of them arent out.

Posted by: PJ | Dec 10, 2012 7:51:18 PM

17. I don't mind the story line so much it's just that every TV show (prime time or reality) and movie these days is based in L.A. or N.Y. It's super tedious and boring. How about Seattle or San Francisco or Chicago for example? Can Hollywood be a little bit creative?

Posted by: pizanno | Dec 10, 2012 11:51:18 PM

18. Why do we always have to portray gay as beautiful, slim, rich and white ?

I love gay content in the media but how can we complain about the media stereotyping us when we do it most of all ?

I want some real people with real looks and real bodies with real lives.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 11, 2012 12:28:58 AM

19. Oh yeah minorities will disappear, vanish puff just like that cause they aren't portrait in this show? please get a life guys! There isn't always a black man or a latina involved in a dialog. I'm a minority and I find political correctness to be flawed and unrepresentative of real life.

Posted by: @ | Dec 11, 2012 1:24:43 AM

20. PEKEMO - Grab a cam and a few friends and create your own webseries. I'll watch it. I'm enjoying the many new web shows. Some are better (IMO) than the big, overly produced shows on TV.

Posted by: JimmyD | Dec 11, 2012 8:19:42 AM

21. PEKEMO - Grab a cam and a few friends and create your own webseries. I'll watch it. I'm enjoying the many new web shows. Some are better (IMO) than the big, overly produced shows on TV.

Posted by: JimmyD | Dec 11, 2012 8:19:43 AM

22. There are LOTS of fabulous web series that have other types of characters if you bother to look beyond just what Towleroad, Queerty and AfterElton cover on their blogs.

Here's a list of excellent gay/bi web series that are not "just about skinny white or young men"

BULK
    Hustling
    Where the Bears Are
    Drama Queenz
    Chadwick Journals (spinoff of DL Chronicles)
    DTLA
    Old Dogs & New Tricks
    Gay Nerds
    It Gets Betterish
    Jack In The Box
    The Variants

I'm sure there are many more. Check out "The Deep Dish" or "I See Gay People TV" or Televisual Gay & Lesbian Web Series
    to find other series.

These producers and writers write shows about THEIR lives and THEIR experiences. I loved Hunting Season, Gossip Boy and The Outs because they are wonderfully acted, written and produced and speak to an experience with which I relate.

But I'm not only interested in series about people who are just like me and if folks actually did a tiny bit of searching, you'd find that not ALL lgbt web series are the same, not by a long shot.

If we don't support these shows (many of which are wonderful and would never be allowed on network tv) then we can't complain about the representation of lgbt characters.

Posted by: Pickles | Dec 14, 2012 5:35:10 PM

23. Thank you Pickles for telling it like it is. All that bitchy whining is so TIRED! I'd rather watch 'skinny white guys' who are represented in a vulnerable, honest and relatable manner instead of the numerous stereotypical gay characters of color portrayed in the past.

Posted by: Sammie | Dec 19, 2012 9:50:16 PM