Comments

1. dbaudit says

One of the best holiday I ever had was a stormy New Years weekend in the bay window of a victorian in the heart of the Castro reading the Tales of the City from cover to cover. The tree was still up, the fire was blazing, it was raining and all was right in my world. This brings back such great memories. Thanks Towleroad, Happy Christmas!

2. UFFDA says

This WAS a wonderful production/event. Whatever happened to Michael? I heard a talk by A. Maupin and he said he would talk about anything but Michael and was quite defensive about it when asked. So I have always wondered.

What AJ has said is probably true for a lot of us, at least it was basically encouraging.

3. bcarter3 says

Would love to see these again, but the DVDs are out of print, and, even when they were available, were heavily edited versions (despite being labeled “unedited” on Amazon).

4. m says

I too was saved by Armistead Maupin. Think I’ll have a toke when I return from taking mom to dinner with my partner of 30! years and dream of the world that was, on the hill by the bay.

5. vince says

Just enough of a tease, to get me to
    bring out the whole series for another viewing. Wish I had the DVD collection, un edited. Merry Xmas to Armistead, Chris and all the fans.

6. UFFDA says

DBAUDIT – what a great visually memorable vignette, thanks for sharing it.

ANASTASIA – maybe the books tell what happened to Michael the character, but I was commenting on the actor himself. Maupin understood that when I asked him, but defensively refused to answer. I still want to know…he was so good, and so sympathetic, that I have always thought he could have had a larger acting career in front of him, but I have never seen him since.

Oh yes…Merry Christmas to all this Christmas Eve.

7. Diogenes Arktos says

I can still remember discovering “Tales of the City” when it first came out and waiting with bated breath for each succeeding volume. I have truly loved the series. Thanks, TR, for brightening my Christmas.

@Uffda – I’m assuming you are referring to the fact that the next series had a different Michael. I have also wondered that. However, I don’t remember hearing any explanation. I liked the first Michael better, but wished he had had a moustache to follow the book.

8. Prof Sancho Panza says

There are multiple rumors about why Marcus d’Amico didn’t return in the role. I’ve heard on one hand that Maupin was displeased about d’Amico not wanting to come out of the closet, and on the other that d’Amico wasn’t comfortable playing some of Michael’s “gayer” scenes.

Interestingly, however, Maupin linked to this post today for a Facebook Christmas greeting:
    “Christmas Eve with Laura Linney, Olympia Dukakis, Parker Posey, Billy Campbell, Paul Gross, Thomas Gibson, Chloe Webb and Father Guido Sarducci. Here’s wishing my FB friends a cosy yule with high hearts and low expectations.”
    Notice that Marcus d’Amico is *not* named in that list, and I doubt Maupin simply forgot to include him. So there’s a story there.

9. Diogenes Arktos says

@Uffda: FWIW – Go to wikipedia on Marcus d’Amico. There’s a quote from Maupin which denies “sexuality” as a reason for dropping him. Hmmm…

@Anastasia Bevearhausen: Thanks. How about More TOTC and Further TOTC?

10. UFFDA says

From noticing the pointed if not snotty way that Maupin refused to speak of d’Amico during a public talk some years ago – and now this on line snub – my guess is that Maupin is a Pri@k, plain and simple.

I do note from Wikipedia that d’Amico has gone on to have another acting career and I wish him well as he was the dearly charming heart of Tales. The other guy couldn’t really replace him anymore than Maupin can erase his radiance from the first half of the series.

11. FixItAgainTony says

Funny, I’d heard that Marcus had tried acting gay to get the part (gay-for-pay, shall we say?) but once he’d had it, was … difficult.
    While I ADORED Chloe Webb as Mona, I much preferred Paul Hopkins as Mouse. I would have done that man in a New York second. (I thought Nina Siemaszko played Mona as if she was already over the part by the time she started.)

12. Diogenes Arktos says

My friends in Cleveland were not pleased with Mouse’s comment about the city. When Maupin gave a book-signing there, he was challenged on it, and seemed utterly shocked that anyone would be offended.

13. jamal49 says

@UFFDA: Plain and simple, Armistead Maupin is a Pri@k. The books were moderately good (I preferred the newspaper serialization) but Mr. Maupin himself? Unpleasant.