Gay Marriage | Henry Rollins | News | Washington

Henry Rollins Again Proves Himself An Awesome Gay Ally

Rollins

In a post called "Gay Marriage is Punk Rock" at LA Weekly, former Black Flag frontman and perennial ally Henry Rollins celebrates marriage equality in Washington State and wonders when we'll finally be able to just call same-sex nuptials what they are: "marriage," no prefix, no suffix, no "othering."

From his piece:

Marriage equality is a term so ridiculous on its face that when you hear it mentioned, you would think you were in Riyadh. Years from now, perhaps we can lose the equality part, the same-sex part and call it what it is -- marriage. As much as the homophobes, an ever-thinning herd, whines and screeches, the earth is shifting underneath their feet and things are getting better all the time. This is going to be an incredible century. Didn't get off to a very good start but we are making some bold and exciting strides forward.

Rollins even predicts that there will come a day when there are no gay pride marches, writing, "One day, there will be no gay-pride parades because there simply won't be a need for them. Years from now, those who marched will be seen as heroic."

Comments

1. Henry has a big vision. And I would love to make him breakfast.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 20, 2012 12:35:59 PM

2. Henry is my hero. And I would love to serve him breakfast in bed.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 20, 2012 12:46:01 PM

3. he's right on all counts.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 20, 2012 12:50:39 PM

4. Yes, Henry is awesome. But I want to keep on having gay pride parades.

Posted by: Demian | Dec 20, 2012 1:03:10 PM

5. There will always be Gay Pride Parades, not marches. Just as there are parades to celebrate any number of heritages.

Posted by: Robocub | Dec 20, 2012 1:18:12 PM

6. He was a celeb crush that used to frighten me back when I was young and confused. So glad I was right on this one. LOVE him.

Posted by: AJ | Dec 20, 2012 1:21:21 PM

7. yes, they'll be celebrations of the past, to honour those who came before. :)

and it'll be glorious

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 20, 2012 1:22:12 PM

8. Henry's a hero. Period. (Way hot, too.)

Posted by: Geoff | Dec 20, 2012 1:23:15 PM

9. I saw Henry speak at a photography lecture in L.A. and met him afterwards. He is a fascinating person and is so passionate about what he believes in. Check out the followinf Nat Geo link to see some of his photos: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photos/music-on-photography-henry-rollins/

Posted by: Cameron | Dec 20, 2012 1:25:25 PM

10. I'm a gay punk and I'm married to a gay punk but there is absolutely nothing at all punk rock about marriage except for making your way through a gaggle of fundies protesting. After that fleeting moment, marriage in and of itself is muzak.

Posted by: marcos | Dec 20, 2012 1:35:47 PM

11. Hmm.....

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 20, 2012 2:07:47 PM

12. Man, I would so f* Rollins.

Posted by: MIchael | Dec 20, 2012 2:27:59 PM

13. @Marco

If you define yourself as "punk" you probably are not.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 20, 2012 2:28:07 PM

14. No more of Rollins the dorky closet-queer, please.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 20, 2012 3:21:46 PM

15. @Michael: Yeah really. Henry is hot.

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Dec 20, 2012 4:27:03 PM

16. JACK M - me first!

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 20, 2012 5:55:49 PM

17. I agree with Yupp, he seems like another closet case a la James Franco who constantly talks about everything gay as a way to be part of gay culture without having to admit they're gay.

Posted by: Yeah Right | Dec 20, 2012 8:48:53 PM

18. Yeah Right anyone on our side is gay. How stupid. Ever heard of diversity? Or do you just herd with the herd. Loser.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 20, 2012 10:58:44 PM

19. UFFDA : But Rollins' schtick has always been "I'm the big bruiser straight man who is so secure in myself that I praise the gays and that makes my straight self even MORE manly" and gays are supposed to go all ga-ga over that.

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 21, 2012 12:17:43 AM

20. YUPP. Huh? What's the matter with being a secure straight guy and supporting gay guys? Nothing. You're inventing the kind of nonsense that makes everything suspicious.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 21, 2012 12:50:18 AM

21. No, UFFDA, I don't feel that way about every straight (from Bruce Springsteen to Brad Pitt) who repeatedly supports gay rights. But Rollins has been doing it so heavily in such a coy way and for so long. And in such a seemingly patronizing way (like "me big straight man who protect you little sissies!"). So, I just do believe that about Rollins. Also, look at his personal life, and...how can you not think so?

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 21, 2012 1:00:37 AM

22. I'm glad we finally gave a shout out to Henry ! He has spoken out for us for DECADES - long before it was trendy for famous people to do so.

Posted by: Icebloo | Dec 21, 2012 1:27:01 AM

23. @AJ - I completely agree with you. I remember being in middle school and seeing him perform on SNL and being scared and confused by my attraction to him. Love him now!

Posted by: PG | Dec 21, 2012 2:13:32 AM

24. YUPP - fine...but "look at his personal life" ? No way, I've got too much to do as it is. Celebreties bore me unless they are truly exceptional people, most rare.

Posted by: UFFDA | Dec 21, 2012 3:19:06 AM

25. Why do gay men have to be so bitter.?
    Why does his defense immediately make him a closet case?
    Why is it sooooo important to out him.?
    How about accepting his praise and his GOOD wishes exactly for what they are and not turning it into something different.
    At least for today which has been labeled "the end"
    let's try really hard not to have any derogatory b*t#c*y remarks.
    And if ya gotta make them "phone a friend"
    I get so tired of the obviously unhappy people leaving their unhappy remarks on here.

Posted by: Darren | Dec 21, 2012 10:41:15 AM