Gay Marriage | Military | News

Marine Corps. Captain Matthew Phelps Asks Partner to Marry Him at the White House : PHOTOS

Snyder

Congratulations to U.S. Marine Corps captain Matthew Phelps, who proposed to his partner Ben Schock in the White House over the weekend.

Wrote Phelps: "Such a special night surrounded by wonderful people in an amazing place, and the best is still yet to come with Ben Schock. Thanks for all the wonderful greetings and messages, and thanks to Barack Obama and Michelle Obama for lending us your home for the occasion!"

Towleroad readers may recall Phelps as the Marine who last year shared a very inspiring story with us about taking a date to the Marine Corps Ball.

One more shot, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via gawker)

2_snyder

Comments

1. beauuuuutiful!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Dec 17, 2012 11:32:47 AM

2. So cute. All the best to these guys.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 17, 2012 11:34:54 AM

3. ....tears, not fears!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Dec 17, 2012 11:35:28 AM

4. I really wish we could create our own traditions instead of just mimicking heteros.

Getting down on one knee to propose? Really? Between two men?

Are we that un-original?

The idea should be to create a totally new male culture that makes love between two men compatible with masculinity, not to super-impose the rituals of male-female relationships onto our own.....

Posted by: Rick | Dec 17, 2012 11:39:56 AM

5. Rick : Although I don't mind what these two guys did, I appreciate what you're saying. Or even if we can't come up with a new one, maybe there was some ritual in ancient times.....like with the Sacred Band of Thebes or something?

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 17, 2012 11:45:33 AM

6. I'm going to take my husband to task on this. ;-) He could have at least taken me to the (then) Mayor's Office (Gavin Newsom with whom he is business friends) to propose but no..... he slipped into my shower and asked me there. I said yes because I did love him, my family loved and my Dad was already treating him like another son. It was a surprise because we had never discussed marriage other then his remark a few days earlier that "Gavin is going to allow same-sex marriage." He said it more in passing conversation and I don't remember responding.

Bush was President then so I'm not so sure I would have even gone to the White House if we had the chance. Congratulations to Matt and Ben. May your marriage be the happiest of all your endeavors.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 17, 2012 11:47:34 AM

7. BTW, there is nothing better than a naked marriage proposal. :-)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 17, 2012 11:51:03 AM

8. Congratulations to the happy couple!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Dec 17, 2012 11:52:18 AM

9. David Burtka first proposed to Neil Patrick Harris; then, Neil proposed to David a year later. That seems to have been their approach to upholding the obsessive egalitarianism of their relationship.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 17, 2012 11:54:28 AM

10. OS2 : Maybe naked at the White House woulda been REALLY cool . (LOL. But..congrats to you. A shower proposal sounds good to me! ).

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 17, 2012 12:06:17 PM

11. "The idea should be to create a totally new male culture that makes love between two men compatible with masculinity, not to super-impose the rituals of male-female relationships onto our own...."

Posted by: Blake | Dec 17, 2012 12:20:28 PM

12. So getting on your knee is now a no-no in the gay community because it is too heteronormative? Wow, some people will never be satisfied. I consider marriage pretty heteronormative, so why do gay people want it. I suggest that gays do what they've been doing for decades: screwing everything in sight while tweeking out and remaining the most std laden demographic in the country! Stick to the bath houses and parks...it's been a great blessing to your community.

Posted by: kay | Dec 17, 2012 12:24:47 PM

13. At least there's one Phelps that is not crazy and delusional.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Dec 17, 2012 12:29:34 PM

14. "What's 'incompatible' with masculinity about marriage proposals on bended knee? I usually agree with your commentary here a lot more often than other readers, but you're clearly overreaching here. There's nothing effeminate about the custom at all. It's merely a sign of respect and noble servility. Were knights being "faggy" when they got down on bended knee in front of a king to receive honors of the crown?"

A man proposing to a woman on bended knee is rooted in the culture of chivalry--which defines the parameters of male-female relationships, romantic and otherwise, which are quite different in all kinds of respects from same-sex relationships....and the bended knee symbolizes putting a woman (and women in general) on a pedestal, a ridiculous concept when two men are involved, who should be presumed to be equal.

The analogy with being knighted by a king (or a queen) does not work--in that instance, the bended knee is a recognition of the authority of the bestower of knighthood....again incompatible with the idea of two men being in a presumably equal relationship....

Posted by: Rick | Dec 17, 2012 12:35:37 PM

15. The most remarkable thing about this photo are the super casual shoes with that suit at the white house.

Maybe it's a generational thing but I can't believe this sorta thing makes news.

Posted by: David in NYC | Dec 17, 2012 12:42:13 PM

16. I agree that gay marriages (the ceremony) should be "gay", but it's their party, not mine. I have noticed a tendency for planned gay marriages to be outdorsy and informal. Perhaps TR readers can comment on their idea of an ideal ceremony.

Posted by: anon | Dec 17, 2012 12:42:54 PM

17. Whoa, Rick ! Good arguments there. But I'm not taking sides (your points are good too, Blake !)

Posted by: Yupp | Dec 17, 2012 12:44:27 PM

18. @KAY: Rick is the resident troll and he no more speaks for the gay community than you speak for the hetero... you might not want to use the same WIDE brush on the millions of LGBT people in this world.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Dec 17, 2012 12:49:32 PM

19. To Rick: So essentially gay men believe women to be lesser than men...Is that why the word "c*nt" flies so easily from the mouths of gay men? Because you despise and look down on women?

Posted by: kay | Dec 17, 2012 12:51:57 PM

20. I'm sitting at home, in Massachusetts reading all your comments and just shaking my head,laughing. My boyfriend recently proposed to me in front of my whole family on my birthday, which was 2 days after Thanksgivng. He did get down on one knee, and I cried my eyes out. Does that make him effeminate? Or am I suppose to be the effeminate one? Or does that mean our relationship isn't a relationship of equals? I'll leave these questions to you: the wise commentators of Towleroad.

Posted by: Lucas | Dec 17, 2012 12:59:31 PM

21. You know what? It's HIS proposal and if that's the way he wants to do it, then so be it.

He doesn't have to live up to anyone's expectations except his own.

Posted by: gerry | Dec 17, 2012 1:01:34 PM

22. I must admit, I haven't asked them. But, my sense is that most of the hetero couples I know did not do the proposal on bended knee.

To me, it's really anachronistic regardless of whether it's gay or hetero, but I certainly respect the concept of "to each his/her own."

Posted by: Anon | Dec 17, 2012 1:14:32 PM

23. Here's the thing. You don't get to tell other people what cultural traditions should or shouldn't have meaning for THEM! Like all us really, they're making it up as they go along, keeping what is good and meaningful to US and discarding the rest. That's what makes us individuals, each with our own history and rituals.

*I* wouldn't do it that way but I'm not the one in the picture so that's beside the point.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 17, 2012 1:20:04 PM

24. For a second there I thought the blond guy in the first photo was Daniel Craig

Posted by: hello | Dec 17, 2012 1:23:53 PM

25. I think the photos are beautiful and inspiring. And I am a hopeless romantic so the thought of the man of my dreams asking for my hand in marriage on bended-knee, I would have screamed!

@KAY, You must be hanging out with some really TOXIC gay guys if they talk to you like that. I personally love and respect all my straight family and friends and am grateful that they are allies and that I have their support.

Lucas, I wish I was lucky enough to have someone propose to me like your man did. I think it sounds completely romantic.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Dec 17, 2012 1:34:39 PM