Dana White | News | Sports | UFC

UFC President Lauds Lesbian Fighter Liz Carmouche

Carmouche

"It takes a brave person to come out," said UFC President Dana White yesterday while praising Liz Carmouche, a female fighter who recently said she's a lesbian, the first time a gay person has come out in the violent sport in which homophobia has historically been celebrated. (White recently said that his only career regret is releasing a video in which he used the term "faggots".)

Going on about Carmouch, White said:

I love what she did. I know I have the big ‘homophobe' persona and people think I'm some homophobe. I'm the furthest thing from it. I think it's ridiculous it's 2013 and the government tells two people they can't marry each other. Who is the government to tell two people who say they love each other they can't be married? It's ridiculous.

I applaud that she came out and that she's the first one. Good for her. I hope more do. It doesn't bother me one bit. Shouldn't bother anyone else either.

Carmouche is currently prepping for a February fight against Ronda Rousey for the UFC's first female contention. Unlike some people, Rousey insists she's not going to try any mind games to psyche her opponent out. She wants to keep things as positive as possible.

"Because it's a first-time event, because the first time for women to fight on a UFC card, and she's the first openly gay fighter, it doesn't need to be any squabbling or argument," said Rousey. "It's an extraordinarily positive thing, we don't need an argument to push it. It's a positive event and I don't mind there being no arguments. It sells itself. It's history."

Comments

1. If you actually pay attention to the UFC, homophobia is very much looked down upon. Dana White has said many times that he would welcome any openly gay fighters in the UFC.

Posted by: jay | Dec 20, 2012 10:49:53 AM

2. Being a avid MMA practicioner & fan myself I can honestly say that I haven't found homophobia to be a problem at all. I have to grapple men who know I'm gay all the time & while a certain amount of "smack-talk" occurs it's all good natured & I haven't felt any overt hatred

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Dec 20, 2012 11:23:59 AM

3. I actually agree, that a lot of UFC *fans* are very much not homophobic, at least the ones I know. Well, the mature ones. The teenage/young adult UFC fans are questionable for sure, but outside of them, you're talking about men and women who aren't insecure in their identities, the guys aren't insecure in their masculinity. So they aren't threatened by homosexuality. And that's a good thing.

Hopefully Liz wins her fight that's coming soon! And Dana White, although he did have that one incident where he used the f-bomb, has pretty consistently been pro-gay.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 20, 2012 12:09:34 PM

4. You go girl, but seriously, where are her breasts? Even women with very small A cups have visible breasts. I don’t mean this as an insult, just curious. Did she have them removed?

Posted by: Don | Dec 20, 2012 1:33:14 PM

5. @Don Women's breasts are primarily composed of adipose tissue, which is why when you see large breasts on a very slender model, it almost always means implants. Just so, the lower the body fat percentage, the smaller the breasts on a woman. With her abs the way they are, Liz is an excellent example of what a woman looks like with a single digit body fat percentage. You'll also see this in long distance female runners who tend to have a very low body fat percentage. She's also in a pose that tends to minimize breast size. Just to throw it in, body fat impacts a woman's hormone cycle, so women athletes with a low body fat percentage (or for that matter, women with anorexia) often have interrupted menstrual cycles.

Posted by: Ty Nolan | Dec 20, 2012 2:16:32 PM

6. Ick.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 22, 2012 2:10:24 PM

7. there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.Thank you for sharing to us.Please one more post about that..

Posted by: Custom Texans Jersey | Dec 24, 2012 2:13:23 AM