Andrew Rannells | Girls | News | Playing Gay | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Andrew Rannells is a 'Purebred' Gay

Rannells

[SPOILERY]

NY Mag's Vulture caught up with Andrew Rannells at the Cinema Society screening this week and asked him if he's ever, like his gay character Elijah will in Girls, experimented with a woman.

Said Rannells:

I personally have never had sex with a woman. I'm more of what you call gold-star gay. I'm purebred. So I knew it wasn't my thing, so I was like, Why do that? So I didn't.

Vulture seemed startled by the word 'purebred'. Added Rannells:

In my circle of friends, it's used. Like, "Andrew, he's a purebred." Yeah...I feel like I'm in the minority for a lot of gay men. Most of my friends have tried [having sex with a woman] at some point....Although, I have a lot of friends who, actually, after they've realized they're gay, they feel empowered in a way that they do some things that they didn't think they would do, like explore some things because they're a little more comfortable with who they are.

Anybody have any other names for 'purebred' or 'gold-star' gay?

Comments

1. Gy-NO-gay

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jan 11, 2013 8:31:47 AM

2. I was a c -section baby so I consider myself platinum star gay. Though I am now an Obgyn so I lose points for that.

Posted by: Zach | Jan 11, 2013 8:35:03 AM

3. I prefer to call the tainted ones "mudbloods" - thanks Harry Potter!

Posted by: Bry Guy | Jan 11, 2013 8:36:05 AM

4. In my day they were known as Kinsey 6s (or 7s)

Posted by: BZ | Jan 11, 2013 8:39:21 AM

5. I was also a C-section, so I joke that I am a super-hetero-virgin.

Posted by: homer | Jan 11, 2013 8:41:58 AM

6. My husband likes to say: "The only woman I've been inside is the Statue of Liberty".

Posted by: MammaBear | Jan 11, 2013 8:45:29 AM

7. Kinsey 6.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 11, 2013 8:51:11 AM

8. 7-Up "Never had it, never will"

Posted by: JohnP | Jan 11, 2013 9:09:11 AM

9. 'Rude'comes to mind.
    Those of us who have no never had sex with women are sometimes referred to as Kinsey 6.

Posted by: enough already | Jan 11, 2013 9:12:39 AM

10. Agreed with Jack M -- a total 6 on the Kinsey scale

Posted by: Chris Hall | Jan 11, 2013 9:15:25 AM

11. Because gays don't have enough petty classifications.

Posted by: ripper | Jan 11, 2013 9:17:22 AM

12. Strict or lifelong vaginatarian, with stress on first syllable, to rhyme with Madge. A bit counterintuitive (should describe straight guys), but it works for me.

Posted by: JCT | Jan 11, 2013 9:21:20 AM

13. I pretty much always went with "gay."

Experimenting with women, or feeling forced by the closet into pretending to be straight doesn't make anyone any less gay.

And for a lot of people, that sort of experience cements their identity for them in ways that it might not have done if they hadn't had the experience.

I've never had sex with a woman, but that's because I never wanted to, not because of some sort of purity idea.

I'm also perfectly aware that there are bisexual people in the world and that it all falls on a spectrum. If someone happens to actually have "a touch of the bi" that's simply a fact about them, not a value judgement.

At the same time, unless Rannells feels that there is a value judgement involved, I don't see the need to get worked up about his use of the word. He strikes me as playful, and its the sort of phrase that would reflect that.

Posted by: Lymis | Jan 11, 2013 9:28:38 AM

14. All brothers, all boys schools, never with women.......
    But I don't like "purebred"....it's elitist;
    "gold-star" is out for the same reason;
    "Kinsey 6".....doesn't quite do it;
    "7-Up" is obscure;
    I've been searching my brain but found nothing in there !!!!!!!

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 11, 2013 9:31:46 AM

15. I often refer to myself as a "Five-star Fag"

Posted by: 5SF | Jan 11, 2013 9:32:39 AM

16. I don't think Andrew Rannells is making a value judgement, I hope he's not ......he's just being descriptive.
    There's such an enormous range of "experienced" gays out there that the spectrum is of full colour, from the married with children to those of us who have never been near a woman.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 11, 2013 9:40:33 AM

17. I think it's cute.

Posted by: Adam | Jan 11, 2013 9:43:38 AM

18. He's a non-girlie boy!

Posted by: jerry Pritikinj | Jan 11, 2013 9:44:51 AM

19. In Ethan Mordden's "How's Your Romance?", published back in 2005, he has a character say something similar:
    "Ken doesn't like straights, you know. He's pure Chelsea. He's never had sex with a woman; we call that a 'thoroughbred'".

Of course, "thoroughbreds" are horses and "purebreds" are dogs ....

Posted by: Prof Sancho Panza | Jan 11, 2013 9:52:23 AM

20. I guess I'm a mongrel gay. If I were Catholic I could get an annulment and go purebred.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 11, 2013 9:57:59 AM

21. It's a funny term to describe his own experience, and I'm not sure how anyone could hear it and think it's trying to be elitist, much less get offended.

Also, I think sometimes there is a value judgment to be made, when an adult man knows he is gay (not bi or curious but gay) and is still having sex with women, dating women, marrying a woman, etc. At that point you're choosing to let your own weakness trump the welfare of other people, and that's not cool.

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 11, 2013 10:06:36 AM

22. I had sex with my best friend's sister when I was 18 because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I spent the entire time fantasizing about the baseball player Steve Garvey just to stay hard, so while I might have a * in my sexual history, I'm 100% homosexual, don't find women sexually appealing in the slightest.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 11, 2013 10:16:35 AM

23. Gld star gay = never had sex with a girl
    Platinum Gay = never had sex with a girl and born C-section, so never touched a va-jay-jay

Posted by: Jumper | Jan 11, 2013 10:29:55 AM

24. @ JUMPER :

That's good ! Ha ha.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 11, 2013 10:32:38 AM

25. I meant , "funny but dodgey"

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 11, 2013 10:35:43 AM