Barack Obama | Inauguration | Louie Giglio | News | Religion

Anti-Gay Pastor Louie Giglio Removes Self From Inauguration Line-Up

Karl1

ABC News journalist Jonathan Karl reports that Louie Giglio, the anti-gay reverend chosen to deliver the benediction before President Obama's inauguration, has been removed from the program. And apparently it was his decision.

Karl5

Karl6

Comments

1. damn, that was quick

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 10, 2013 11:33:37 AM

2. The POWER of LGBT, I like it!

Posted by: BRAINS | Jan 10, 2013 11:36:13 AM

3. Nice!

Posted by: C.J. | Jan 10, 2013 11:38:14 AM

4. Less than 24 hours. Damn. We've gotten good.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 10, 2013 11:39:38 AM

5. Seems like he was given two choices: recant your views, or remove yourself.

Posted by: Ezam | Jan 10, 2013 11:45:42 AM

6. He could have easily issued an "I've evolved" statement. I see his quick capitulation as a way of saying he hasn't. So, yes, it's a victory in some sense, but not in others.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 10, 2013 11:48:34 AM

7. He "pulled himself out"....so he's a top?

Posted by: Spikee | Jan 10, 2013 11:49:04 AM

8. Thank God, he did the right thing and bowed out.

Unfortunately, this incident will give Gigilo celebrity martyr creed in anti-gay circles.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Jan 10, 2013 11:54:38 AM

9. Yeah, he "graciously" pulled himself out when Obama gave him the option or he would fire his ass publicly. ;-)

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 10, 2013 11:55:49 AM

10. One has to wonder just how stupid it was of the Inauguration Cmte to select this guy in the first place without checking out his views on the LGBT community when they had the exact same issue 4 years ago with Rick Warren.

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 10, 2013 12:01:13 PM

11. I've seen no indication whatsover that Obama spoke to him to demand that he recant or change his views in anyway.

Any speculation that this administration gave Giglio any sort of ultimatum is just that: speculation, or -- given Obama's history in exactly the same sort of situations -- wishful thinking.

Posted by: fritzrth | Jan 10, 2013 12:02:37 PM

12. Bryan Fischer was already complaining about the gay agenda opposing Gigilo. His head will explode now.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Jan 10, 2013 12:03:26 PM

13. I think this had much more to do with Giglio maintaining his fundie street cred than anything else.

What little street cred Rick Warren had was lost once he performed in Obama's first inauguration.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 10, 2013 12:06:48 PM

14. I'm with Anonymous, what kind of idiots are running the inauguration? Are they not checking anyone's prior statements. Since President Obama is for equal rights for LGBT you'd think they would do a little home work.

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 10, 2013 12:09:49 PM

15. Well done to all those who ferreted out his anti GLBT comments and exposed him. The accountability for one's actions and statements lives on.

At least Hagel apologised and evolved as so many have.
    Giglio is obviously unreconstructed.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 10, 2013 12:20:20 PM

16. "I've seen no indication whatsover that Obama spoke to him to demand that he recant or change his views in anyway."

So, you've already checked your White House sources? Ok.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 10, 2013 12:22:20 PM

17. Maybe they should just drop the entire idea of an invocation, given that we have that tiny idea of separation of church and state.

Though I also think they should drop inaugurations for presidents entering their second terms. Waste of money. I remember getting dragged to Reagan's inaugurations and getting special access because my father worked for a senator, and they were awful--and not just because it was Reagan. They're all awful.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 10, 2013 12:25:45 PM

18. @Paul R

I see what you're saying as far as dropping second term inaugurations altogether but the President is elected (not necessarily reelected) every 4 years so I have no problem with a ceremony that looks back and looks forwward at the same time.

Now a one term, 6-year President...you could sell me on that.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 10, 2013 12:35:57 PM

19. *slow clap*

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 10, 2013 12:41:17 PM

20. Giglio, not Gigilo, and certainly not Gigolo. It's pronounced JEEL-yoh.

That is all.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 10, 2013 12:49:34 PM

21. Derrick from Philly, have you checked with the official White House statements? I was responding to the comments that Obama had given him an ultimatum, that Obama told him to recant or he would fire his ass publicly. There have been no official news reports that that was the case, and I seriously doubt that the White House would release a report saying anything like that.

Posted by: fritzrth | Jan 10, 2013 12:49:39 PM

22. Alright, FRITZRTH, I get it now. I apologize. I'm just in my Eve Arden mood today.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 10, 2013 1:01:44 PM

23. Of course they wouldn't release a statement like that. They made a quiet agreement to allow him to save face. That's how these things always play out.

ChiTown Kev: I could see a 6-year term working out terribly in many cases. An obstructive or ineffective president from either party could cause a lot of damage. I like the idea, but neither party has exactly advanced the best candidates in recent years--and the good ones get ousted almost immediately.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 10, 2013 1:03:04 PM

24. This is good news.
    The preacher can preach to his hate filled flock and the gay poet can speak to all Americans. Yahoo.
    Thanks for those who exposed the blatent hypocrisy of this man of GAWD! Bravo

Posted by: SFshawn | Jan 10, 2013 1:27:01 PM

25. Hey, Derrick. No problem. You do Eve so well! B-)

Posted by: fritzrth | Jan 10, 2013 1:33:36 PM