1. anon says

    This sort of foam is mostly bacteria and mud, but since it comes from the sea it can’t be more harmful in general that sea water. Don’t inhale it though, since you might get the stuff in your lungs. The fact there is so much bacteria in the water suggests some sort of runoff issue, perhaps sewage, but could be excess nitrogen fertilizer.

  2. johnny says

    The combination of both sewage runoff and excess fertilizers is what causes an excess of sea foam once they combine with organisms and the salt content of the ocean. The combination produces a chemical emulsifying effect (the same thing that makes suds with soaps). This happens in the gulf when certain temperatures and wind conditions are just right, but to a much lesser extent.

    And no, I would not let that stuff touch me or get in my mouth at all. Nasty.

Leave A Reply