Advertising | Gay Advertising | Las Vegas | News | Travel

BigGayDeal.com

'Even Straight People' Welcome In Vegas, Says Ad Campaign

VegasAdT

Hoping to entice more gay travelers to their glittering strip, the Las Vegas tourist board commissioned a series of ads featuring average looking middle aged straight couples amidst gay and lesbian revelry. The captions read "Everyone's welcome; even straight people."

I've included three other examples, via BuzzFeed, AFTER THE JUMP.

VegasAd1

VegasAd2

VegasAd3

VegasAd4

Comments

1. I find Vegas to be a glitzy golden sad sh*t hole filled with losers at the end of their rope.

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 20, 2013 11:37:39 AM

2. Gay people who don't look like models, however, are not welcome.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 20, 2013 11:51:36 AM

3. Too bad the state Vegas is in happily banned same sex marriage, so screw them.

Nevada's full of sleazy hypocrites.

Posted by: Lucrece | Jan 20, 2013 11:55:18 AM

4. I'm not sure what's more bothersome. Their idea that gays and lesbians don't mingle or that gay people are all thin, fit and attractive with vast knowledge of the proper use of hair gel.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 20, 2013 11:55:42 AM

5. Gay world, okay.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 20, 2013 11:56:54 AM

6. Gross. I would hardly think of Vegas as a gay destination.

Posted by: zeddy | Jan 20, 2013 12:09:30 PM

7. The comments above pretty much sums it up as far as I am concerned. Vegas -vulgar, cheap and phony- a destination place ---not so much.

Posted by: nick | Jan 20, 2013 12:30:13 PM

8. people, please. the ad is not perpetuating a stereotype of gay men all being fit and attractive. 99% of advertisements use models who are fit and attractive.

Posted by: joe | Jan 20, 2013 12:30:44 PM

9. Clearly this "gay" advertisement campaign was thought up by straight people.

Yes, gay marriage is banned in Nevada so no shotgun gay weddings there either.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 20, 2013 12:39:55 PM

10. Well, it works for me. I totally want to go to Vegas now.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jan 20, 2013 12:44:12 PM

11. I think it's sleezy, but I don't find anything offensive in this ad campaign. It's a good thing they're reaching out to the community, but that doesn't mean Vegas is a place to go if you're gay.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 20, 2013 1:15:12 PM

12. It's funny how dorky the straight people are.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Jan 20, 2013 1:26:54 PM

13. The Vegas Chamber of Commerce unveiled this campaign at the IGRA convention in November. They have been very eager to attract more gay events to town, and I think the way they are positioning themselves as an adult entertainment destination is smart. Based on the thinking of some of the commenters, there are 40 states or so that we should spend money in ( including California). Not really realistic.

Posted by: John | Jan 20, 2013 1:32:00 PM

14. Sorry...should have been "shouldn't spend money in."

Posted by: John | Jan 20, 2013 1:32:48 PM

15. So I guess Vegas has fallen on hard times and now will hods its nose and accept/seek the gay dollar.......Gee, thanks !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 20, 2013 1:44:19 PM

16. I think the fact that gay men aren't welcome to see most male entertainment on the strip gives me enough info about their values

Posted by: snb14 | Jan 20, 2013 2:08:04 PM

17. Having just spent the weekend there on business I can tell you the place isn't fit for anyone with any self-respect.

Posted by: stranded | Jan 20, 2013 2:38:09 PM

18. I find it fascinating that the straight people are still the focal point of these ads. It still isn't about the gay man/woman, it's still all about the straight man/woman...

Posted by: Gmitch | Jan 20, 2013 2:56:35 PM

19. It amuses me to think the boring middle America het couples whom these ads are targeting (?) would be enticed by these scenes. "We could be that couple, honey!"

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 20, 2013 3:16:32 PM

20. Yeah, a straight couple that met an hour ago in a sleazy casino lounge can go to a tacky pink "chapel" and get married by an Elvis impersonator and it's 100% recognized world-wide.

A same sex couple together 20 or more years, raising children together... sorry, that would destroy the sanctity of marriage.

Posted by: Craig | Jan 20, 2013 3:22:40 PM

21. Cheap (not inexpensive,tho), gaudy and sleazy. And if I wanted to do the gambling thing, I can do it approx. five miles from my house.

Posted by: Goodcarver | Jan 20, 2013 3:39:54 PM

22. Just ask any of the bastards shoving titty bar fliers in you face where the gay bars are; then tell me again how welcoming this scum-hole of a city is.

Posted by: 99% | Jan 20, 2013 5:14:03 PM

23. Writing off or boycotting an entire state because it does not allow gay marriage is incredibly short-sighted. Last I checked, every single one of those states still has millions of people who do support equal rights for lesbians and gays. Economically punishing that minority (which often times is only a few percentage points smaller than the majority) is rather insane.

If you disagree, how do you feel if the concept is reframed? Since the majority of US states do not have marriage equality, do you believe that people from other countries should unilaterally boycott the entire USA?

Posted by: alex | Jan 20, 2013 7:40:16 PM

24. Such bad marketing! Someone needs to take a class or two.
    But it's probably the tourist board filled with boring people who decided what the campaign would look like.

How does this campaign appeal to anyone at all?

Posted by: Tanoka | Jan 20, 2013 9:35:04 PM

25. Is it just me, or does that guy sitting down in the bottom left of the first ad look like Kirk Cameron. Funny if so, that the gay couple are looking down at him and saying "Even straight people are welcome!"

Posted by: OberonOZ | Jan 20, 2013 9:47:21 PM