Comments

1. Bill says

One interesting thing about the map is that the western U.S. has a population pattern (as long as you don’t go too far east) that resembles that of the U.S. around 1800 – most people living near the
    coast and very few further inland, with the heavily
    populated area laid out in a line. Fortunately, the fastest form of communication we have is much better than a sail boat carrying mail up and down the coast.

2. Randy says

At the inaugural luncheon, Chuck Schumer proudly pointed to a painting of Niagara Falls, promoting it as a wonderful thing about New York and the US.

You can see it yourself here:

The problem is Niagara Falls encompasses two large falls (and a tiny one we can ignore for now). The American Falls are on the left of the painting. And in the middle of the painting are the Horseshoe falls, which are most certainly in Canada.

And the painter (Ferdinand Richardt) would have had to be in Canada, to paint that particular angle.

And now, the US Census operates in Canada too? I know there are a lot of US citizens up here, but certainly not as many as all that.

But if the US Census would like to enumerate Canadians as well, you certainly couldn’t do a worse job than our own government, who botched the last one.

3. Darrell says

Last time I checked that string of lights in the NW portion of the map with Calgary on the southern end and Edmonton on the northern end connected by the QEII Highway were located in the Province of Alberta not the State of Alberta…..Also this would add 10 States and 3 territories to the legalized gay marriages list, funny though how the US census bureau included Canada in the map while eliminating Mexico…….

4. MikeW says

@Randy & Darrell: The Towleroad headline is misleading.

The page says quite clearly at the top “This is a map of every person counted by the 2010 US and 2011 Canadian censuses.”

5. anon says

If you zoom in a little bit you can see “webbing” from the highways. Also, nothing is even remotely like the northeast corridor in terms of population. Mexico would be like a series of very dark dots where the major cities are, but little else.

6. David Hearne says

I suspect that the purpose of this map is to encourage the uneducated or unquestioning in the belief that there is plenty of room for mass immigration and the destruction of our culture and way of life.

7. ratbastard says

Jesus H. Christ…look at the northeast corridor. I don’t know id this is 100% true, but I’ve heard it’s the biggest megalopolis in world, even bigger than Tokyo-Kyoto.

8. David Hearne says

Rat bastard – There is a surprising amount of open land in that black swath. I wouldn’t consider it so much a megalopolis as I would suburban sprawl and serial urban blight.

9. ratbastard says

@David Hearne,

Megalopolis:

‘…an extensive metropolitan area or a long chain of continuous metropolitan areas…’

David, it’s a megalopolis. By it’s very nature it has massive sprawl, urban and suburban.

10. David Hearne says

ratbastard

I stand corrected. I have to say, it was a neat situation before the traffic became impossible at all times. It used to take just under four hours to get to New York from DC by car. For a young gay man, to have Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York pretty much as my roaming zone, when a friend asked me to move to San Francisco I initially declined because it was so small and isolated.