Barack Obama | John Boehner | Michelle Obama | News

Lip Reader Decodes Boehner Joke That Prompted Michelle Obama's Epic Eye Roll: VIDEO

M_obama

What prompted Michelle Obama's epic eye roll at House Speaker John Boehner?

Inside Edition thinks they have it figured out.

We asked expert lip reader Larry Wenig. Wenig believes John Boehner is asking President Obama whether he had a chance to have a cigarette before the luncheon.

President Obama gave up cigarettes three years ago. Boehner is a known chain smoker.

Our lip reader, Wenig, caught Boehner saying, "Somebody won't let you do it", referring to Michelle, which prompted the first lady's big eye roll.

Watch the clip again, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. No idea if that's what he said, but we've all heard Boehner enough to know that whatever he said, he deserved more than an eyeroll from FLOTUS.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Jan 23, 2013 9:03:06 AM

2. Bad joke and not funny, shows lots of disrespect. No wonder MB looked the way she did.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 23, 2013 9:06:26 AM

3. Mrs. Boehner is sitting next to her husband. Please note she is not smiling.

One would hope the President responded with, "Well, I love my wife and children so much I decided not to kill myself with cancer sticks like you're doing. Just another reason I'm better than you."

But it looks from the video that something happened that needed them to applaud.

Posted by: james | Jan 23, 2013 9:15:35 AM

4. I still don't see an eye roll, epic or otherwise. She looks toward Boehner, then out front, then back at her food.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 23, 2013 9:16:47 AM

5. that's funny... so he deserved the diss.

Is anyone surprised?

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Jan 23, 2013 9:32:06 AM

6. As most of the American people have just done: a quick eye-roll...then smiling wisely into the future. The GOP is dead.

Posted by: Geoff | Jan 23, 2013 9:34:32 AM

7. Boehner's personality is so unattractive and his smoking just further completes the package to make him so off-putting

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 23, 2013 9:39:36 AM

8. I can't believe no ones noticed the point when he taps her on the arm and she pulls her arm closer to herself. LOLS!!! She obviously does not like him.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 23, 2013 10:09:48 AM

9. You people are too funny. It was a harmless joke...small talk, chitchat...it lightened the mood. And her body language and response is exaggerated, which indicates she found it amusing ,also.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 10:13:49 AM

10. I notice the two men seem to get along fine...it's the 'ladies' who seem to have attitudes. Same as in the real world outside the white house, women tend to be more sensitive and easily offended and 'hurt' than males. Yes, I KNOW...I said something un-P.C., it doesn't fit the 'progressive' narrative.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 10:16:49 AM

11. You said something misogynist, but that's really par for the course for you.

Posted by: Polyboy | Jan 23, 2013 10:21:17 AM

12. Yes, I did, Polyboy. It's a GENERALIZATION made to make a point...I'm sure no 'progressive' would not understand making generalizations to make a greater point.

Males and females are different [this is generally not a good or bad thing]. We generally think, feel emotions, etc., differently. The reason there's often conflict between the genders [aside from various ideologies that encourage conflict and radicalization, and marketing/advertising techniques] is some females and males simply refuse to acknowledge [for whatever reason[s]] our differences. This makes me 'Misogynist' to think and say this, Polyboy?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 23, 2013 10:48:10 AM

13. I'm waiting for the Bad Lip Reading version.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 23, 2013 11:03:36 AM

14. And this chain-smoking tool will probably never get cancer...shame.

Posted by: Johnny | Jan 23, 2013 11:12:43 AM

15. Yeah he's so tough 'cause his wife lets him smoke. She's probably hoping for an early death!

Posted by: Ted | Jan 23, 2013 12:57:33 PM

16. ...so maybe it's not the spray-tan that makes him orange; maybe he's smoked -- like a ham...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 23, 2013 2:09:30 PM

17. @Lee, not only does she move her arm, but she repositions it in a more defensive manner blocking Boehner. There are just too many gems in this little clip! LOVE HER!

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jan 23, 2013 2:42:48 PM

18. Three years? Good for him. Michelle made him stop? Good for her, and him. Why doesn't Boehner's wife make him stop?

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Jan 23, 2013 2:44:01 PM

19. So which is it, Ratbastard? She got the joke or she was incensed? If you're going to troll for a response, you could try to be consistent. Or don't, and keep bringing the lolz. I actually agree with your first take, that she got the joke. Looks like she found it as about as funny as lung cancer.

And it's really, really rich of you to generalize women as being hypersensitive when you have John "I have multiple Tumblrs dedicated to pictures of me crying" Boehner at the same table.

Frankly, I think the FLOTUS exhibited a significant amount of restraint given that she was groped by a soggy Oompah-Loompah. I'd have jumped out of my skin faster than Angela Merkel being shoulder-rubbed by George W. Bush.

Posted by: AG | Jan 23, 2013 3:53:57 PM

20. The tool is famed for freakin' passing out checks from the tobacco industry on the House floor.

He has all the class and bearing of an ashtray.

Posted by: Gry | Jan 23, 2013 5:20:57 PM

21. She is at an event honoring her husband's inauguration and the boner is making jokes and popping her on the arm like they are sitting in an elementary school cafeteria. Eye roll justified.

Posted by: MoMo | Jan 23, 2013 5:31:33 PM

22. Boehner's lucky she didn't slap him for that disgraceful act of familiarity.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Jan 23, 2013 6:46:25 PM

23. Boehner (looking at Michelle) to Obama:

"You gonna eat that?"

Posted by: Jobo. | Jan 23, 2013 11:35:38 PM

24. If that is what Boehner said, it was a joke. The kind of shot guys take at each other when making small talk.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 23, 2013 11:46:35 PM

25. Maybe someone's said this already (I didn't read all of the comments) but I don't think I've ever seen the First Lady eating! She could be picking her nose and I'd still think she's pretty damn awesome.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 24, 2013 12:16:44 AM