American Idol | Fantasia Barrino | News

BigGayDeal.com

Fantasia Barrino's Anti-Gay Remarks Ruined Her Week: 'Middle Finger Up to Those Who Seak (Sic) to Destroy Me'

Rant_fantasia

Former American Idol contestant Fantasia Barrino, whose remarks about gay marriage and The Bible made headlines last week, took to Instagram once again to express her anger (see the image she posted, above).

Said Barrino: "My whole team is gay, my manager is gay, middle finger up to those who seak (sic) to destroy me. It won't work."

Said Barrino in her original posting: "I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERNMENT THE church House… Everybody Trying!!!!!!! Its a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!! I'm not doing Nothing for you… My Life!!!!"

She later released a personal statement, saying "I don't want to be judged."

Comments

1. The Bible talks about weed? Really?

I myself give her room to grow & evolve. Her heart's in the right place I think. So many in our culture has had anti-gay stuff shoved down its throat since childhood. It's difficult to overcome that conditioning within a few years. It's like being indoctrinated with religion -- anti-gay sentiment IS part of most religions -- and hard to break the chains. She's trying. So, props.

Posted by: will | Jan 4, 2013 10:13:06 AM

2. Umm.. if you don't want to be judged, two suggestions:
    1. Stop posting crap judging others. To go back to elementary school: "You started it".
    2. Go back to high school and finish some sort of English class - or get a GED. What you write is often unintelligible, poorly written, and full of spelling errors. It just makes you an easier target!

Posted by: MarkRocks | Jan 4, 2013 10:13:39 AM

3. Yeah, I'm judging.......and my verdict is; Stop writing until you are fluent in the language and for heaven's sake learn to spell !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 4, 2013 10:15:05 AM

4. Someone send her to a linquist and don't let her tweet until she completes English 101.

Posted by: Mykelb | Jan 4, 2013 10:15:22 AM

5. In her defense, you really can't hold an idiot accountable.

She footnoting the thousands years old words of men who would have seen her as a slave or less.

Yawn... is anyone else tired of hearing about dimwitted bible-thumpers?!

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Jan 4, 2013 10:16:32 AM

6. No idea who this moron was before this blew up but she is SO STUPID. It is very clear that her original statement was anti-equal marriage.

Posted by: danswon | Jan 4, 2013 10:18:40 AM

7. @MYKELB

*linguist

Posted by: danswon | Jan 4, 2013 10:19:37 AM

8. Someone needs to get this lady into a remedial English class.

Posted by: jersey | Jan 4, 2013 10:21:08 AM

9. Now she's getting desperate and it's pathedic.
    She was VERY clear with her original comments, no one took her statement out of context. She clearly made a connection with "gay marriage" (marriage equality, get with it sweetie) and the Bible, saying the world has gone mad going against His word with things like gay marriage. Clearly she believes this book of nonsense. Slavery is rampant throughout the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments, how does she feel about that?!

Posted by: Mark | Jan 4, 2013 10:21:21 AM

10. PS : the apostrophe seems to have completely passed her by.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 4, 2013 10:24:31 AM

11. It got *blown up* because she allowed it to. She should have explained what she meant, instead of citing her gay manager and supporters. If she is seriously interested in putting out the flames, she should sit down with someone who can write, and have them help her explain it well instead of continuing to blame the people who *misunderstood* her.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 4, 2013 10:27:12 AM

12. It always makes me laugh when (semi) famous people make stupid statements in public forums and are then surprised by the public backlash. If you want to live your life on stage, then you have to be prepared for the audience reaction. Poor English aside, will someone please tell her that you can't fix a stupid rant by continuing to rant and that the "but I have gay friends" defense doesn't work.

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 4, 2013 10:28:01 AM

13. . . . and she's so articulate! what is it, do you suppose, she was trying to say?

Posted by: goodogcarl | Jan 4, 2013 10:28:28 AM

14. She was completely illiterate during her run on Idol. Afterward she admitted it and learned how to read. Regardless of your reaction to her initial statement, getting all nasty towards her because of her lack of education makes you all look nearly as bad as she does.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 4, 2013 10:29:02 AM

15. Who really cares what she said no one is that inportant to put all this thought into.

Posted by: mark | Jan 4, 2013 10:29:12 AM

16. I kinda believe that she just had no idea how to verbally express herself.

Posted by: Carl | Jan 4, 2013 10:38:00 AM

17. This is PRECISELY why punctuation and composition matter--without it, you have a close to zero chance of being understood the way you intended.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jan 4, 2013 10:40:52 AM

18. I actually understand what she is trying to say. Don't be too harsh on her, she was illiterate before and the fact that she learned how to read and write at her age is commendable.

Posted by: darkorient | Jan 4, 2013 10:50:50 AM

19. For better or worse, she is in the public eye and she WILL be judged by her actions and her statements. Perhaps she made the initial statement in a pique of anger and it doesn't represent her rational self -- but she is no more immune to criticism for her outburst than someone like Charlie Sheen. If you hold your tantrum in public, you're going to be called-out for it; count on it. She needs to understand the reasons so many people found her words objectionable and I don't think she gets it. "My best friends are gay" does not excuse "but deep in my heart I know this is somehow bad."

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 4, 2013 10:53:59 AM

20. Desperation is always so pathetic.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 4, 2013 10:56:20 AM

21. How sad - I respect her for respecting the gay community. I do not doubt that. It is just this immature ghetto behavior that is far to rampant in the pop stars of today. She has unpleasant victimization issues.

Posted by: rjp3 | Jan 4, 2013 11:07:11 AM

22. Ugh! Everyone's a freaking victim! Why does anyone care what this illiterate drama queen thinks anyway?

Posted by: Matt | Jan 4, 2013 11:22:35 AM

23. I've been bemused by those who try to explain this kerfuffle (which is all it is - she's not THAT important) by saying she didn't know how to express herself. I can't replicate her unique verbal stylings but there clearly was a statement "doing things the bible tells us not to - weed, gay marriage." That linking cannot be put down to to difficulty with language. Sure she may be gay friendly - to a point. But when anyone uses my right to equality as an example of the world gone mad; they're not my friend.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 4, 2013 11:48:37 AM

24. It's not that she only loves the gay community, she loves everyone. She tries to be as humble as she possibly can and the minute she does something people take it and run with it. Anything to make a good person look bad. And people know that gays are hypersensitive and they saw that and was like HELL NO. And she was speaking up for herself.

Posted by: fafad | Jan 4, 2013 11:54:06 AM

25. It's not that she only loves the gay community, she loves everyone. She tries to be as humble as she possibly can and the minute she does something people take it and run with it. Anything to make a good person look bad. And people know that gays are hypersensitive and they saw that and was like HELL NO. And she was speaking up for herself.

Posted by: fafad | Jan 4, 2013 11:59:39 AM