Crime | Football (American) | I'm Gay | Kwame Harris | News

Former NFL Player Kwame Harris Charged with Attacking Ex-Boyfriend

Kwame Harris, a former offensive tackle for the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders, was scheduled to appear in court today on charges he attacked his ex-boyfriend in a dispute over soy sauce and underwear, the Daily Journal reports:

HarrisHarris, 30, is charged with felony counts of domestic violence causing great bodily injury and assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury in the Aug. 21, 2012 incident. He has pleaded not guilty but was held to answer after a preliminary hearing last fall. He is due back in court today for a pretrial conference to either settle the case or confirm a jury trial hearing.

The man, Dimitri Geier, is also suing Harris civilly for assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Harris and Geier were no longer involved when the fight took place, according to Harris' attorney:

Harris was to drive Geier to San Francisco International Airport but instead became upset when he poured soy sauce on a plate of rice, according to the suit filed in San Mateo County Superior Court. The men argued for approximately seven minutes and Harris said he would no longer take Geier to the airport, the suit states.

As the men left to remove Geier’s belongings from Harris’ car so that he could instead take a cab, Harris tried pulling the other man’s pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear, according to the suit.  Geier unsuccessfully tried pushing Harris away but the bigger man shook him violently and punched him in the arms, the suit states.

Harris was arrested at his home following the fight, which sent Geier to the ER.

Harris' attorney says his client was acting in self-defense and claims Geier's suit is an attempt at extortion.

Harris has never publicly said he is gay.

Comments

1. I would have been embarrassed to even file something that ridiculous - real or not.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 28, 2013 5:30:09 PM

2. soy sauce and underwear.

SOY SAUCE. on a plate of rice.

i'm sorry, i'm trying to picture this all going down and all i can imagine is the side-eye likely being given by all witnesses.

SOY. SAUCE......

(?)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 28, 2013 5:31:58 PM

3. I know domestic violence (or ex-domestic violence) is not funny. I shall not laugh at this. Lord, help me not to laugh at this....please.

You know, plenty Gay guys played highschool football--especially down South. Why wouldn't they play in college and go on to the pros? Not surprising he's Gay...or something or other.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 28, 2013 5:33:27 PM

4. Find a way to bring up soy sauce on the first date.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 28, 2013 5:34:29 PM

5. soy sauce is the new HIV-disclosure.

no fats, no fems, no soy sauce.

and all this time i thought it was simply a food-analogy for racism...

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 28, 2013 5:38:29 PM

6. When your attorney makes you look like an @ss, it's time to find a new attorney.

Last straws are sometimes quite ridiculous.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 28, 2013 5:41:30 PM

7. They never serve soy sauce rice in Chinese or Japanese restaurants. It must be a special treat.

Posted by: simon | Jan 28, 2013 5:44:16 PM

8. I can just hear part of the explanation - "I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is."

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 28, 2013 5:46:53 PM

9. Soy sauce argument followed by attempt to steal underwear. YES, IT HAPPENED IN......SAN FRANCISCO.

Seriously, though, it would be nice if a former NFL player could come out and it not be through a criminal charge (as in this instance), dying of AIDS (Jerry Smith), coming clean about prostitution and drug abuse (Roy Simmons), or some other calamity.....I guess Esera Tuaolo's case was fairly clean.....so was Wade Davis's, but he was a fairly obscure player.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 28, 2013 6:00:58 PM

10. Playing without a helmet obviously, I just wonder who's going to play him in the movie "Underwear Theif"? In cases like this, I'm glad that all gays do not come out of their closet while playing... as for the soy sauce... it does leave a nice after taste depending on what you put it on! Chances are he was not gay when he first came to the 49ers... butt changed after tail-gating with those fans with the nice Pom-Poms!

Posted by: jerry Pritikinj | Jan 28, 2013 6:03:03 PM

11. If you know yourself to be an idiot certain to be involuntarily outed in an embarrassing manner due to the out of control way you live your life, would't it make more sense to out yourself in advance, while you can still do it with some dignity.

Of course, the flaw in the logic is that idiots may not know themselves to be idiots.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Jan 28, 2013 6:05:54 PM

12. I just realized that there's no such thing as a culture of effeminacy. There's only a culture of gay men who are unafraid of coming out and being visible members of society, and men who are afraid of coming out and being visible members of society. I'm part of the latter. Many of us pretend there's a culture of effeminacy as an excuse to not be real men and stand up to be counted. But, as I just realized, that makes no sense. I mean, if we all came out then it would end that non-existent culture, right? Yes.
    So, there we have it. I just learned something. There is no culture of effeminacy. There is only a Closet Culture, and effeminacy is the excuse that fully-grown adults like myself use to justify our insecure fears about coming out.

I apologize to everyone for the stupidity I have shown, and for my own cowardice. I should rightfully be showing myself as a visible and strong masculine gay man, to end the culture of effeminacy I've so often railed against, but I just realized that it's a completely fabricated culture. It doesn't exist. It's just something closeted adults like to tell ourselves so we don't feel quite as weak and insecure as we know ourselves to actually be.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 28, 2013 6:11:01 PM

13. To give some insight, as soon as I saw my own words I realized how stupid they were. Wouldn't all those sports players coming out put an end to the culture of effeminacy I've so often talked about? Yes. But, as I myself am not out yet, I realized that what gay men like myself have been doing is not just cowardly, but is in fact the very reason for the culture we like to pretend exists, that we then choose to complain about. Football players and men like myself can't sit and wait for others like us to come out, nor for the men we consider to be effeminate to go away. We have to come out ourselves and be the visible change that we want to see. But that's the problem - it's too hard.
    It's a lot easier to do what I've wasted more than 50 years doing, which is to hide and blame everyone who isn't hiding for my own problems.
    I just realized this when I typed this sentence: "Oh, well, maybe when the culture of effeminacy has been eradicated, but probably not before then."

How could I have been so stupid? How could I be so stupid as to believe that a non-existent culture would need to be eradicated when the truth is actually as simple as nearly every gay person already knows: nothing changes unless we all come out.

I myself will never come out. But I do apologize for all the shameful projections of my own insecurity that I have lumped onto others. It's nobody's fault but my own that I'm not yet man enough to come out.

Well, it's partly my mother's fault. She was a fem and also a woman, and I'm not too keen on women. Women shouldn't be allowed to be mothers.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 28, 2013 6:22:38 PM

14. Kwame might be bi. Just because a man has a relationship with a man, it doesn't mean that his relationships are reserved for men only.

Yes, Virginia, many men DO have genuine relationships with men and women at different times in their lives.

Posted by: jason | Jan 28, 2013 6:24:50 PM

15. I think some people didn't both to read the linked article--this was neither about soy sauce, nor underwear. It was a case of assault,resulting in serious injury. The complainant had to have surgery to repair a broken orbital socket. Harris' attorney responds, however, that his client was physically attacked, and that the punch was in self-defense.

Is it fun to mock and minimize what happened because these men are African-American? Because they're closeted? Because they're tenuously linked to the NFL?

All the cowardly, self-loathing, pus-oozing Rick-soundalikes come to commment.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 28, 2013 6:27:44 PM

16. "Harris has never publicly said he is gay."

And is now relieved of that responsibility in the most humiliating way imaginable.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 28, 2013 6:29:05 PM

17. I'd venture a guess that this fight wasn't really about soy sauce.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 28, 2013 6:36:28 PM

18. I love Rick's "rethinking". Brilliant. Don't you love the interwebs?

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 28, 2013 6:44:43 PM

19. Having sustained the same kind of injury after a gay-bashing - an orbital blow-out - along with other broken bones (the bashers hit me in the face with a brick), I know it is nothing to laugh about and Geier could have permanent damage as a result. That being said - soy sauce and underwear? I am going to guess this wasn't the smoothest-running relationship when it was happening, 'cause there are some major unresolved relationship issues here.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Jan 28, 2013 6:50:27 PM

20. Well, thank you Seattle Mike. I just realized as I saw my own words how utterly ridiculous they were. You'll have to forgive my years of endless prejudice and unintelligent rhetoric that I've plagued these boards with. It's been very hard for me to accept that those effeminate men that I was brought up to hate are actually stronger men than I am, and that I need to live as fearlessly as they do if the world I want to see is to ever become a reality.

I cannot believe that I've been blaming a culture of effeminacy when the reality is that those men I've been conditioned to hate are doing what I, and many other men, should be doing. Which, of course, is to live our lives openly and proudly with no apologizing for who or what we are.

It's going to be a very hard habit for me to break. I may even retire a few of my internet aliases, to boot.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 28, 2013 6:53:03 PM

21. Funny as it often is, can we please spin-off the Kiwi vs. Rick show to another website?

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 28, 2013 6:54:02 PM

22. Soy sauce on rice is even better with sesame oil, and if available, small cubes of fried tofu. Yuuum! Does not go down well with underwear though.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Jan 28, 2013 8:07:32 PM

23. So terribly ghetto.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jan 28, 2013 8:19:26 PM

24. OMG! I've been in that restaurant!

Posted by: Bill | Jan 28, 2013 8:21:27 PM

25. I have difficulty caring about this, or Taiwano, or Florida Superbritches, the Kardashians, or some whiny poet who performs at the inauguration. Surely the gay community hasn't come to this.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jan 28, 2013 8:25:39 PM