Honey Boo Boo | Lee Thompson | News

BigGayDeal.com

Honey Boo Boo's Uncle Poodle Says He is HIV-Positive, Pressed Charges Against Boyfriend

Lee Thompson (aka Honey Boo Boo's Uncle Poodle), reveals he is HIV-positive in an interview with Atlanta's gay magazine Fenuxe:

UnclepoodleDino: Lee, when did you find out about your HIV status?

Lee: I was adamant about getting my HIV status checked on a regular basis. On March 16, 2012, I tested negative. Then, in May of 2012 my test results came back positive. I knew it had been my boyfriend who infected me. I later learned he had been HIV positive and was not taking medication and had not bothered to tell me about it. I was advised that I should press charges and, hesitantly, I did. It was the right thing to do.

Dino: What happened to your ex?

Lee: He is serving a 5-year sentence. I would have been cool with his HIV status if he had been honest. I don’t have an issue with the disease. I would have known how to protect myself.

Dino: What is your message to folks having unsafe sex?

Lee: They are damn fools! They are playing Russian roulette; they are playing with their lives and that of their sexual partners.

Previously...
The Tao Of Uncle Poodle: Honey Boo Boo's Kinsman Speaks Out [tlrd]
A Pro-Gay Message from Honey Boo Boo: VIDEO [tlrd]

Comments

1. Although I feel for him for being HIV positive, but come on!

"I was adamant about getting my HIV status checked on a regular basis."

A person is adamant about getting tested, great! But then has unprotected sex, REALLY STUPID!

Posted by: Ron | Jan 15, 2013 12:58:47 PM

2. Criminalizing a disease is unethical and typical of Southern idiocy.

Posted by: Mykelb | Jan 15, 2013 1:05:20 PM

3. Ethically, you should disclose your status and I think in some jurisdictions it's criminal not to disclose as well -- as it should be.

Posted by: jawole | Jan 15, 2013 1:08:58 PM

4. Mykelb,

You're a bit misinformed. It's not the infection of HIV that is a criminal act.

The criminal act is when an infected person fails to disclose their HIV positive status to their sex partner.

Posted by: Shawn | Jan 15, 2013 1:12:49 PM

5. yeah sorry buddy but it is your responsibility to take care of yourself. all you have done is put a sick man in jail and perpetuated the stigma against HIV Positive people.

Posted by: Bellah | Jan 15, 2013 1:15:23 PM

6. Yes, typical of Southern idiocy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_transmission_of_HIV_in_the_United_States

These states have laws that prosecute individuals for criminal exposure of HIV: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia,[2] Idaho, Illinois,[3] Indiana,[4][5] Iowa,[6] Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan,[7] Mississippi, Missouri,[8] Montana,[9] Nevada, New Jersey, New York,[10] North Carolina[11], North Dakota, Ohio,[12] Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.[13][14]

Posted by: Kendall | Jan 15, 2013 1:19:52 PM

7. @Bellah
    You are right on one point and wrong on the other.

Yes, it was Lee's responsibility to ensure his own safety by protecting himself. But the "sick man in jail" should be in jail for purposely NOT disclosing his positive status!

Posted by: Rosie Cheeks | Jan 15, 2013 1:21:38 PM

8. There are a number of things about this story that don't seem credible...or at least seem "off". Why would he have tested 2 months apart (March then May of 2012)? How could he have then gotten married to someone else in August 2012? Even the criminal prosecution and sentence seem a bit questionable. I think someone needs to do a bit of digging here...

Posted by: Rob | Jan 15, 2013 1:22:21 PM

9. psst! MYKELP !! The Civil War is over, sweetie, so put down your bugle and musket balls....

Posted by: Jakrabt | Jan 15, 2013 1:23:58 PM

10. Criminalizing HIV transmission? How Palinesque!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 15, 2013 1:30:53 PM

11. I sympathize with his HIV status. And I think ALL states should have a law making it a criminal offense to knowingly infect another human being with the virus and not informing sexual partners of your status. Although I'm not sure how you avoid abuse in a he said/he said situation. If at all unsure, use a condom, period.

And yes, I get the impression some parts of this story are missing.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 15, 2013 1:32:09 PM

12. There's clearly more to the story here. Why is Poodle getting tested every 2 months if he has a boyfriend? He clearly never trusted him or himself.
    And the boyfriend simply refused to take any meds? Ya, right.
    Putting this man in jail for not disclosing does nothing but ruin another man's life. Are we going to start putting people in jail for failing to disclose Hepatitis? the new incurable gonnorhea?

Posted by: drumstick | Jan 15, 2013 1:33:07 PM

13. It's not the transmission that's criminal, it's knowing that you COULD transmit and actively lying about it that's a problem. Cry about stigma all you want, but as someone who IS positive, I think that not telling someone and letting them make their own decision is sick.

Posted by: MB | Jan 15, 2013 1:37:04 PM

14. When you play with fire you will get burned. Anybody still having unprotected sex (doesn't matter what type) is really asking for it.

Posted by: Anthony | Jan 15, 2013 1:44:57 PM

15. Not knowing anything about this man, I don't really care about the particulars of his story. But, yes, knowingly infecting your sex partner by lying about your status is, and should be, a crime. Such laws don't stigmatize or criminalize being positive. They stigmatize and criminalize being an irresponsible and deceitful sex partner.

And while we're at it, can we please rid ourselves of this ridiculous notion that HIV is no longer a big deal?? Yes it is now very manageable, thank God. But it is still a major life disruption under the best of circumstances. And adopting a cavalier attitude is destructive and even lethal.

Posted by: Lars | Jan 15, 2013 1:46:01 PM

16. MARCUS BACHMANN,
    You're also missing the point, unless you're just trying to be funny.

It's not the transmission that is criminal. If someone knows that their sex partner is HIV positive, chooses to have unprotected sex and then becomes infected, that was their choice.

The criminal act is when an infected person has sex without disclosing their positive status before having sex.

Posted by: Shawn | Jan 15, 2013 1:51:30 PM

17. Both parties are at fault here. Uncle Poodle for not wearing protection and his partner for knowingly lying about his status and infecting him.

I have no issues with this being criminalized. If you are HIV positive and knowingly infecting people with no regard for their well-being, you're a sick individual and need to be dealt with.

People, wear condoms! End of story. No point in playing such a dangerous game. And thank you Lars, I'm sick of people making light of HIV/AIDS like it's nothing. People are still dying before their time in the US because of this disease. And that's not including the rest of the world, where people aren't nearly as fortunate.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Jan 15, 2013 1:56:51 PM

18. I wish with my boyfriend for over 3 years and we never once had unprotected sex. It's just something I don't want to get in the habit of doing. Because, if I'm in the habit of doing it then in a risky situation I'm more likely to unsafe. I just think having unsafe sex is a bad habit to get into even when you're in a long-term relationship.

Posted by: steve | Jan 15, 2013 2:01:34 PM

19. I later learned he had been HIV positive and was not taking medication and had not bothered to tell me about it. I was advised that I should press charges and, hesitantly, I did. It was the right thing to do. -- NO!! NO!! NO!! The right thing to do would have been not expose your a&&-hole to someone you don't really know. BB = DEATH!!!!! The only person responsible for your health/safety is yourself.

Posted by: Ted in Dallas | Jan 15, 2013 2:03:15 PM

20. Why is everyone so eager to place the blame and responsibility on someone else? Its your life and your responsibility.... all you have to do is ask.....Are you HIV positive? Simple and straight forward. I guess this generation is so "entitled" that someone else must take care of them. Grow up! Accept responsibility for your behavior. My husband of 18 years and I had this conversation the day we met.

Posted by: major707 | Jan 15, 2013 2:04:20 PM

21. @jawole..."Ethically, you should disclose your status and I think in some jurisdictions it's criminal not to disclose as well -- as it should be." So you have no responsibility for your own health?

Posted by: Ted in Dallas | Jan 15, 2013 2:06:23 PM

22. yeah sorry Rosie cheeks but we are all responsible for our own risk factor. he had unprotected sex with someone he didnt really know. Whether or not he witheld his status and why is besides the point. We all are responsible for ourselves. as long as there is fingerpointing there will be new infections

Posted by: Bellah | Jan 15, 2013 2:18:43 PM

23. Um... the quote "...he forgot to take his meds"? Really, and that makes it SAFE? What an idiot.

Sorry, I don't feel for the guy.

Posted by: 99% | Jan 15, 2013 2:22:02 PM

24. this is a great article that is right on point about ending the blame game

Posted by: Bellah | Jan 15, 2013 2:22:04 PM

25. The plan for new boyfriends is obvious.
    Discuss it, get tested together, always use condoms, and keep getting tested together.
    Something so simple is hard to understand because the community has a self-destructive streak a mile wide and has chosen not to deal with the issue for thirty years.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jan 15, 2013 2:23:30 PM